Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

After 15 years, I"m done buying Trek bikes...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

After 15 years, I"m done buying Trek bikes...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-10, 03:53 PM
cycle17
Warrior Cyclist

Bikes: 2021 TCR Advanced 2

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. Banzai
what did you expect from them, a new frame and the labour to assemble it? Honestly, what did you want Trek to do for you? Do you think it's a good business decision to replace a perfectly fine frame every 2-3 years?
To answer your question...I never expected they would replace the frame if it was not a structural issue. I never expected a totally free paint job, but that would have been nice. What I think might be an acceptable solution would have been to at least say "We're sorry your not happy with the paint on your custom bike." and possibly offer to repaint the yellow parts of the frame a darker color if I paid for shipping the frame and fork out and back to them. But since they chose to reply like they did... I'm choosing to not buy anymore Trek bikes. I will most certainly keep riding the bike, maybe the crack will keep getting bigger as it quickly has and I'll choose to say "screw the warranty altogether" and just have someone repaint the whole thing a different color at some point . Who knows. But it won't stop me from being upset with Trek.
Old 07-30-10, 03:53 PM
Dr. Banzai
Oscillation overthruster

Bikes: Cinelli Mash / CAAD9 5

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Body panels are not made from carbon fiber. They require a different prep and if Trek chose a special lay up method/gelcoat that compromised long term paint adhesion then it was their call and they laid out the warranty.

Fact: Paint is older than a year. Fact: Warranty was for one year.

Don't like it? Buy another brand to spite them. Happy with the bike? Ride the piss out of it.
Old 07-30-10, 03:55 PM
cycle17
Warrior Cyclist

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RNAV
I've got a '08 Madone, and haven't experienced any cracking paint. Seems older Treks with standard paint don't have these issues either. In other words, the poor paint quality seems to be rather specific to the Project One bike.

Even though the warranty on paint is only one year, the fact that it's cracking on this Project One bike is total bull crap. To say that cracking paint can't be prevented is even further bull crap. I worked in the automotive industry for many years, and I can tell you with certainty that automotive body panels flex WAY more than any carbon fiber bike from Trek does -- and you don't see paint cracking all over the place after only one year on modern-day cars.

The fact of the matter is that Trek isn't using enough flex agent in it's paint (it's not expensive to add) for the Project One bikes, and their choice of poor quality paint is the problem.

To the OP: I know this is no consolation, but a quick google search will reveal a few reputable bicycle painters. Despite the poor quality paint on your Trek, you've still got a high-quality bicycle. Perhaps at some point down the road you could decide to reward your bike with a new paint job?
Yep. You get it. And yes, since this whole situation started I've thought about the repaint option like I posted above.
Old 07-30-10, 03:58 PM
intence

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can understand the OP's frustration:

-He has several other CF Trek's with standard paint jobs which do not exhibit the issue
-He has paid extra to have this bike specially painted, and now finds that the paint is cracking
-Trek acknowledges that this is a known issue, yet their answer is "tough luck"

If they know it's a problem (either on light colored paint or on Project Ones), I would be curious to know if they're having the same issue on the standard paint jobs from the same year, same frame, similar colors. It's extremely frustrating when a company acknowledges an issue is a known problem, then refuses to do anything about it (despite what the warranty states).

I see it this way, you knew you made a mistake, yet now refuse to fix it, and would rather hide behind the warranty terms. As a consumer i'd much rather purchase products from companies who will try harder to make me happy. I'm not saying they should bend the rules for everyone, but perhaps offering to repaint the frame, or offering a new frame at Trek's cost would have made the OP happy. Either way, very little cost to Trek (probably selling him a new frame at cost would be cheaper, since stripping, painting and finishing the frame would be labor intensive). They were many things they could have done, but brushing him off was probably the worst approach they could take.

After the other Trek related postings we've seen here, i'd be hesitant to purchase their products in the future.
Old 07-30-10, 04:00 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
My Madone has cracks in the paint at tube and lug joints. Doesn't matter: I have ridden it enough in the past three years that it has paint chips everywhere. Still a good bike.

I view paint chips and other cosmetic injuries to the bike as proof that they are my bikes. What else is there to differentiate my stock frame from the same frame in the same paint job under the next bloke? A clean, well working, but well worn bike is something to take pride in. Clean and well working means you care for your machine. Well worn means you ride it hard.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 07-30-10, 04:02 PM
Dr. Banzai
Oscillation overthruster

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send Trek this thread. See if you get any action from it.

A pissed customer tells 10? Yeah maybe 20 years ago. A pissed customer now can tell 100,000+

If this REALLY is a bee in your bonnet my best advice is that you rolled over. You are not making a big enough deal out of this to satisfy your frustration. Take it to the next level.
Old 07-30-10, 04:03 PM
SpongeDad
Overacting because I can

Bikes: Merlin Agilis, Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I still can't believe this is a universal problem. Does the paint on a Parlee, Calfee or Krumpton go after a year?

