Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

i was marked as 'prey'

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

i was marked as 'prey'

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-05, 04:39 PM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Terex
Pepperdine area = hills; Central Park = not hills
thanks for the insightful comment. perhaps i should uproot myself and move out to pepperdine where the "riding is real". LOL...give me a break. this isn't a pissing contest on who has the biggest hills or not.
Old 04-28-05, 04:49 PM
Avalanche325

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze / GT Avalanche

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hipcycler
Does it always have to be about who's in front of who? Who dropped who? Or was it who that dropped whom?
Ummmmmmmmm, Yes. It does.
Old 04-28-05, 05:52 PM

I do that sometimes. If there's a cyclist I see off in the distance, I make it a speed interval and see if I can pass them. I wouldn't yell and make it known I'm doing it, though. That's kind of mean.

-K

Old 04-28-05, 07:52 PM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by timmhaan
a story about two sweaty dudes on bikes chasing down another sweaty dude on a bike isn't your idea of a good story?
Great, it's like my own personal crying game.
Old 04-28-05, 09:14 PM
lowracer1
lowracer ninja master

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm guilty of chasing down any faster looking roadie that I see. Its good for doing sprint practice. Challenges are great. Even though its not an actual race, when someone answers your challenge, its a personal thing from there.
Old 04-28-05, 09:26 PM
Spuds McDoogle
No virtual racing here

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Racing is not chasing down a roadie with a recumbent. Two different platforms. There is no challenge to passing someone out training that is not riding the same bike design and is not officially racing.

If you want a challenge to race against recumbents similar to the one you own come to Morris.

https://doctorvision.com/grundy/morris2005schedule.jpg

World record holder Sam Whittingham will be there racing recumbents in Stock and Streamliner. If you are a fast recumbent racer that likes a challenge you can race Sam at Morris.

Spuds

Originally Posted by lowracer1
I'm guilty of chasing down any faster looking roadie that I see. Its good for doing sprint practice. Challenges are great. Even though its not an actual race, when someone answers your challenge, its a personal thing from there.
Old 04-28-05, 09:33 PM
lowracer1
lowracer ninja master

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was I talking to you? I think not. I was responding to another post. If you want to respond to the original post, then do so. If not, then go somewhere else and quit harrassing me.
Old 04-28-05, 11:22 PM
Serpico
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is this a joke? You chase down a "roadie" on your lawnchair with wheels..?

You're like a luge racer bragging about how he chased down a guy on ice skates.

Was there any kind of sonic boom when you broke the "speed-of-silliness" barrier?

Your post is so humorous that I honestly thought you were joking. Keep it up, you're better than Alan Keyes in a GOP Presidential debate --funny and you don't even know it.

Last edited by Serpico; 04-29-05 at 12:56 AM.
Old 04-29-05, 01:43 AM
nbf

Bikes: Handbuild steelframe racer shimano 105/ultegra mix, Kildemoes alu frame hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does it always have to be about who's in front of who? Who dropped who? Or was it who that dropped whom?
Well thats sort of the purpose of riding bikes?

I was out riding neighborhood loops yesterday during the lunch break. There was another rider going in the opposite direction doing the same loops. I've seen this guy out riding a few times over a year, and I swear that he has never even come close to waving back, much less speak to me. The way that this guy operates during these encounters is to try and shorten the interval to when we pass again. So if he passes me deeper into my loop the next time around he just grins as he passes, like he gets a point or something. I can see him riding past my house while I am gearing up, going slow and easy. As soon as I hit the road though he hammers like a maniac. After a few laps around he will start cutting across the neighbor, or will pull out and hide to shorten the interval when he gets tired. It is really something to see, and it is actually entertaining too.

And yes I should be above all this but I can't help but jack with the guy. So what I do in these situations is to keep at my pace and basically just ride the guy into the ground. And man does he hate it. He will do everything but farmer blow me every time that I come by late in the ride. He really goes from grin to death look by then too.

So yesterday was the first time that I have had this guy doing this during my lunch ride. It usually just happens in the evening or every now and then on the weekend. And since I had to get back to work, I really didn't have time to go forever. So I decided just to try looking fresher and fresher every time that I passed him. It's hard to describe, but I could tell from his expression and body language that he was getting more and more pissed. I was down to my last few minutes of ride time, and yes I'll admit that I was all the more determined not to quit before he did. So the next time that we passed each other, as a last resort I made sure that I was whistling. I guess that did it, because that was the last that I saw of him.
I could really see his face when reading this
The situation would be ideal for a movie. Perhaps you should take the day off and follow him home constantly bypassing him then letting him catch up.
Old 04-29-05, 10:00 AM
Spuds McDoogle
No virtual racing here

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lowracer1,
I am not harassing you as you suggest and I am not posting any foul language directly to you.

