Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

My 16yo son was hit by a car in a crosswalk ...advice..

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

My 16yo son was hit by a car in a crosswalk ...advice..

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-10, 06:15 AM
The Human Car
-=Barry=-

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CB HI
And the other common myth is:
"It might be legal to ride on the sidewalk but it is illegal to ride in crosswalks"

I find that an amazing number of cyclist here even believe it. A senior cop here even told that to a news crew and was quoted in the Honolulu paper. I left a message for him and asked him to please call me back to provide some information. He never called back, but after getting his voice mail several times, he happened to pick up the phone. He finally admitted that there was no such crosswalk law.
The crosswalk laws I am familiar say something to the effect "yield to pedestrians in the crosswalk." With no mention of bicyclists. So bicyclists are not afforded the same legal protection in a crosswalk as pedestrains. To give cyclists legal protection some places try to enforce dismount and walk. This is what leads to the misconception that it is illegal to ride in a crosswalk, it's not but cyclists have no legal right of way either in a crosswalk... use the road and utilize a vehicle right-of-way or get off and walk, those are your options.
. . /L
=()>()
Old 07-26-10, 07:22 AM
mulveyr 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Box Dog Pelican, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmitt
Hey, now. We only victim-blame in A&S here.
According to the OP's description of the actual point of contact: "hitting my son directly in the middle of her car. " If that means the bike and the car came into contact between the front and back seats on the side of the car... then HE hit HER, not the other way around. The OP also indicated that the car was stopped at the stop sign, implying that it wasn't a rolling stop.

Regardless of whether it's legal to ride on the sidewalk or through the crosswalk where she lives, I'm failing to see how the cyclist doesn't get the bulk of the blame for the incident if he's going so fast though a crosswalk with a vehicle stopped at the intersection that he can't stop if the vehicle moves.

This is why I teach my kids that when they're on the sidewalk, they NEVER cross in front of a car unless they get an active acknowledgement from a driver that they have been seen.
Old 07-26-10, 07:47 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
I don't know about the OP's locale, but here it is a requirement that all injury accidents require a police report. Here, that driver could have been cited, post-facto, for hit-and-run (regardless of fault,) and the police officer would be disciplined for not making a report.

The other side of the coin was, the kids shouldn't have been riding that way. Drivers expect to see pedestrians in crosswalks, not bikes going 2x or 3x that fast.
Old 07-26-10, 09:04 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 4310 Post(s)
Liked 1,387 Times in 967 Posts
Originally Posted by apclassic9
I would also suggest that you and your son get hold of your local traffic laws to see how bikes are addressed. Some localities treat bikes as pedestrians, and some as vehicles.
I suspect that, if bicycles are allowed on the sidewalks and crosswalks, they are effectively pedestrians in those places. (Keep in mind that small children riding bicycles on sidewalks are not treated as "drivers of vehicles".) Laws about riding on the sidewalk are different and vary by city. Often, it's not allowed for adults.

If the bicyclist is on the road, then bicycles are always/everywhere treated as vehicles.
Old 07-26-10, 09:08 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by mulveyr
According to the OP's description of the actual point of contact: "hitting my son directly in the middle of her car. " If that means the bike and the car came into contact between the front and back seats on the side of the car... then HE hit HER, not the other way around. The OP also indicated that the car was stopped at the stop sign, implying that it wasn't a rolling stop.

Regardless of whether it's legal to ride on the sidewalk or through the crosswalk where she lives, I'm failing to see how the cyclist doesn't get the bulk of the blame for the incident if he's going so fast though a crosswalk with a vehicle stopped at the intersection that he can't stop if the vehicle moves.

This is why I teach my kids that when they're on the sidewalk, they NEVER cross in front of a car unless they get an active acknowledgement from a driver that they have been seen.
That's what I thought myself upon the first and second reading of the post, but the op also said that both the front and back wheel were both damaged, suggesting that perhaps the op meant the hit occurred in the front middle of the vehicle.

It is rather ambiguous, though...
Old 07-26-10, 09:11 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by The Human Car
The crosswalk laws I am familiar say something to the effect "yield to pedestrians in the crosswalk." With no mention of bicyclists. So bicyclists are not afforded the same legal protection in a crosswalk as pedestrains.
A driver isn't supposed to determine whether or not the thing in the cross walk is walking or riding a bicycle.

Considering, especially, that it's often small children who are riding bicycles on sidewalks, the driver is obviously required to yield to anything in the crosswalk.

The common mistake that people make is thinking that people on the sidewalk are not required to take traffic into account before they enter the crosswalk. Actually, sidewalk users are not really allowed to leap into the crosswalk without looking.

