Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Used up one of my bonus lives yesterday...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Used up one of my bonus lives yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-10, 04:58 PM
rruff

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by whitecat
That is always a problem with inattentive drivers. Wouldn't wish that that you've been trough to anyone, but it is good that you came out relatively ok. For the future consider two things I never ride on the road without - a rear view mirror, and a good strong rear blinky. Both of them can help to avoid situations like that - blinky to make sure drivers see you - by attracting their attention, even in the middle of a sunny day - and a rear view mirror to spot those that do not seem to notice you, so that you can get off the road quickly if needed. I wish you a quick recovery.
I'm looking into that as well. The Planet Bike Superflash looked like a good one, until I saw all the reports of them dying in the rain... and I think that is important. Any recommendations?
Old 07-30-10, 05:00 PM
rruff

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SteelCan
Your upbeat tone under the circumstances is amazing. A+++
I thought I was dead... and I'm pretty happy that I'm not!
Old 07-30-10, 06:35 PM
serra
Some guy with a bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rruff
I'm looking into that as well. The Planet Bike Superflash looked like a good one, until I saw all the reports of them dying in the rain... and I think that is important. Any recommendations?
Radbot 1000
It's brighter than the Superflash, and I've never had it accidentally turn on or off. Word of warning(ish), you have to press and hold to turn it on. I thought it was broken when I got it lol, turns out they did that so it doesn't get bumped on or off. Quite clever.
Old 07-30-10, 06:52 PM
krazygl00
Your Recovery Ride Buddy

Bikes: 2000 Serotta Classique, 1999 Serotta C3S Atlanta, 2004 Kona Jake the Snake, 2009 Kona Paddywagon, 2006 Kona Kula, 1980's Fuji Pursuit TT Fix/SS conversion, 1980's Torpado Super Strada, Bridgestone RB1 Synergy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rruff, man you have a harrowing tale there, but you have ascended to BF hero! The only advice I have is to take your recovery slowly. I've suffered (non-bike-related) back injuries in the past and you don't do yourself any favors by trying to do too much too soon. Relax, sip some margaritas and enjoy letting others do for you.

Originally Posted by umd
Wow, glad you are (relatively) ok. Riding on the freeway today my mind wandered into the"what would happen if I got hit" scenario and got stuck there for a while (much to my dismay).
You ride on the freeway? Seriously? I actually thought that was illegal.
Old 07-30-10, 07:05 PM
Specialized2k10
Pedal Warrior

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Allez with SRAM Force gruppo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad your ok. Seems like we get a few of these stories weekly. I wish they would stop and we would just talk about SRAM vs shimano, which cervelo to buy, or why trek sucks.

Btw, I did see a guy on a road bike in the freeway yesterday. I thought he was crazy, today I saw a road sign that has a bike and says next 1 mile. So I guess that stretch of the freeway does allow bikes.
Old 07-30-10, 07:08 PM
krazygl00
Your Recovery Ride Buddy

Bikes: 2000 Serotta Classique, 1999 Serotta C3S Atlanta, 2004 Kona Jake the Snake, 2009 Kona Paddywagon, 2006 Kona Kula, 1980's Fuji Pursuit TT Fix/SS conversion, 1980's Torpado Super Strada, Bridgestone RB1 Synergy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just got this:

https://www.performancebike.com/bikes...0_20000_400159

It is nice, small and very bright. However the light's brightness does seem to be rather directional. In other words it is SUPER bright but only if it is pointed directly at you. Currently it's on my saddle pack at kind of an angle upward, so it will be better if I can figure out a way to angle it down to be level with drivers' eyes. The charger is neat, very small and light, but it plugs into the USB port on your computer and the light snaps onto it via magnetic charging contacts. I actually wish they had just used a standard micro-usb charging cable, because now I have to keep track of this little charging doohickey if I'm at home or at work.
Old 07-30-10, 07:10 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
Super glad you're relatively OK. Best of luck with the healing process. I've had a couple of crashes this year, and some things take a long to to heal. Again, really, really glad you're doing OK.
Old 07-30-10, 07:12 PM
logdrum
Headset-press carrier

Bikes: Kona with Campy 8, Lynskey Ti with Rival, Bianchi pista, Raleigh Team Frame with SRAM Red, Specialized Stump Jumper, Surley Big Dummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rruff

Hit me up when you get to ABQ and I can at least buy you a drink

Here's what happened to my fence about 3 weeks ago. 4 fences were down including mine that burned as the transformer wire went down and an electric post that tore in half. I bike on this road most evenings. Guy was not drunk just spaced out. Estimated 80 on a 30 mph road. He also downed a gate after splitting that pole.

Too many spaced drivers in NM. Too many riders getting hit. And just like your experience, no malice or intention really.

Heal well.
Old 07-30-10, 07:59 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by krazygl00
You ride on the freeway? Seriously? I actually thought that was illegal.
Freeway riding, where legal, is the shizzle.
Old 07-30-10, 09:02 PM
OldPilot

Bikes: 2007 Giant OCR C3, 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple & 2002 Diamondback Response

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I very glad that you are still with us & have such an upbeat attitude after such a close call. Remember to take time to heal, you will come back stronger than trying to rush it...I hope you heal up fast!
Old 07-31-10, 06:10 AM
whitecat

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I'm currently using this; https://www.magnum.ws/TORCH/4132.htm It never failed on me, in sun, rain or temps below freezing it always works and is nicely visible from behind. I can't tell you where I bought it, can't really remember, but I think I saw some on ebay a while ago, few months or so, so they should be available.

Last edited by whitecat; 07-31-10 at 06:14 AM.
Old 08-06-10, 12:22 AM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
Riding on the freeway today my mind wandered into the"what would happen if I got hit" scenario and got stuck there for a while (much to my dismay).
My wife and my lawyer have their orders; if I wake up, I'd better be rich. If I don't wake up, my daughter better be rich.

I do a lot of things to ensure that a judge will take "I didn't see him" as an admission of reckless driving, (reflector tape in various places, front and rear bike and helmet lights, bright orange jersey, etc.) so that the lawyer's job should be easier. As soon as I get the BikeBrightz installed, I'll be getting day and night photos of the bike and myself so that he can have clear evidence of what the driver wasn't paying enough attention to see.

Last edited by KD5NRH; 08-06-10 at 12:28 AM.
Old 08-06-10, 05:50 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
The PB Superflash and Radbot are excellent cheap blinkies.

But IMO, nothing even comes close to the Dinotte. Even in bright sunlight, it's clearly visible a mile away. The NightRider Universal falls between the PB Superflash/Radbot and Dinotte pricewise and is also a very bright light
Old 08-06-10, 06:38 AM
RacerOne
Hills hurt.. Couches kill

Bikes: 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 2010 Trek Madone 6.5 Project One, 2012 Cannondale Caad10, 2013 Trek Crockett

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
This is awful and seems to be happening more and more, at least reports of it on BF anyway. It kind of makes you wonder how many people on here that have simply disappeared are no longer with us.

Rruff, glad to hear you seem to have made it through ok, heal up fast, but take your time.
Old 08-06-10, 07:25 AM
MDfive21

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The frame is broken and the rear wheel is toast. Other than that I'm not sure... but I sheltered it pretty well with my body. The carbon seatpost, bars, fork, and cranks might not be trustworthy anymore.
glad you're ok! post some pics of the damage when you have a chance. surely i'm not the only one who's curious.