Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Length of stem question

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Length of stem question

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-10, 12:55 PM
SteveDave

Bikes: 2009 Rockhopper Comp Disc 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Length of stem question

If I exchange my existing stem of 110mm to a 90mm and I going to notice a huge difference? Fit will not be an issue as I will be getting re-fit as part of my 1yr adjustment program at my LBS.
Old 08-26-10, 01:05 PM
spinwax

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveDave
If I exchange my existing stem of 110mm to a 90mm and I going to notice a huge difference? Fit will not be an issue as I will be getting re-fit as part of my 1yr adjustment program at my LBS.
Yes. Going from a 110 to a 90 is drastic and will change everything from back angle, closed hip angle, to where you sit on the saddle to hand pressure.
Old 08-26-10, 02:08 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 2,242 Times in 1,505 Posts
Why are you changing stems? Is the LBS as part of the re-fit? Or do you think the current one is too long?
Old 08-26-10, 02:16 PM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

i don't understand what you mean fit will not be an issue. 110 to 90 will change your fit. very noticeably too. i went from 90 to 110 and it's like a totally different feel for me. I went from very uncomfortable to very comfortable "all day won't hurt" feeling.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 08-26-10, 02:52 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
a) Yes, that's a big difference
b) Of course fit is an issue. Determine what stem to get when you get fit, not before
Old 08-26-10, 03:02 PM
SteveDave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wait I think you are getting confused. I'm saying that I would go and get RE-FIT after the purchase of the new stem. I wanted to try a 90mm to draw myself in more since I feel a tad bit stretched with the 110mm. I know the fit is a big deal, so I was saying don't worry about my CURRENT fit.
Old 08-26-10, 03:03 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm saying what's the point of getting a stem then getting re-fit? Go get the fit, and determine which length stem at the fitting.
Old 08-26-10, 03:07 PM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Wait I think you are getting confused. I'm saying that I would go and get RE-FIT after the purchase of the new stem. I wanted to try a 90mm to draw myself in more since I feel a tad bit stretched with the 110mm. I know the fit is a big deal, so I was saying don't worry about my CURRENT fit.
that doesn't make sense to me. you want to try 90 but when you go in to get re-fit, they might tell you to just go with 100 or stay at 110.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 08-26-10, 03:09 PM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You are thinking that a "Fit" is merely an adjustment of the parts you have, when, in fact, a real "Fit" involves the selection of the parts you need to obtain the proper fit.
Old 08-26-10, 03:13 PM
chaulky61
Chaulky

Bikes: Colnago cx-1, Colnago Master

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have never heard of this before.....is it common to get re-fit**********

And, as others have noted, why exchange prior????
Old 08-26-10, 03:13 PM
SteveDave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok well then I guess I'm confused because the guy that owns the LBS took a few measurements and ordered my bike in because he doesn't stock anything but cruisers. Then once the bike arrived he did my complete fit around the bike.
Old 08-26-10, 03:16 PM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
just wait a bit and see what he suggests.

Old 08-26-10, 03:21 PM
Yaniel
SLO-1

Bikes: '09 BMC Road Racer SL01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chaulky61

And, as others have noted, why exchange prior????
yes, flexibility, comfort, etc changes as you ride more, and even from beginning to end of the season. so it's always good to get refitted.

don't buy anything until they tell you that you need it at the fit session.
Old 08-26-10, 03:21 PM
Yaniel
SLO-1

Bikes: '09 BMC Road Racer SL01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok well then I guess I'm confused because the guy that owns the LBS took a few measurements and ordered my bike in because he doesn't stock anything but cruisers. Then once the bike arrived he did my complete fit around the bike.
then all he did was move your saddle and adjust your bar height. thats not much of a fit.
Old 08-26-10, 03:48 PM
ultraman6970

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wonder if the op got the right bike to start with.

Hey OP do you have a picture of your bike???
Old 08-26-10, 03:49 PM
umd
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Yaniel
then all he did was move your saddle and adjust your bar height. thats not much of a fit.
+1
Old 08-26-10, 03:55 PM
s4one

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yea get a re-fit and tell the fitter to use different stems (should have several stems) or one of those devises that allows for adjustments. Then go on with what stem length you need.
Old 08-26-10, 04:18 PM
umd
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wmb5m
Bike "fits" are over-rated.
Depends. A good fitter can really help get you dialed in, especially if you don't know what to look for yourself.

However, the guy doing this "fit" probably doesn't fall into that category.

OP, why did you buy it from a guy that doesn't even stock road bikes? What would make you think he even remotely knows what he is doing?
Old 08-26-10, 04:50 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by chaulky61
I just bought a Cervelo. The LBS matched the seat position, bar height, and all that stuff, to match my current bike. They told me to go out and ride it the way I like, then come back with a bunch of miles under my belt and they'd fine-tune the fit according to specific complaints I'd find. They also said the fit is good for a year, so that I can come back in after a few months and say "I've been getting more used to X, and now ..."

