Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Pizza Solutions

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Pizza Solutions

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-10, 12:01 PM
flyingWeez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pizza Solutions

IMG_20100831_133755&.jpg

Surely a more elegant solution exists. Anybody have any suggestions or personal experiences? Pictures would be awesome.
Old 08-31-10, 12:08 PM
xargaun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
don't have a photo but i put them on my xtracycle this way. big difference with my setup tho, the snapdeck is wider than a normal rear rack and it also has a 2" thick foam pad on it. i wrap the pizza box in a beach towel to add cushion and keep the heat in. i then strap it down with some nylon straps. its better to use more straps that aren't so tight than fewer straps that need to be tighter, so i use four 1" wide nylon straps.

its the only way i could figure out to do it, because unlike most cargo haul, the pizza obviously needs to be kept flat, and there really isn't anywhere else on the bike to do that.

i will take a photo next time i do it.
Old 08-31-10, 01:50 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
P clips screwed into a sheet of plywood will attach the wood platform to the rear rack.

then see if the pizza parlor will, sell you one of their delivery bags..
that is unless you are doing a Pizza by bike delivery then they will throw that in with your Job.

another thing is Porteur racks , style is hot these days in some circles , French newspaper delivery bikes 20 pound bundles..
from presses to the street corner kiosks where they got sold

Big front top of the wheel rack..
Old 08-31-10, 04:20 PM
crazzywolfie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i just keep on hand on the handle bars and the other hand on the pizza box. if i was carrying more than one i would use rope or a ratchet strap to hold the boxes together and hold it by the rope or ratchet strap. the most i have carried was 7 pizza's and i bike them about 3km to school for lunch.
Old 08-31-10, 05:06 PM
prathmann

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by flyingWeez
Attachment 167584

Surely a more elegant solution exists. Anybody have any suggestions or personal experiences? Pictures would be awesome.
Can't say I've ever had a problem. In the photo the two pizzas should have been stacked on top of each other so the boxes would help support each other. And the straps should have been placed in the direction along the length of the rack - not pulling down on the sides of the boxes.

But if you do pick up pizzas often and have a decent length ride then spending the $15 or so for a good insulated pizza delivery bag would probably be worthwhile.
Old 08-31-10, 05:58 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I agree with prathmann, bungies should always run front to back, never side to side, but unless you have a very long rack or a very small pizza, the box will hang over the back and still be subject to forces that are likely to cause the box to fold.

A task best left to the professionals. Most pizza joints deliver. I know a guy who has carried 18 large pies without a rack. Six hanging from each grip and six on top of the handlebars. Best left to the professionals. Don't forget to tip!

I carried 18 pizzas once (from here, https://www.eatyourpizza.com/), but I have a trailer. I did not receive a tip. That equals 0% of the $381 dollars they spent on the pies. Never again. You want Pizza Paradiso, go get it yourself. Don't call me. End of rant.
Old 08-31-10, 06:06 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Liked 7,991 Times in 4,253 Posts
Ouch! Poor pizza! Looks like longer bungees might be in order so that they're not under quite as much tension when holding a pie.

I do the plywood thing for picking up doughnuts. Two pieces of thin plywood with notches cut in the center of each side (so that the bungees stay in the notch. I put one below and one above the doughnut box. I don't bother mounting them to the rack.

Single piece of plywood below the pie would likely work for you.
Old 08-31-10, 10:27 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
https://worksmancycles.com/shopsite_s.../indbikes.html
Scoll down near the bottom, there's a Low Gravity bike with pizza box.
Old 08-31-10, 10:30 PM
xargaun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
heh, that is awesome.
Old 09-01-10, 05:14 AM
flyingWeez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Ouch! Poor pizza! Looks like longer bungees might be in order so that they're not under quite as much tension when holding a pie.

I do the plywood thing for picking up doughnuts. Two pieces of thin plywood with notches cut in the center of each side (so that the bungees stay in the notch. I put one below and one above the doughnut box. I don't bother mounting them to the rack.

Single piece of plywood below the pie would likely work for you.

And just one long bungee works? Sounds like this might be a good way to go because I don't want anything permanent.
Old 09-01-10, 07:02 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was thinking about somehow adding fold-out side platforms to my rack to support larger items. But I'm afraid my metal-working skills are insufficient for such a project. Unless I can find something that can be modified. It'd have to be black though.
Old 09-01-10, 11:21 AM
Kimmitt 

Bikes: RadRunner Plus, Kona Dew Deluxe

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
https://blog.makezine.com/archive/200...xtracycle.html
Old 09-01-10, 09:39 PM
xargaun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
went and got a pizza tonight. here is how i get it home. four straps. first i put on the the two running side to side and they are tightened about as tight as they can be without squishing the box at all. the ones that run front to back are tightened unitl the box won't move.

i think all you would need to do to make this work on a regular rear rack is put a piece of plywood under the pizza box. wouldn't need to be as big as the pizza box, just some amount wider than the rack so it will help spread the load on the box.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
photo(14)..jpg (94.0 KB, 15 views)
photo(12)..jpg (86.8 KB, 12 views)
photo(11)..jpg (91.9 KB, 13 views)
photo(13)..jpg (90.6 KB, 13 views)
Old 09-02-10, 06:16 AM
flyingWeez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xargaun
went and got a pizza tonight. here is how i get it home. four straps. first i put on the the two running side to side and they are tightened about as tight as they can be without squishing the box at all. the ones that run front to back are tightened unitl the box won't move.

i think all you would need to do to make this work on a regular rear rack is put a piece of plywood under the pizza box. wouldn't need to be as big as the pizza box, just some amount wider than the rack so it will help spread the load on the box.

Plywood it is then I suppose. But this sure does make me want an xtracycle soooooooo much more. I just can't commit to it just yet with my volpe being my only bike which still includes speedy rides with friends.
Old 09-03-10, 10:19 AM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Liked 690 Times in 437 Posts
Make your own, crust and all. It's easy and fun and your farmers' market has tons of toppings right now.
Old 09-03-10, 01:37 PM
xargaun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i used this stuff to line the windows on the south side of the house to help keep cool:

https://www.homedepot.com/Building-Ma...atalogId=10053

i have some left over, and i am going to use it to make an "envelope" to put the pizza box(es) in to keep them hot. i'll post a photo when i get done with it.
Old 09-03-10, 08:17 PM
randomgear

Bikes: '89 Specialized Hardrock Fixed Gear Commuter; 1984? Dawes Atlantis

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Three options, two from Upper Crust Pizza and one from Redbones BBQ:
Attached Images
uc2..jpg (16.3 KB, 10 views)
uc1..jpg (21.2 KB, 9 views)
uc3..jpg (47.1 KB, 14 views)