Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Ride Around the Bear - 6hrs18min

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-10, 03:54 PM
ryanmiller78
Workin hard to get faster

Bikes: Giant OCR C2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I completed what I felt was the single hardest day I have ever had on my bike. In the past I have done a few solid climbing rides (39 up to Dawson Saddle for TOC most recently), but nothing was quite like the Ride Around the Bear. The climb up the 330 to Big Bear Lake is not really steep but just doesn't quit. After a small break around the lake the Onyx Summit climb finished me off. I felt pretty good until I was about 2 miles from the summit and then just lost my groove. Even on the decent, the climb a few miles down the 38 is no fun. All in all it was a great day on the bike and I exceeded my goal of 6hrs30min but boy oh boy, not sure if I will do that ride again
Old 06-15-10, 03:58 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Wow, great time! You were flying.....uphill!
Old 06-15-10, 05:49 PM
grrlyrida
pretty n pink

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ryanmiller78
So I completed what I felt was the single hardest day I have ever had on my bike. In the past I have done a few solid climbing rides (39 up to Dawson Saddle for TOC most recently), but nothing was quite like the Ride Around the Bear. The climb up the 330 to Big Bear Lake is not really steep but just doesn't quit. After a small break around the lake the Onyx Summit climb finished me off. I felt pretty good until I was about 2 miles from the summit and then just lost my groove. Even on the decent, the climb a few miles down the 38 is no fun. All in all it was a great day on the bike and I exceeded my goal of 6hrs30min but boy oh boy, not sure if I will do that ride again
I hear ya brother. I'll never do that ride again too (at least that's what I've been saying). I've been up the Tourmalet and Hautacam all in the same day but they were like a recovery ride on the LART compared to that Bear Ride.

Congrats on the great time. That's impressive.
Old 06-15-10, 06:42 PM
Al Bundy

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Very impressive.
I am clearly a different class of rider and was pleased with getting under 8, but what really stunned me was when Alex and Deya passed me like I was standing still, uphill.
5hrs 20 mins on a tandem is shocking.
Old 06-16-10, 03:26 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
You guys are fast! My time was 10:18 but I did take it easy this year!

Rick / OCRR
Old 07-26-10, 07:36 AM
tj90

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im vacationing in Big Bear Lake this weekend. THinking of having the family drop me off at the bottom of 330 and as they drive up. I would ride up as they drive up and meet them up at the lake later. Never rode on 330 so I have a few questions:
1) Is it a good road with shoulder for riding? I would be riding during the day on Thursday. I imagine there is traffic.
2) What is a reasonable time frame for the ~30mi climb? I just did Palomar this weekend in 1:30 (taco shop to Mothers).
3) Maybe 38 would be better climb? time?

Trying to train for Tam double and being a family guy at the same time....
Old 07-26-10, 07:52 AM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
On 330 the shoulder varies from quite good to none at all. Motorists (most) are used to seeing cyclists on that road, so that works in your favor.

Don't know the time frame, never did intermediate time checks on The Bear.

38 is a different sort of climb; no better or worse, but you will have that 8 mile climb from Barton Flats to Onyx Summit if you ride up 38!

Rick / OCRR
Old 07-26-10, 07:53 AM
tj90

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just saw this link:
https://www.socalvelo.com/sub/onyx.htm

Seems like more info on 38/onyx summit...
Old 07-26-10, 11:39 AM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Yes, tj90

Looks like good information and seems to be about what I remember. Fun climb! Well, except Damnation Alley gets a bit boring, but after you make the left U turn at Forest Falls it's all good.

Rick / OCRR
Old 07-27-10, 09:30 AM
jeff^d
enginerd

Bikes: Black Cat SS, Ibis Ripley v4, Cannondale Synapse Hi-MOD

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I live in Running Springs and would not recommend climbing 330. I have no problem climbing 38, Baldy Rd, GMR, any time of day, but in my opinion both 18 and 330 are too narrow and filled with insane commuters. They are both OK for descending, or maybe climbing very early on a weekend or with a big group of cyclists. The section between Running Springs and Big Bear on 18 seems to be OK most of the time, it's just from the 210 freeway up to Running Springs that's scary.