I don't know that "re" fitting is all that common, but it should be. Some cyclists can do a lot of this themselves, and others can't. For me, there are a bunch of variables, and they all interact in ways that aren't always obvious to me. I've tried doing my own fit, but I just can't get them all right at the same time. It's easier to pay a good fitter; they'll do in an hour what takes me six months.
Old 08-26-10, 04:59 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 2,242 Times in 1,505 Posts
Originally Posted by Yaniel
Note the OP said all the LBS stocks are cruisers. I doubt the owner is experienced in proper fitting of road bikes.
Old 08-26-10, 05:04 PM
sounds7

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon Record SI Compact

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its not really the length of stem that matters but how you use it.
Old 08-26-10, 05:06 PM
Mansram01

Bikes: '17 Trek Emonda, '16 Yeti ASR5, '14 Cdale F29 '08 Orbea Orca.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by umd
Depends. A good fitter can really help get you dialed in, especially if you don't know what to look for yourself.

OP, why did you buy it from a guy that doesn't even stock road bikes? What would make you think he even remotely knows what he is doing?
I'd like to get fitted by a good fitter. I've tweaked my bike quite a bit and what I thought was great 3 years ago is sooo much better now. This include tweaking saddle height, stem length, handlebar type/size, cleat adjustment. Maybe I want to prove that I've done a great job myself but find it hard to want to shell out the mula for a fitting $$$ Then again, maybe I have it all wrong. All I know is that my performance is up and I can ride in my drops for a quite a while now.

Last edited by Mansram01; 08-26-10 at 05:06 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-26-10, 05:07 PM
SteveDave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umd

Well locally he's know as a really good road racer and after talking to several people in the area, I was told to go directly to him for purchases. He told me the only reason he doesn't stock many road bikes is because his shop is only 600sq feet and it's easier just to order them in and if they don't fit, send them back. He did a 1.5hr fit and everything seemed fine. I think I'll go in, get the Re-fit done and pose my question to him and see what he thinks.
Old 08-26-10, 05:27 PM
umd
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wmb5m
Seat height, seat fore/aft. Adjust. Ride.
Stem height, stem length. Adjust. Ride.

Done. There is no way I'm paying some guy for a "fit".
That's great that you were able to figure all that out on your own. Not every does, and they work themselves into uncomfortable positions and don't know why or what to adjust to fix it, or sometimes make it worse. If it were that easy, there wouldn't be so many "check my fit" or "fit advice" threads on BF.

Originally Posted by mchacon01
I'd like to get fitted by a good fitter. I've tweaked my bike quite a bit and what I thought was great 3 years ago is sooo much better now. This include tweaking saddle height, stem length, handlebar type/size, cleat adjustment. Maybe I want to prove that I've done a great job myself but find it hard to want to shell out the mula for a fitting $$$ Then again, maybe I have it all wrong. All I know is that my performance is up and I can ride in my drops for a quite a while now.
If you are comfortable on the bike, have no pain, numbness or other "issues", and are happy with your performance, then there isn't much reason to pay someone for a fit. If there is some area you think could be improved, then a fit may be worth it to eek out some more comfort or performance. You can go beyond "the guy at the shop" and look into some of the dynamic fitting systems like Retul, etc.

Well locally he's know as a really good road racer and after talking to several people in the area, I was told to go directly to him for purchases. He told me the only reason he doesn't stock many road bikes is because his shop is only 600sq feet and it's easier just to order them in and if they don't fit, send them back. He did a 1.5hr fit and everything seemed fine. I think I'll go in, get the Re-fit done and pose my question to him and see what he thinks.
So it's likely not as bad as it sounded earlier, but obviously not everything is fine if you aren't happy with some aspect of your fit. Of course once you get out and ride, you will feel differently than sitting on a trainer. Additionally, as others have said, your fitness may have improved, etc. Go back to the guy, talk to him about what you don't feel is right, and ask about different stem lengths. Since you bought it from him and he fit you on it in the first place, a "re-fit" should include re-evaluating any stem choices and swapping as necessary to get it correct.
Old 08-26-10, 05:40 PM
Perp

Liked 15 Times in 2 Posts
My pro-fit took 3 hrs. A couple months later, I still felt too stretched out and went back for a re-fit (free). Got a 10mm shorter stem and that made a world of difference. Also, bring your cycling clothes when you get fitted. My initial fit, I was just wearing cargo shorts and was told I should have brought my cycling shorts - I did the 2nd time though.

Like everyone else is saying, don't buy a new stem until you get re-fitted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.