Still, it makes my not exciting Ti frame - which looks pretty much exactly like it did 6 yrs ago - look pretty good.

"I am a courageous cyclist." (SpongeDad)
Old 07-30-10, 04:11 PM
cycle17
Warrior Cyclist

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SpongeDad
I still can't believe this is a universal problem. Does the paint on a Parlee, Calfee or Krumpton go after a year?

Still, it makes my not exciting Ti frame - which looks pretty much exactly like it did 6 yrs ago - look pretty good.
It's my day off, so I'm able to reply to some of these posts and follow the thread a bit. BTW...HEY SpongeDad!! How are you and the misses? You've seen two of my bikes, so you know they are well maintained. Hoping to get back east one of these years and ride with some of you again.
Old 07-30-10, 04:13 PM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts
Body panels are not made from carbon fiber.
You're right. Never in the history of mankind has there ever been a vehicle with carbon fiber body panels. Thanks for pointing out my mistake.

Sarcasm aside, if you've ever had an opportunity spend some time around a vehicle with carbon fiber body panels, you'd know that they do flex, and they flex significantly more than a carbon fiber bicycle frame, and you'd also know that the paint on said carbon fiber body panels doesn't crack after a year.

My point remains the same: paint cracking on carbon fiber bikes can be prevented (despite Trek's claim it can't) through the proper utilization of flex agents. Are you trying to tell me I'm wrong in this regard?
Old 07-30-10, 04:15 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Liked 38 Times in 28 Posts
cycle17, One point, as far as Trek is concerned, you bought 8 bikes in 15 years. They don't count used bikes. Still, you're one helluva customer and they should have tried to work something out with you. If you can not gain satisfaction, there is one other consideration. Take a picture of you with your new #9 bike and send it to the Pres with a note that says "Remember me? I'm the fellow who asked you to repair a paint crack in my Project 1 and you refused after I had purchased 8 Trek bikes in the last 15 years. Well here's a picture of me with my 9th new bike a_____________________ . Have a nice day. "
He may not read it, but you can still smile when you send the note.
Old 07-30-10, 04:16 PM
Dr. Banzai
Oscillation overthruster

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You're right. Never in the history of mankind has there ever been a vehicle with carbon fiber body panels. Thanks for pointing out my mistake.

Sarcasm aside, if you've ever had an opportunity spend some time around a vehicle with carbon fiber body panels, you'd know that they do flex, and they flex significantly more than a carbon fiber bicycle frame, and you'd also know that the paint on said carbon fiber body panels doesn't crack after a year.

My point remains the same: paint cracking on carbon fiber bikes can be prevented (despite Trek's claim it can't) through the proper utilization of flex agents. Are you trying to tell me I'm wrong in this regard?
Back off tough guy, I've worked in a body shop and restore cars. I'm just politely pointing out that surface prep for metal and carbon are very different.
Old 07-30-10, 04:20 PM
Brian Ratliff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
No sh**. Of course the cracks can be prevented. But not with the paint that Trek decided to use, which is a lightweight, minimalistic formulation. They, of course, choose the lightweight, minimalistic paint to satisfy the requirements that this bike be a lightweight, minimalistic racing frame. It's not intended to be a wall trophy. Want a wall trophy? Go Ti or get a paintjob by a guy who specializes in wall trophy paintjobs.

It boggles my mind that people buy a bike with an expressed limited warranty (or an explicit lack of warranty) and then call and expect Trek to make a "special exception" for them.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 07-30-10, 04:25 PM
cycle17
Warrior Cyclist

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by roccobike
cycle17, One point, as far as Trek is concerned, you bought 8 bikes in 15 years. They don't count used bikes. Still, you're one helluva customer and they should have tried to work something out with you. If you can not gain satisfaction, there is one other consideration. Take a picture of you with your new #9 bike and send it to the Pres with a note that says "Remember me? I'm the fellow who asked you to repair a paint crack in my Project 1 and you refused after I had purchased 8 Trek bikes in the last 15 years. Well here's a picture of me with my 9th new bike a_____________________ . Have a nice day. "
He may not read it, but you can still smile when you send the note.
That is funny! And actually..if I do decide to have a good frame painter here in CA repaint the bike...I might just do that. LOL

But honestly...I'm done dealing with Trek period. The Pres. didn't respond to my letter and had some customer service rep respond instead. The thread has been interesting and amusing, but really just serves as a warning for other perspective Trek/Project One buyers. One thing Mr Beanz said I agree with is know the warranty policy. Because from my experience I can tell you that is what Trek will quote you when you have an issue outside the normal. I will certainly keep riding the bike, I'm a cyclist and I'm going to keep riding it, like I ride my other Treks that don't have cracks in the paint.
Old 07-30-10, 04:25 PM
BigSean

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Body panels are not made from carbon fiber. They require a different prep and if Trek chose a special lay up method/gelcoat that compromised long term paint adhesion then it was their call and they laid out the warranty.

