Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Clicking noise...need some guidance

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-10, 07:32 PM
Miller2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

First off let me say I am aware that it's tough to diagnose over the internet, however, I've tried a few things to no avail and it's driving me batty. That being said...

I've had this clicking noise for a while but only got around to messing with it prior to leaving on vacation a few weeks ago. It happens only when I am out of the saddle putting some pressure on the pedals. Naturally I thought it was the pedal, left side to be exact, so I removed it, greased it, installed it and the noise went away. Great I thought till it reappeared a couple days later so I did the same with the right pedal. Again the noise went away only to reappear a few days later. I took it to my LBS for the once over, and they could find nothing other than some loose chain ring bolts which they tightened. Lo and behold the noise went away only to reappear a few days later.

Frustrated, I washed the bike this past Sunday and cleaned both the cassette and chain. Monday night I put it all back together and lubed it. Tuesday night I rode and the noise was worse than ever and it was clicking while seated not only when out of the saddle.

This morning I wiped the chain and lubed it, rode and while the noise was still there it was less noticeable than Tuesday night. Matter of fact as I climbed out of the saddle on several occasions it made no click at all.

This is all very odd. I'm wondering if there is an issue in the BB.

Any thoughts? The bike is a 2009 C-Dale Synapse Hi Mod with 2010 SRAM Force and a BB30. Its a 50/34 with a 12-27. The noise is most often occurs in the 52/24 but is not confined to that combo.

I have a 52 mile group ride this Saturday and I don’t want to have to listen to this for 50+ miles.
Old 08-11-10, 07:43 PM
GDA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some more details on harmonics might help get to the bottom of it quicker such as...

does it click in rhythym related to speed of the wheels

does it click and change in rhythym while holding a constant speed but speeds up or slows down depending on gear selected by FD or RD or both?

if you can discern either of these it can help isolate to frame or more of a drivetrain issue. HTH
Old 08-11-10, 08:06 PM
mathwheels

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9 5...duh!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have 2010 caad 9 5 and had the same problem twice in last 3 months. Good money says its in the BB30, where mine was. Clicked every revolution when it happened. came and went. More under climbing but then constant.

LBS tightened BB but came back with in first five miles. Took apart and overhauled, cleaned, greased and put back and now working fine. Quiet as a breeze. sa

There are many posts and commentary on the web about BB thirty and creaks and clicks. Do a google search. Very common and could be your problem.

Good luck
Old 08-11-10, 08:17 PM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
https://www.jimlangley.net/wrench/keepitquiet.html
Old 08-11-10, 08:26 PM
rufvelo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bb
Old 08-11-10, 08:28 PM
Trouble
Sloth Hunter

Bikes: 03 Lemond Zurich (Sold) 07 Steelman Custom steel road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quick releases are clickers.
Undo the QR, reposition the wheel, tighten the QR.
You can hold the bike (front or rear) and torque the frame against the wheel. If you hear any clicking, it's the QR/dropout.
Old 08-11-10, 08:35 PM
Miller2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GDA
Some more details on harmonics might help get to the bottom of it quicker such as...

does it click in rhythym related to speed of the wheels

does it click and change in rhythym while holding a constant speed but speeds up or slows down depending on gear selected by FD or RD or both?

if you can discern either of these it can help isolate to frame or more of a drivetrain issue. HTH
It clicks with each turn of the crank. I'm leaning toward the BB.
Old 08-12-10, 07:22 AM
Trouble
Sloth Hunter

Bikes: 03 Lemond Zurich (Sold) 07 Steelman Custom steel road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could also be the seat post where it attaches to the bike, where it attaches to the seat.
Could be the handlebars.
It clicks with each turn of the crank because with each turn of the crank you're apply torque to all the other areas.

Check the drop outs. My wife's carpet fiber bike clicks and creaks often and I redo the rear QR and it's fixed....good luck.
Old 08-12-10, 08:25 AM
lunacycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Miller2
...they could find nothing other than some loose chain ring bolts which they tightened. Lo and behold the noise went away only to reappear a few days later....
Have you re-checked the chainring bolts to make sure that they're still tight?
Old 08-12-10, 08:28 AM
jfmckenna
Tiocfáidh ár Lá

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Liked 123 Times in 76 Posts
Sometimes a valve will click in the rim hole.

You need to figure this out though. The last time I had an annoying clicking noise I found out what it was during a cyclocross race when m stem broke right off. I swore the clicking was coming from the rear of the bike so Id'ing where the noise is coming from can be difficult.
Old 08-12-10, 08:31 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Liked 278 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Trouble
Could also be the seat post where it attaches to the bike, where it attaches to the seat.
Could be the handlebars.
It clicks with each turn of the crank because with each turn of the crank you're apply torque to all the other areas.

Check the drop outs. My wife's carpet fiber bike clicks and creaks often and I redo the rear QR and it's fixed....good luck.
Old 08-12-10, 08:40 AM
BikerPat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mathwheels
I have 2010 caad 9 5 and had the same problem twice in last 3 months. Good money says its in the BB30, where mine was. Clicked every revolution when it happened. came and went. More under climbing but then constant.

LBS tightened BB but came back with in first five miles. Took apart and overhauled, cleaned, greased and put back and now working fine. Quiet as a breeze. sa

There are many posts and commentary on the web about BB thirty and creaks and clicks. Do a google search. Very common and could be your problem.

Good luck
Mine was a few years older but would just be random squeeks when I would give it some torque. I took it to the LBS and they did a tune up on it (I bought it used and it had a few k miles on it). Lubed and greased and no squeek
Old 08-12-10, 10:26 AM
6Stringer
Not Getting Any Faster

Bikes: Trek 5000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently had a similar noise. Turned out to be the pedals. Now I have new pedals (and a new bottom bracket and chain because I thought those might be the problem before I realized it was the pedals).
Old 08-12-10, 12:23 PM
sparker

Bikes: Scott CR1 TEAM / Bridgestone RB-2 / GT Outpost / Trek 470

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey there...

I had the same odd clicking noise. Very difficult to diagnose. After many months of fiddling around w/ the LBS. I took to a "different shop" who spent the time and figured out it was a loose rear hub. Best $45 I've ever spent. They told me to check this periodically. Haven't had the problem since. All of the suggestions are valid. Its going to be a process of elimination. Carbon is even more difficult to pinpoint the odd clicks and creaks.

Good luck and be patient!