If you have the option, I'd recommend climbing 38 over Onyx Summit into Big Bear. One of my favorite southern California rides ever. Traffic is significantly lighter, especially during the week.
Old 07-27-10, 04:17 PM
tj90

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the input. Im convinced that Ill be taking 38 up into BB. Ive heard nothing but things regarding this route.
Old 07-28-10, 04:25 AM
John R
so cal com

Bikes: Trek hybrid commuter, Specialized Tarmac, Cannondale Cad 6, Shwinn Homegrown MB, Specialized FSR MB Cannondale Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did it in 6 hours 20 minutes on my tandem in 2009 and 6 hours flat in 2008 on my single.
Old 07-30-10, 08:00 AM
tj90

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I did it and it kicked my a$$! I started at the ranger station about 1:30p yesterday. Car temp read 90F. The first miles to the hairpin were hot, exposed and demotivating. Mountains started cooling off (headwind vs tailwind) and was feeling slightly better climbing. I left with 2 24oz bottles of GU and Hammer Perpetuem and it was not enough. The store at Angelus Oaks was a life saver! 4 bottles of gatorade and protein bar was what was needed to crest Onxy and ride into Big Bear Lakes. If it wasnt for that extra fluid you were going to find me curled up on the side of the highway.

It was a beautiful ride and highway. It was psychological torture to keep giving up altitude around 6500'. All I wanted to see was 7000' cause it meant that I was that much closer to Onyx. Rode in the 39x26 on all of the steeper sections and was able to go higher when I could.

I was surprised that there was traffic but there was. No dangerous moments but the motorists dont seem to ease off the throttle when they see a cyclist. Maybe were too common a site and they are trying to make time up the mountain. Summited at 4:30 and was in Big Bear by 5pm.
Old 07-30-10, 08:07 AM
John R
so cal com

Bikes: Trek hybrid commuter, Specialized Tarmac, Cannondale Cad 6, Shwinn Homegrown MB, Specialized FSR MB Cannondale Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That long streach between Mentone and Forest Falls is killer. I think it's called "Damnation Alley. I've don't that climb so many times I see it in my sleep. I seems like the fires are starting early this year. Last year fires kept the mountain training to San Diego county.
Old 07-30-10, 08:39 AM
obie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
John, are you doing Everest this year?
Old 07-30-10, 09:02 AM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by John R
That long streach between Mentone and Forest Falls is killer. I think it's called "Damnation Alley. I've don't that climb so many times I see it in my sleep. .

GEEZE! That section gets me everytime. In my case, it's a mind game. Looks totally flat but isn't. I struggle more on that road than I do on OakGlen. On one Damnationn Alley ride, I went through2 LARGE water bottles on the first 4 miles!..But it was June and HOT! Another FIT rider/racer turned back after feeling nauseated on the ride. That made me feel better.

Damnation Alley (center graph) Doesn't look tough on paper.

This was our ride:
Old 07-30-10, 12:37 PM
rooftest
Despite all my rage, I am

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Colnago C-50

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This Ryan Miller, (who happened to be born in 1978), wouldn't happen to be you - would it?

(from Bear Results Page.)

Age Name Start Time Finish Time Total Time
32 Miller Ryan 6:32:31 AM 3:05:13 PM 08:32:37 S
Old 07-30-10, 01:53 PM
Erik D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rooftest
This Ryan Miller, (who happened to be born in 1978), wouldn't happen to be you - would it?

Old 07-30-10, 09:01 PM
John R
so cal com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by obie
John, are you doing Everest this year?
I'm training as if I am and plan on doing it. But you never know what can happen between now and September.
Old 08-03-10, 11:36 PM
ryanmiller78
Workin hard to get faster

Bikes: Giant OCR C2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rooftest

It definitely is...Not sure if you have done this ride before, but they scan you in the parking lot when you leave and scan you back in the parking lot when you return. Thing is they don't scan you in or out at any rest stops, lunch stops, stop lights, flat tires, mechanicals, etc, etc, etc. So when you add in 5 or so rest stops which included lunch, 4 flat tires between myself and my two riding partners, a mechanical or two along the way, and stopping on the side of the road to wait for your slower partners things can quickly add to your RIDE TIME.

My total ride time was 6 hours and 18 minutes. Total elapsed time from the time I left the park until the time I returned was 8 hours and 32 minutes.

Hope the popcorn tastes good.
Old 08-03-10, 11:45 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ryanmiller78
It definitely is...Not sure if you have done this ride before, but they scan you in the parking lot when you leave and scan you back in the parking lot when you return. Thing is they don't scan you in or out at any rest stops, lunch stops, stop lights, flat tires, mechanicals, etc, etc, etc. So when you add in 5 or so rest stops which included lunch, 4 flat tires between myself and my two riding partners, a mechanical or two along the way, and stopping on the side of the road to wait for your slower partners things can quickly add to your RIDE TIME.

My total ride time was 6 hours and 18 minutes. Total elapsed time from the time I left the park until the time I returned was 8 hours and 32 minutes.

Hope the popcorn tastes good.
WHAT! So foget the "great time" comment I posted above. That means my best 7:40 time is actually like 4:30!

I think an official posted time is an official posted time! If I took a 2 hour break along the way, I'd feel pretty fresh on the road!