Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

You know how they say to cross railroad tracks perpendicularly.....

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-10, 09:54 AM
momo15

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

.....I see why now. I rode over the same sunken tracks that I ride over about 3 times a week. They run about 45deg to the road, but I have always just hit them a little slower and moved on. I don't know what happened today, but I got my front wheel stuck in a track and went down. It was my first real crash. I'm fine, just some road rash and a misaligned shifter. I'm a little shaken, but I will be back on the bike tomorrow.

Now where is my peroxide?
Old 09-12-10, 10:10 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Liked 278 Times in 146 Posts
How is the bike?

Gotta be careful with those tracks and cattle guards, too! Heal up and do a recovery ride tomorrow.
Old 09-12-10, 10:31 AM
colombo357

Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
That's a bit of a n00bish move. 45 degrees isn't that bad. Maybe the tracks turned on you while crossing... government conspiracy headed by Agent Novitsky maybe?
Old 09-12-10, 10:38 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Liked 1,279 Times in 647 Posts
Careful

Old 09-12-10, 10:53 AM
Creatre
These Guys Eat Oreos

Bikes: Yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Railroad tracks are the worst. I haven't had the unfortunate luck of getting downed by one yet, but one did do a number to my rim when I just barely hit it at the wrong angle. Hope you heal up fast!
Old 09-12-10, 10:57 AM
ptle

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
It can get really awful when it's wet out.
Old 09-12-10, 11:23 AM
scotch
purity of essence

Bikes: 2018 Giant Trance 2, 2019 Trek Farley 7, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit

Liked 26 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ptle
It can get really awful when it's wet out.
yeah, they basically become ice for road tires when they're wet.
Old 09-12-10, 12:05 PM
Yaniel
SLO-1

Bikes: '09 BMC Road Racer SL01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Railroad tracks always worry me but nothing gets me as nervous as the metal grate floor of a draw bridge. I imagine going down on that must be like falling on a cheese grater. and lets not even think about getting a finger caught in it.
Old 09-12-10, 12:54 PM
timeforheroes

Bikes: caad 9 5. pake track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i ride over tracks every day... thanks for the reminder! i would hate to fall on those things! and i imagine it would just destroy your front wheel too =(
Old 09-12-10, 01:09 PM
dennisa

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale CAAD9-5

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My cousin went down real hard crossing some tracks in the last 2 miles of his century this spring. He was riding his brand new Madone Project One. he ended up with a broken femur in 5 places. 14-16 weeks before he can even put a load on his leg. They think his leg must of nailed the track to cause such damage. Ever since then I've alway made sure to be extremely careful crossing tracks.
Old 09-12-10, 01:54 PM
sfrider

Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
45 degrees isn't that bad, but it's really the angle between the track and wheel, not bike, that matters. So on a nice dry day you can easily approach at even 20 degrees, as long as you turn sharply to cross. This, however, is not recommended if the tracks are wet.
Old 09-12-10, 02:23 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
i'd laugh, but it's happened to me once.
Old 09-12-10, 02:23 PM
momo15

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Really, I don't know what angle it crosses the street, I just guessed. All I know is that it was diagonal. I really can't tell you why it happened, I may have been moving the same direction of the track to avoid traffic (the tracks come up just after a freeway offramp lane merges into a single lane of traffic), who knows? It happened too fast. I'm just glad I am okay, and that I don't have any major damage to the bike.
Old 09-12-10, 02:26 PM
momo15

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I probably would have laughed at me if I would have seen it too. "Oh look Hon, another guy in spandex trying to be Larry Armstrong......Holy Crap! "
Old 09-16-10, 11:54 PM
momo15

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I checked the angle, more like 20deg. That explains everything. I still walked over it today for good measure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rails of doom..jpg (97.3 KB, 65 views)
Old 09-17-10, 12:03 AM
DRietz

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, the only time I ever rode in SF resulted in two instances of me flopping on the ground because of the trolley tracks... Never. Again.
Old 09-17-10, 01:52 AM
pchopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I feel your pain, it happened to me too. I don't remember exactly how I was launched off the bike, I just remember the bike was behind me and I landed on my elbows (ouch!). Thankfully, at that exact moment there were no cars around.
Old 09-17-10, 06:18 AM
kergin

Bikes: 1994 Proctor Townsend Reynolds 753, TT S3 True North, Kona Major Jake, Kona Honky Tonk, Marinoni Puima, Cannondale BBU

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
<--- Toronto == Streetcar tracks. I've eaten my fair share of **** as a result of those things. You want fun? Ride over that stuff after a good rainstorm.
Old 09-17-10, 07:37 AM
dgasmd
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Yaniel
Railroad tracks always worry me but nothing gets me as nervous as the metal grate floor of a draw bridge. I imagine going down on that must be like falling on a cheese grater. and lets not even think about getting a finger caught in it.
You are not alone. There are a couple around here that "assassination city", especially when they are wet. Last time I went over one wet with a group of people, 99% dismounted and walked across it. Even then felt like walking in a bathtub with bar soap on the bottom of your feet!!!
Old 09-17-10, 09:01 AM
TassR700

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Gary Fisher Tassajara; Motobecane Boris Fatbike; Cannondale Habit

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by momo15
Sorry about your crash. As far as the road rash goes, skip the peroxide. It actually damages tissue and slows healing. Search on "road rash" and you should get some good info on proper care. Bacitracin is much better than peroxide.

Edit: Sorry, didn't check the date on the original post. You are probably mostly healed by now.

Last edited by TassR700; 09-17-10 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Late information
Old 09-17-10, 04:52 PM
Barese Rider

Bikes: 2008 Cervelo RS, 2004Trek 2100,1985 Nishike Prestige

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
++ We have a grate on a bridge around here that could turn you into chopped meat in a minute. If its wet damp etc. I ride on the walkway over the bridge fredlike or not.
Old 09-17-10, 05:06 PM
Seattle Forrest

Liked 10,647 Times in 6,055 Posts
As if I didn't hate the University Bridge enough already...
Old 09-17-10, 05:51 PM
rog
militant buddhist

Bikes: '08 Scott CR-1 Pro, '02 Jamis Nova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by momo15
.....I see why now. I rode over the same sunken tracks that I ride over about 3 times a week. They run about 45deg to the road, but I have always just hit them a little slower and moved on. I don't know what happened today, but I got my front wheel stuck in a track and went down. It was my first real crash. I'm fine, just some road rash and a misaligned shifter. I'm a little shaken, but I will be back on the bike tomorrow.

Same thing happened to me a few months ago... there was a light drizzle going on, and I hit the tracks doing 26 mph (according to what the garmin told me later on). I was on the ground so fast, I didn't even know what happened at first. Destroyed my helmet...I hesitate to think what would have happened if I wasn't wearing one.
Old 09-17-10, 05:57 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
"Rails of Doom". Great title for the picture. Glad you are/were ok to laugh at it! Good on ya!
Old 09-17-10, 06:22 PM
Paul Y.

Bikes: 2008 Lynskey R220 2005 Lemond

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When that happen to me I went down so fast, I never came unclipped
Double hurtin. You seem to get kind of gun shy if you get hurt badly.
One thing for sure, you don't forget to go over at the angle of the track too soon.
Watch painted lines when they are wet. Another lesson learned the hard way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.