Once the person is in the crosswalk, drivers have to yield to them. That is, the default behavior required by the driver is to avoid a collision by always stopping. Keep in mind that the requirement to yield isn't changed by how the person happens to get into crossway. That is, drivers have to also yield to stupid/careless crosswalk users.

The problem with bicycles on sidewalks is that they can move faster than drivers expect and be hard to see (if they are moving quickly). That is, if a bicyclist enters into a crosswalk too quickly, it may not be possible for a driver to yield to them.

Anyway, the standard practice for entering crosswalks is to stop first (and look for traffic). People who fail to do this are practically (if not legally) partly to blame.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-26-10 at 09:22 AM.
Old 07-26-10, 09:24 AM
njkayaker

Hey, now. We only victim-blame in A&S here.
Do you really think that riding into a crosswalk without stopping is a safe practice?
Old 07-26-10, 09:24 AM
TiberiusBTkirk

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What advise is the OP actually looking for?
since it's a child, in some places they are allowed to ride on the sidewalk.
if it's medical expenses, NYS has the No Fault law that covers that. you can still file a police report.
Old 07-26-10, 09:30 AM
PaulRivers

Originally Posted by TiberiusBTkirk
What advise is the OP actually looking for?
since it's a child, in some places they are allowed to ride on the sidewalk.
if it's medical expenses, NYS has the No Fault law that covers that. you can still file a police report.
I think partly the OP is wondering wth is going on with the police department - first the officer doesn't file a report, they say that his son can file a report later, then the person at the police station says there's nothing to be done except contacting the insurance company (who will, in all likelyhood, ask for a copy of the police report).

I'm sure the OP might appreciate any experience on this bit.
Old 07-26-10, 09:41 AM
mulveyr 

Originally Posted by njkayaker
Anyway, the standard practice for entering crosswalks is to stop first (and look for traffic). People who fail to do this are practically (if not legally) partly to blame.
Absolutely. One of the things that I see on A&S, in particular, is the mentality that it's always the driver's fault when a cyclist gets hit. They expect drivers to never, ever do anything that could possibly endanger anyone, anywhere, under any circumstances. Apparently they've never been in situations where they've been driving and come around a curve and suddenly been blinded by sun glare, or been at an intersection when a teenager with a sense of invincibility shoots across in front of them, or the cyclist simply gets lost in the visual noise of streetlamps, signs, large mailboxes, etc.

Everyone on the road and sidewalks needs to assume that everyone else is distracted and doesn't see them. And even then, sometimes crap just happens.
Old 07-26-10, 09:45 AM
mulveyr 

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I don't know about the OP's locale, but here it is a requirement that all injury accidents require a police report. Here, that driver could have been cited, post-facto, for hit-and-run (regardless of fault,) and the police officer would be disciplined for not making a report.

The other side of the coin was, the kids shouldn't have been riding that way. Drivers expect to see pedestrians in crosswalks, not bikes going 2x or 3x that fast.
I can't see that any reasonable person would be able to interpret this as a hit-and-run; By the OP's own description, the driver got out, a police officer became involved, and then he sent everyone on their way.
Old 07-26-10, 09:48 AM
Dean7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow. I'm glad your son is OK! Things could have gone much differently.
Old 07-26-10, 10:26 AM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The crosswalk laws I am familiar say something to the effect "yield to pedestrians in the crosswalk."
Are you sure that's what they say?

(To make matters worse, that sign is right in front of a school.)

But remember; some states consider a human powered vehicle in the crosswalk to be a pedestrian. Or do you think that it's fine to run over a baby stroller as long as you don't hit the walker pushing it?
Old 07-26-10, 10:26 AM
The Human Car
-=Barry=-

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can't see that any reasonable person would be able to interpret this as a hit-and-run; By the OP's own description, the driver got out, a police officer became involved, and then he sent everyone on their way.
Without the exchange of insurance information it could well be considered a hit and run. The fact that the police seemed to facilitate this I find disturbing. Sure the police can have policies about no report unless serious injury or over $XXX amount of property damage but that does not relive the duty to exchange insurance information.
. . /L
=()>()
Old 07-26-10, 10:35 AM
The Human Car
-=Barry=-

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by KD5NRH
Are you sure that's what they say?

(To make matters worse, that sign is right in front of a school.)

But remember; some states consider a human powered vehicle in the crosswalk to be a pedestrian. Or do you think that it's fine to run over a baby stroller as long as you don't hit the walker pushing it?

