Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New Cyclist - Random Questions

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-10, 09:12 PM
prpandey

Bikes: 2010 Trek 1.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a few random questions:
  • Pedals - the Trek 1.5 comes with the clip pedals. I was just thinking about removing the clips from the pedals and just get biking shoes. Will that work?
  • For those Trek 1.5 owners, if there's one thing you could change about the stock configuration, what would it be? I've ridden the bike for a few days now and haven't had any issues at all. Just curious to see what other people are thinking.
  • Does anyone know a good site/video that explains shifting? I think I have a fairly decent grasp on the concept, but I'd definitely like to learn more to make my ride a lot more easier.

Thanks!
Old 08-09-10, 09:16 PM
Sprocket Man
Prefers Aluminum

Bikes: Wife: Trek 5200, C'dale Rush Feminine, Vitus 979 Me: Felt S25, Cervelo Soloist, C'dale Killer V500, Miyata Pro (fixie)

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
If you want to get the benefit that toe clips would give you, you need to buy "clipless pedals" and dedicated road cycling shoes.

This is a pretty decent video about shifting:

Old 08-09-10, 09:24 PM
prpandey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sprocket Man
If you want to get the benefit that toe clips would give you, you need to buy "clipless pedals" and dedicated road cycling shoes.
Since my cycle knowledge is limited, what's the term used for the pedals that came with my Trek 1.5? Would I be able to remove the toe clips from the stock pedals and get dedicated cycling shoes? Will that still work? Or will I need the clipless pedals you mentioned?

Do you recommend any shoes listed in the link below? I'm kind of on a budget for now.

https://revolutioncycles.com/product-...&rb_pr1=40-100

Last edited by prpandey; 08-09-10 at 09:28 PM.
Old 08-09-10, 09:29 PM
Sprocket Man
Prefers Aluminum

Bikes: Wife: Trek 5200, C'dale Rush Feminine, Vitus 979 Me: Felt S25, Cervelo Soloist, C'dale Killer V500, Miyata Pro (fixie)

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by prpandey
Since my cycle knowledge is limited, what's the term used for the pedals that came with my Trek 1.5? Would I be able to remove the toe clips from the stock pedals and get dedicated cycling shoes? Will that still work? Or will I need the clipless pedals you mentioned?
The correct terminology would be pedals with toe clips. One of the benefits of having clipless pedals with cycling shoes is that your feet snap into the pedal and are connected. This allows you to pull your foot back and upwards during the pedal stroke which maximizes efficiency. If you just rest cycling shoes (or any shoes, for that matter) on a regular pedal (like the stock pedal with the toe clips removed), you do not get the benefit of having your foot really connected to the pedal.
Old 08-09-10, 09:30 PM
mzeffex 

Bikes: Something Canadian, something Italian, something American, and something German

Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
You need clipless pedals. The "clips" it came with are on platform pedals - just regular pedals. The word clipless is counter intuitive as they actually have the clips.
Old 08-09-10, 09:31 PM
prpandey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great - that makes sense! Thanks Sprocket Man and mzeffex.
Old 08-09-10, 09:44 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Liked 1,310 Times in 563 Posts
Welcome to a life long addiction!

The 1.5 looks like a decent all around rig. If you were to "upgrade" something off of the stock configuration I would recommend going with clipless pedals - as you are already expressing an interest.

You can get an inexpensive SPD style knock off from someone like Wellgo for not much $$. Decent shoes - go and try them on and then buy them there.

Old 08-09-10, 09:56 PM
prpandey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Welcome to a life long addiction!

The 1.5 looks like a decent all around rig. If you were to "upgrade" something off of the stock configuration I would recommend going with clipless pedals - as you are already expressing an interest.

You can get an inexpensive SPD style knock off from someone like Wellgo for not much $$. Decent shoes - go and try them on and then buy them there.
Clipless pedals, it is!

Also, I lost you on your second sentence Can you elaborate? Do you recommend any pedals out there (something fairly inexpensive)?
Old 08-10-10, 05:38 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Clipless pedals, it is!

Also, I lost you on your second sentence Can you elaborate? Do you recommend any pedals out there (something fairly inexpensive)?
SPD = Shimano Pedaling Dynamics or some such thingy but basically they are the generic name given to a style of clipless pedal most common in mtb applications. Google SPD and you'll get an idea of what I mean. You can usually find SPD style pedal systems for cheap. Buy a nice shoe that has both a 2 hole SPD mount as well as a standard 3 hole road cleat mount (Look and SPD compatible). That way the shoe will stick with you as you progress.

