Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Will the Jandd Extreme Front Rack fit...?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-10, 07:31 AM
Voltaire

Bikes: Bridgestone MB-Zip, Custom Track Bike and Kona Unit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Will the Jandd Extreme Front Rack fit over a 27" tire?

Thanks for your time!
John ^_^
Old 07-14-10, 07:42 AM
LeeG

Liked 88 Times in 71 Posts
if it does I'd be worried whether the back of it will hit your downtube when the bars are turned 60degrees. On my 700cLHT the the back edge of the rack hit the down tube bosses and gear ferrules. IMHO this is a design failure that the IRD or Surly rack addresses.
Old 07-14-10, 10:38 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,363 Times in 868 Posts
See the 'what do you use this (top front) eyelet for?', thread ..

27" tires will have you bringing a spare to mount , you understand as the market left that size behind.
Old 07-14-10, 11:22 AM
jeveretts

Bikes: Koga Miyata Traveller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LeeG
if it does I'd be worried whether the back of it will hit your downtube when the bars are turned 60degrees. On my 700cLHT the the back edge of the rack hit the down tube bosses and gear ferrules. IMHO this is a design failure that the IRD or Surly rack addresses.
Does it on a 26" 52cm trucker too...
Old 08-05-10, 08:55 AM
Voltaire

Bikes: Bridgestone MB-Zip, Custom Track Bike and Kona Unit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In case anyone was wondering the rack fits great over my tire and fender.
Old 08-06-10, 09:09 AM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I replaced my Tubus with a Jandd Extreme because I wanted to try a front rack with a platform. I liked it so it's still on the bike and the Tubus is on a shelf in my shop.

The Tubus came with spacers, which were necessary for the bolts that go on the sides of the forks. The Jandd didn't come with spacers but they were necessary, so I used the ones that came with the Tubus. You can buy nylon spacers at the hardware store that would probably work fine. If they didn't fit exactly it would be easy to buy them a little long and cut them down. They're cheap.

The Extreme is a great rack - very sturdy and rigid, and I like the platform. However, there are a couple of things I don't like.

1) When the front wheel flops around (which happens constantly when you load up the front) the top corner of the Jandd hits the adjusting barrels on the downtube. So far it hasn't caused any damage, but I wish they had thought of that. It seems like they could change the bend on top of the rack to take care of this without hurting the effectiveness of the rack.

2) The bottom portion surrounds the wheel skewer so closely that I can't get the front wheel off without removing the skewer. That's not a big deal but it's annoying, especially if one of the little springs falls into the bushes.