Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Anyone ride completely downhill during their commute to work or home?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-10, 07:06 AM
John_

Bikes: 2011 Scott SUB 10, 1999 Univega mountain bike, 1990 Schwinn Crisscross, 1985 Murray Dirt Bike, 1979 Sears Special Longseat Cruiser, 1975 Toddler Tricycle.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anyone have experience with a complete, or almost complete downhill ride that's part of their commute? Perhaps someone lives or works at the top of a hilly area or overall elevated region.

Considering the obviously constant upslope and downslope during each part of the commute, would you prefer a flat route instead?

Another question: Would you rather have the uphill portion of the ride occur during the commute to work or when going home?

Thank you,
John
Old 09-05-10, 07:51 AM
macteacher

Bikes: Specialized FSR

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by John_
Does anyone have experience with a complete, or almost complete downhill ride that's part of their commute? Perhaps someone lives or works at the top of a hilly area or overall elevated region.

Considering the obviously constant upslope and downslope during each part of the commute, would you prefer a flat route instead?

Another question: Would you rather have the uphill portion of the ride occur during the commute to work or when going home?

Thank you,
John

Mine commute is sloped uphill to work and I hate it. I'd rather it be downhill to work (to reduce sweat) and uphill on the way home...but it is what it is. Sometimes I take the bus to work(bike attached) and just ride home, but I find im faster on the bike then I am on the bus.
Old 09-05-10, 07:52 AM
Fizzaly
Stealing Spokes since 82'

Bikes: The always reliable kuwie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My ride to work in the mornings is pretty much down hill for more than half of it, its a gradual downhill then two kinda big hills. I love having the down hills in the morning makes it easier to get to work as im usually running late, i dont mind going up hill after work as im not really in a hurry.
Old 09-05-10, 08:06 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Until I changed branches earlier this year, my commute to work was downhill with a tailwind and uphill into the headwind coming home. I wished it was the other way around. Then I could tackle the winds and hill when I was fresh instead of dog tired at the end of the day.

That was one of the considerations when I moved to a different branch in March. While it's nearly dead flat (less than 100 feet of climbing in 4.5 miles), I'm into the headwinds on the way to work, with the tailwind home. I strongly prefer this.
Old 09-05-10, 08:27 AM
Fizzaly
Stealing Spokes since 82'

Bikes: The always reliable kuwie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
Until I changed branches earlier this year, my commute to work was downhill with a tailwind and uphill into the headwind coming home. I wished it was the other way around. Then I could tackle the winds and hill when I was fresh instead of dog tired at the end of the day.

That was one of the considerations when I moved to a different branch in March. While it's nearly dead flat (less than 100 feet of climbing in 4.5 miles), I'm into the headwinds on the way to work, with the tailwind home. I strongly prefer this.
More power to ya, i cant hardly function in the morning
Old 09-05-10, 08:37 AM
aggiegrads

Liked 321 Times in 180 Posts
I'm with TSL on this one, for two reasons - first, I'd rather tackle the hard stuff when I'm fresh, and second, you don't have to bring as many clothes. I have two completely different outfits most of the year. My downhill morning commute needs heavier layers because I'm going faster and not working as hard. During my afternoon commute, it is generally 20 degrees warmer, I work harder, and go slower.

It is not uncommon for me to wear a jacket, pants, full finger gloves and a headband to cover my ears for my morning commute, and then shorts and a t-shirt in the afternoon.
Old 09-05-10, 08:44 AM
mikeybikes

Bikes: Tons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
School/Work is built above a small bluff. Its all uphill there, and all downhill coming home.

I'd rather it just be flat some days. Though, the ride home is quick and easy.
Old 09-05-10, 08:49 AM
MK313

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All things considered, I'd prefer a flat commute, but mine has a huge uphill on the way in & a huge downhill on the way home. I think I prefer this to the uphill on the way home since it is colder in the mornings and the downhill would be freezing, while it's comfortable in the afternoons, plus I get home faster. I'd rather leave a little earlier for work & get home earlier than the other way around.
Old 09-05-10, 09:08 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Mines downhill and with the wind behind me on the way in, but the elevation only changes about 20 feet. The wind makes more of a difference to me.
Old 09-05-10, 09:25 AM
jeffpoulin

Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Where I live is 745 ft higher than where I work, but it's not all downhill. The ride in has 1870 ft of decent and 1125 ft of ascent, but is generally against the wind. Coming home, I have the wind to my back, but it's more uphill. I don't mind the hills at all, as it makes for some really pretty views. I think I would find a flat route too boring.
Old 09-05-10, 10:09 AM
jimcross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My commute slopes downhill going in with the prevailing winds at by back. Conversely, the ride home is uphill and into the wind. I think if I could choose I would keep it this way. I'd be worthless if I had to ride uphill and into the wind on my way into work. It's okay to be worthless when I get home in the evenings.
Old 09-05-10, 10:15 AM
coldfeet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My commute is nearly flat, overall, but both ends are at the top of hills. While this is a slight advantage in the morning, when I'm mixing with traffic before I hit the MUP and can hit higher speeds for safety, as MK313 indicated, it means you get a bit of a chill before you can get the "engine" warmed up.

The other thing is, although they aren't "BIG" hills, at the end of a 14 mile commute, they do get a bit much.

It would be nice if i could have a climb at the start, flat cruise, and easy coast to finish with and cool off.

Everything is a trade off.
Old 09-05-10, 10:20 AM
swanktaspi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Downhill to work/school and uphill back home. Never had it the other way around, but I think I'd prefer downhill to work because I would be less sweaty there, though an easy ride home would be nice sometimes. In any case, I'd still enjoy the commute.
Old 09-05-10, 10:34 AM
agarose2000

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mine is nearly flat the whole way, 18 miles. Gotta say, nearly flat is great. If you hammer, you can get a great workout if you're motivated since there's little coasting, and if you're in a fatigued mood, you can relax.

If I'm training, I'm always in the mountains, but if I'm commuting, the flats rock.