Fact: Paint is older than a year. Fact: Warranty was for one year.

Don't like it? Buy another brand to spite them. Happy with the bike? Ride the piss out of it.
Manufacturer's love you and customers like you. Its kinda funny though, my wife works in the legal field, company's have a tendency to take care of issues for those in the know. I had a pair of 10 yr old Teva's(sandals) that the sole came off of. My wife sent em back as they are lifetime warranty, they honored it no questions asked. Did I mention I bought em at the flea market??? Bottom line is I will buy Teva's again, Trek??? I learned about them years ago, and this case validates it. They dont care about their customers, but some day they will.
Old 07-30-10, 04:27 PM
cycle17
Warrior Cyclist

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
No sh**. Of course the cracks can be prevented. But not with the paint that Trek decided to use, which is a lightweight, minimalistic formulation. They, of course, choose the lightweight, minimalistic paint to satisfy the requirements that this bike be a lightweight, minimalistic racing frame. It's not intended to be a wall trophy. Want a wall trophy? Go Ti or get a paintjob by a guy who specializes in wall trophy paintjobs.

It boggles my mind that people buy a bike with an expressed limited warranty (or an explicit lack of warranty) and then call and expect Trek to make a "special exception" for them.
The bike is not a "wall trophy" it's got 4,300 + miles on it. I don't race anymore, but I ride a lot.
Old 07-30-10, 04:28 PM
BigSean

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Its about customer service to loyal customers. Aside from that paint cracking being normal is a flat out lie.
Old 07-30-10, 04:31 PM
Blackdays
Boom.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back off tough guy, I've worked in a body shop and restore cars. I'm just politely pointing out that surface prep for metal and carbon are very different.
You're not a doctor/don't have a doctorate?
Old 07-30-10, 04:32 PM
wanders
going roundy round

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I'm getting this looked at tomorrow. It's a '08 5.2. I just noticed it last weekend.

For the record, I've never adjusted anything on the FD.

I'll let you know how that goes.

Old 07-30-10, 04:35 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Liked 793 Times in 312 Posts
You purchased an entry/mid level bike, this is just par for the course here.

The Madone is known as the "poor man's Pinarello". You get what you pay for.
Old 07-30-10, 04:35 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Liked 3,110 Times in 1,418 Posts
I should take some pix of my '00 5200. It's got paint peeling off in big chunks. Trek refused to warranty that too.
Old 07-30-10, 04:37 PM
Brian Ratliff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BigSean
Its about customer service to loyal customers. Aside from that paint cracking being normal is a flat out lie.
point = missed.
Old 07-30-10, 04:43 PM
BigSean

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
point = missed.
Not my problem.
You an engineer?
Old 07-30-10, 04:52 PM
SpongeDad
Overacting because I can

Bikes: Merlin Agilis, Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cycle17
It's my day off, so I'm able to reply to some of these posts and follow the thread a bit. BTW...HEY SpongeDad!! How are you and the misses? You've seen two of my bikes, so you know they are well maintained. Hoping to get back east one of these years and ride with some of you again.
Both good - Bibi is driving the kids to her parents today, so we have 2 weeks to hopefully get some mondo mileage in. Trust me, I know you kept very good care of your collection (not to mention actually riding them).

If you'll forgive the advice - you need a beater, steel cyclocross bike. I tried cross this fall and absolutely loved it. Each race is a gonzo effort, a fall in the mud, a laugh with friends and a beer. Can't beat that.

"I am a courageous cyclist." (SpongeDad)
Old 07-30-10, 04:53 PM
Brian Ratliff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BigSean
Not my problem.
You an engineer?
I'll give you a hint. It's about tradeoffs.
Old 07-30-10, 05:04 PM
Hunt-man
Tete de Couch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wanders
I'm getting this looked at tomorrow. It's a '08 5.2. I just noticed it last weekend.

For the record, I've never adjusted anything on the FD.

I'll let you know how that goes.

So it is that bulge in the paint below the clamp? I think that is what you get for riding a blue bike.

Seriously, I think I'd just ignore it and ride the piss out of it. It almost looks like a paint mistake from the factory.

And I'd have them inspect the seat tube around the front D for cracks or damage. Very sensitive to excess torque.

Last edited by Hunt-man; 07-30-10 at 05:07 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.