I have posted a link to the Morris, IL race that will allow you the opportunity to race Sam Whittingham who currently holds the IHPVA Battle Mountain record and is currently the fastest cyclist in the world with the Varna Diablo.

If you want a challenge to race someone fast please come to Morris and race Sam and other recumbent racers with the same bike classification. Stock.

Spuds

Was I talking to you? I think not. I was responding to another post. If you want to respond to the original post, then do so. If not, then go somewhere else and quit harrassing me.
Old 04-29-05, 11:18 AM
roadgator
raodmaster shaman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i had a group of three cyclists sort of do this to me. it was one very strong rider on the front with 2 others basically sucking his wheel the whole time i saw them them.

right as i got to a big 2-mile flat through a praire they cruised past me. i was tempted to speed up and jump on the back, but i knew i wouldnt have a chance of pulling on the front at that speed so i just kept chugging along at my same tempo.

but then about a mile acrost the praire they pulled off at an over look for no apperent reason, and let me pass. not 20 seconds after i pass they are back on the road again with the big guy hammering at the front.

they pass me again right where the flat ends and goes into a short uphill. both times the leader said "on your left" and gave a nod as he passed the second time. i didnt realy mind cus he was a strong and cyclist seemed prety polite about it, but the two wheel suckers didnt so much as glace my direction either time and were obvioulsy gloating about passing me, even though they did none of the work.

BS like that makes me leary about going on a group ride. theres no politics when you ride alone.
Old 04-29-05, 11:21 AM
galen_52657
Banned.

Bikes: 2001 Look KG 241, 1989 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp, 1986 Gatane Performanc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think lowracer1 and spuds are one-and-the-same
Old 04-29-05, 11:34 AM
Sawtooth
All Bikes All The Time

Bikes: Giant TCR 0, Lemond Zurich, Giant NRS 1, Jamis Explorer Beater/Commuter, Peugeot converted single speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hipcycler
Can't we all just ride bikes?

That is something slow people say! Just joking with you.
Old 04-29-05, 11:39 AM
Sawtooth
All Bikes All The Time

Bikes: Giant TCR 0, Lemond Zurich, Giant NRS 1, Jamis Explorer Beater/Commuter, Peugeot converted single speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by galen_52657
They go after each other on the recumbent forum as well (as I recall from a post I listed; maybe it was someone esle). I kind of like old "spuds" though. He has a different outlook.

Last edited by Sawtooth; 04-29-05 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-29-05, 11:45 AM
Spuds McDoogle
No virtual racing here

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No I'm not lowracer1.

Unlike lowracer1, I see no validity or value in posting comments on the net about going faster than roadies with a stock recumbent or a recumbent with fairing. I see ZERO value in post like "I made a diamond frame rider puke."

IMOP diamond frame roadies who are competitive train harder than recumbent racers, they do group training rides, they have higher power output and they have more opportunities to race with a USCF license. Any recumbent rider who makes claims about how fast they are in comparison to a diamond frame racer is not being honest.

The only recumbent speed results that are valid are the ones posted at WISIL in the race results archives. Recumbents vs. recumbents. Not recumbents vs. USCF diamond frames. Currently, only a few Stock recumbent racers in the USA have averaged 27+ mph in a 50 lap velodrome race. Anyone who says they easily pedal a recumbent to 34 mph on the road is not telling the truth.

https://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/hpra.htm

Spuds

Originally Posted by galen_52657
Old 04-29-05, 05:19 PM
shoerhino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's a guy I see once in a while who seems to enjoy chasing people down too. If he sees me going in the opposite direction on a trail, he will immeidately turn around, put the throttle down and pass me while on his aero bars.

At first, it annoyed me but I'm not training for a race or hanging my hat on the fact that I'm the fastest person on a bike so why care? Now when he passes me, I just smile and say hi. Granted, he really doesn't say anything when he passes but some people are motivated for competition. Those people will only be one step better than other people they encounter....
Old 04-29-05, 05:20 PM
Serpico
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spuds - PBJ guy with coroplast recumbents and bent-muffler-pipe velomobiles. Spuds not only uses PBJ as carb/fuel, but also employs it as "PBJ protection" to avoid road rash. You will often see Spuds walking his velomobile up a 4º incline, whistling and "smelling the roses".

lowracer - don't know this guy, but I don't think he is Spuds. I've seen them squabble several times before. Quite a ruse to pull off if it's the same guy.
Old 04-29-05, 05:46 PM
lowracer1
lowracer ninja master

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spuds McDoogle
lowracer1,
I am not harassing you as you suggest and I am not posting any foul language directly to you.