Old 08-10-10, 06:01 AM
prpandey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
SPD = Shimano Pedaling Dynamics or some such thingy but basically they are the generic name given to a style of clipless pedal most common in mtb applications. Google SPD and you'll get an idea of what I mean. You can usually find SPD style pedal systems for cheap. Buy a nice shoe that has both a 2 hole SPD mount as well as a standard 3 hole road cleat mount (Look and SPD compatible). That way the shoe will stick with you as you progress.
Thanks! Are there any online websites that you usually go to for your biking gear? (For things that don't require you to try stuff on to see if it fits like shoes, shorts, etc)
Old 08-10-10, 06:08 AM
collegeskier

Bikes: Felt F5, Fuji Robaix Pro and a KHS Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! Are there any online websites that you usually go to for your biking gear? (For things that don't require you to try stuff on to see if it fits like shoes, shorts, etc)
www.performancebike.com, www.probikekit.com, www.nashbar.com, colorado cyclist, and competitive cyclist. People will also say to support your local bike store (LBS), if you can find a good one they can be a wealth of knowledge for you.
Old 08-10-10, 06:17 AM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Liked 123 Times in 79 Posts

• Pedals - the Trek 1.5 comes with the clip pedals. I was just thinking about removing the clips from the pedals and just get biking shoes. Will that work?
  • For those Trek 1.5 owners, if there's one thing you could change about the stock configuration, what would it be? I've ridden the bike for a few days now and haven't had any issues at all. Just curious to see what other people are thinking.
  • Does anyone know a good site/video that explains shifting? I think I have a fairly decent grasp on the concept, but I'd definitely like to learn more to make my ride a lot more easier.

Thanks!

Your third item, in addition to shifting, you should also be reading up on cadence. This is the rpm of your feet at the crank and pedals. The reason for multiple speeds as hinted to in the video is to be able to keep your cadence at a comfortable and efficient speed. You want to start out with about 80-95 rpm.

--
Jeff
Old 08-10-10, 06:53 AM
NickDavid

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks!
I started with this bike and still use it. Actually, mine is the 06' model (1500). Get yourself some shimano 105 pedals or equivalent. The only thing I changed was the saddle. The stock one is not really suitable for heavy training. You won't learn much from shifting by watching a video. Go out there and learn on the road.
Old 08-10-10, 08:01 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by collegeskier
www.performancebike.com, www.probikekit.com, www.nashbar.com, colorado cyclist, and competitive cyclist. People will also say to support your local bike store (LBS), if you can find a good one they can be a wealth of knowledge for you.
+1 - these. As for where I go....I am basically a bike shop. I go direct for my own and team needs.

Old 08-10-10, 11:29 AM
prpandey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NickDavid
I started with this bike and still use it. Actually, mine is the 06' model (1500). Get yourself some shimano 105 pedals or equivalent. The only thing I changed was the saddle. The stock one is not really suitable for heavy training. You won't learn much from shifting by watching a video. Go out there and learn on the road.
I was thinking about these pedals:

https://www.performancebike.com/bikes...5#ReviewHeader
Old 08-10-10, 11:38 AM
thesmoothdome

Bikes: '10 BMC Pro Machine, 02 Fisher Sugar 2+

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Consider a 2 sided pedal like speedplay. It makes entry a lot easier as you don't have to worry about kicking the pedal around before you clip in. I learned how to ride clipless on a mountain bike where the 2 sided entry pedal is common. My first day on a road bike was a whole other experience with single sided pedals. Granted, I didn't give it long (like 1 day) before swapping them out for Speedplays, but they are a lot easier to manage.
Old 08-10-10, 11:39 AM
csimons

Bikes: 2009 Windsor Wellington

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are there any online websites that you usually go to for your biking gear?
In addition to those already posted, I use JensonUSA.com and BikeIsland.com. Local bike shops and REIs are worth checking out as well (you can try on some cycling shoes at both places). There is an REI in Baileys Crossroads.
Old 08-10-10, 11:48 AM
thesmoothdome

Bikes: '10 BMC Pro Machine, 02 Fisher Sugar 2+

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by csimons
In addition to those already posted, I use JensonUSA.com and BikeIsland.com. Local bike shops and REIs are worth checking out as well (you can try on some cycling shoes at both places). There is an REI in Baileys Crossroads.
If you don't mind waiting for stuff to arrive from across the pond, check out Pro Bike Kit. Free shipping and good discounts make them hard to beat for some items.