I am not saying I agree with the crosswalk laws but riding in crosswalks can offer cyclists complications in court. If you don't like it change the laws.
. . /L
=()>()
Old 07-26-10, 10:36 AM
PaulRivers

Without the exchange of insurance information it could well be considered a hit and run. The fact that the police seemed to facilitate this I find disturbing. Sure the police can have policies about no report unless serious injury or over $XXX amount of property damage but that does not relive the duty to exchange insurance information.
That's ridiculous, and you're just playing word games now. If the person doing the hitting stops, checks that the person is alright, and doesn't leave until after the cop gets there, it's not a "hit and run" unless perhaps if the other person asks them for their information and they refuse to give it. Even then - that's a whole lot morally better than someone who drives off, possibly leaving the victim unconscious on the side of the road. (Let's be fair though - this scenario plays out with car on car crashes even more than with bikes)

We see enough actual hit and run incidents on this board that involve someone hitting someone and driving off, leaving the person to fend for themselves, it's ridiculous to try to compare that to someone who wasn't asked for their insurance info and left only after the police arrived (and assumably told them it was ok to leave).

The only part I agree with is that if the police are there, especially in an accident involving someone underage, that the police should make sure to get the personal info for both parties.
Old 07-26-10, 10:51 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
I know it sounds crazy, but as I wrote, it's not an issue of fault, it's an issue of filing a police report. The point is, a police report can be filed after-the-fact. And if injuries show up later, the driver, if she can be tracked down, can be held liable - not because it was her fault but because procedures weren't followed.
Old 07-26-10, 12:45 PM
Rex G

Bikes: Bianchi Alloro, Veloce, San Remo, Pista; Rivendell Canti Rom; Zinn custom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If the jurisdiction requires reporting of racial data, there may be some record of this encounter in the PD's records. OTOH, not all such states/jurisdictions call for full contact information. Since this was a collision, and therefore equivalent to a call for service, not a traffic stop, it may fall outside the requirement for the data to be collected. Still, it is a possible source of information.

One possibility as to why no report was made, is that this might have been a double-fault collision. Another factor might be whether it met a property damage threshold requirement for being a reportable collision. If neither party wanted a report made, and either or both of these factors were present, then the officer may have just let it go. (To be clear, I would have made a crash report, based on the injury, or likelihood thereof!)

Edited to add: I just noticed that this happened Saturday. Perhaps the report has yet to be submitted? I tell folks to allow ten working days for a crash report to be available. At my PD, a crash report is first submitted to a sergeant, and then it is sent to the traffic & accident division folks, who review it when they get to it, and only then does it become an official record.

Last edited by Rex G; 07-26-10 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-26-10, 12:56 PM
TiberiusBTkirk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, I was a State Insurance examiner for four years and was in hospital patient accounts for four years. I've seen lots of MVA police reports and I've requested just as many.
Go now, get a motor vehicle accident report. Get copies of your ER admitting record or chart stating your son was in a motor vehicle accident. Get the other driver's insurance info. Start the ball rolling because everything is time sensitive.
You never know when your son needs additional medical care due to this accident. No-fault will cover it, either yours or the other drivers. If you don't have a car another insurance fund from the state will cover medical. I think that's the uninsured driver coverage.
No-fault coverage does not assign fault, it gets your medical expenses and other expenses paid. Eventually cases may go to Subrogation.
Old 07-26-10, 05:00 PM
njkayaker

No, it clearly was not a "hit and run".
Old 07-26-10, 05:01 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by TiberiusBTkirk
Go now, get a motor vehicle accident report.
None was made (see following).

Originally Posted by nacdale
I call the police this morning to get a police report and find out that there was not one done. The dispatcher that answeres the non emergency number looked up my sons name and said that since he refused an ambulance and didnt want a police report nothing was filed. I asked what should i do next, he stated that I should contact my insurance and let them decide.
You can make a report at the police station "after the fact" but that won't get you the information about the other driver.
Old 07-26-10, 08:39 PM
The Human Car
-=Barry=-

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No, it clearly was not a "hit and run".
And neither was this since the cop stopped and handed the cyclists some tissues.

Oh wait it was leaving a scene of an accident.
. . /L
=()>()
Old 07-27-10, 09:32 AM
njkayaker

And neither was this since the cop stopped and handed the cyclists some tissues.

Oh wait it was leaving a scene of an accident.
You can't be serious. You are making even less sense here.
Old 07-27-10, 08:09 PM
Kimmitt 

Bikes: RadRunner Plus, Kona Dew Deluxe

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Do you really think that riding into a crosswalk without stopping is a safe practice?
I think that A&S is a great place for this line of thinking.
Old 07-27-10, 09:28 PM
njkayaker

I think that A&S is a great place for this line of thinking.
It seems quite appropriate for this thread (where ever it is) too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.