I have posted a link to the Morris, IL race that will allow you the opportunity to race Sam Whittingham who currently holds the IHPVA Battle Mountain record and is currently the fastest cyclist in the world with the Varna Diablo.

If you want a challenge to race someone fast please come to Morris and race Sam and other recumbent racers with the same bike classification. Stock.

Spuds
And what does that have to do with this post. YOu've posted that stuff 10 times already in other threads. What are you getting at.?
Old 04-29-05, 05:52 PM
KirkeIsWaiting
the dog ate my earbuds

Bikes: Colnago CT-1 B-stay Campy Carbon Record, '05 Litespeed Siena Campy, Bridgestone X03 , Peugeot dream bike gets FIXED, Waterford Campy Record Colbalto, Motobecane Tandem in perfect condition, A Belgium made Bertin that was sent by an angel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slvoid
I thought you were gonna give me a story about being chased by a bunch of women or something.

And I thought the story would go something like.....

"...chased down, beaten up, bike stolen and mugged of cash and chapstick (lipgloss)!"

Consider yourself lucky. Central park seems like a friendly place compared to Atlantic City.
Old 04-29-05, 05:54 PM
lowracer1
lowracer ninja master

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ziggurat
Spuds - PBJ guy with coroplast recumbents and bent-muffler-pipe velomobiles. Spuds not only uses PBJ as carb/fuel, but also employs it as "PBJ protection" to avoid road rash. You will often see Spuds walking his velomobile up a 4º incline, whistling and "smelling the roses".

lowracer - don't know this guy, but I don't think he is Spuds. I've seen them squabble several times before. Quite a ruse to pull off if it's the same guy.
NO I am not spuds. He has other multiple personalities, but not me. Did I say anywhere in this post that I was bragging about passing a roadie? NO.

I requote......" I'm guilty of chasing down any faster looking roadie that I see. Its good for doing sprint practice"

I said it was good for sprint practice. It takes a lot of work to catch back up to a group when they have a good lead on you. I fail to see how I was bragging in this post. Geez I see many other riders here that do the same darn thing. Why did spuds single me out here? because he is the master troll. that is why. I can't post anything on bikeforums without spuds tossing his pbj's all over the fricken thread.
Old 04-29-05, 06:31 PM
Spuds McDoogle
No virtual racing here

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I requote......" I'm guilty of chasing down any faster looking roadie that I see. Its good for doing sprint practice"
What good does that prove? You chase a roadie down with a tailfaired recumbent and pass him. Not too much exciting or impressive with that.

Can you chase down fellow HPV racers at a recumbent race riding the same bike? If you can that is rather impressive.

If you want to ride with and catch roadies then ride the same USCF regulated bike and play on a level playing field with them. My guess is any of the roadies you constantly post about passing can easily pass you if you were on a diamond frame like them. It requires more watt output to ride a USCF bike at 25+ mph than a recumbent. Passing roadies with a recumbent is nothing to brag about.

Spuds
Old 04-30-05, 12:13 AM
ultra-g
Retired Member

Bikes: Bianchi Pisa, LeMond Poprad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was one of them an old man on a yellowish Colgano? I can't stand that guy. He looks like Yassar Arafat.

Originally Posted by timmhaan
i was doing some laps in central park last night - just kind of riding tempo. anyway, as i came up to the main hill i passed a couple of guys. they watched me pass and i heard one of them tell the other to 'slow up' and to 'let him get ahead' (meaning me). about 3/4 up the hill they blow by me, beat me to the top, and then promptly slow down and coast down the other side.

grown men acting like children!! i thought it was kind of funny, but also kind of stupid. every season i always forget what a 'scene' it is in central park. but that's the first time i was targeted as prey and hunted down for sport. at least where i could hear their intentions. hehe.
Old 04-30-05, 12:22 AM
bmph8ter
crackhead

Bikes: mario

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like playing the chase/be chased game while out on the bike. Wifey and I usually bet hot fudge cake sundaes (Baskin Robins rocks) on catching the next rider.