Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone here use MTB drivetrain parts?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-10, 09:30 PM
|3iker
Alfredo Contador

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just wondering how many of you are using some sort of mtb drivetrain part like cassette, RD, crankset?, etc.

I'm looking to get a Saint 11-28t. The range is exactly what I am looking for to match with my standard double. Hope it will play well with my RD7800 though. I think the max cog is 27t. Crossing fingers!
Old 11-05-10, 09:36 PM
Pedaleur
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I just ordered a Deore XT RD and 11-32 cassette to go on my do everything Cross Check. It has a compact crankset already, but sometimes on my way to work I get really lazy.
Old 11-05-10, 09:37 PM
MegaTom

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL3, Lynskey Cooper CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you need a 9-speed cassette? SRAM Apex has an 11-28, but it's 10-speed.
Old 11-05-10, 11:35 PM
RoboCheme

Bikes: 2008 Cervelo RS, 2011 Scott CR1 Elite, 2014 Volagi Liscio

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use a Deore XT RD with a 11-34 IRD cassette. I use to have a 11-28 Ultegra cassette with my DA 7800 RD so it should work. Why do you need a mtb cassette if you're only after a 11-28?
Old 11-06-10, 07:28 PM
|3iker
Alfredo Contador

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got the Saint 11-28 in. Was contemplating to make it a 12-28 and sub in an existing 15t so that my front would be a 12,13,14,15,16.... since I doubt I'd use 11 at all. I'll see how it goes.
Given that I have a standard double, the rear 28t will give me some climbing option. This mtb Saint cassette is actually lighter than my previous Tiagra hg50. Neat! I think the Saint is the same level as Ultegra.
Old 11-06-10, 10:59 PM
BikeMech
I bike in the nude

Bikes: Custom. '02 trek 1000 with ultegra and dura ace components. Too much to list... Just ask me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have older 105 components and my rear deraileur went out so i used my stx deraileur for a little. Worked fine and shifted SO smooth.. You shouldn't have a problem using a cassette or rear deraileur.
Old 11-07-10, 04:37 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Long-distance riders, especially those who traverse difficult terrain, have no problems with mixing and matching. I've got an XT rear derailleur and 32-11 XT cassette. I've run Deore LX and base Deore chainrings up front. All with STI shifters.
Old 11-07-10, 06:59 AM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
My 95 Cannondale came with an RSX triple crank that is almost identical to the MTB triple for that year, sort of a "Compact Triple". The "RSX" is a sticker placed on the crank with another sticker that says "Hybrid".
Old 11-07-10, 07:20 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by |3iker
Just wondering how many of you are using some sort of mtb drivetrain part like cassette, RD, crankset?, etc.

I'm looking to get a Saint 11-28t. The range is exactly what I am looking for to match with my standard double. Hope it will play well with my RD7800 though. I think the max cog is 27t. Crossing fingers!
You can use almost any Shimano road Rd with a XX-28 cassette.

I recently installed a Sram Apex 11-32 ten speed cassette on my Ultegra equiped bike: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...r-fear-no-hill

From Sheldon Brown https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_ca-g.html#capacity ;

"For rear derailers, the capacity relates to the amount of chain slack the derailer can take up, and is equal to the front range (22 in the example above) plus the rear range. Thus, if you have a 52/42/30 crank set, and a 12-28 (16 tooth difference) cluster, the total capacity required would theoretically be 38 teeth (22 front difference + 16 rear difference)...

...Rear derailers are also commonly designed for a particular maximum size of rear sprocket. If you exceed this size by too much, the jockey pulley may rub against the sprocket when using the lowest gear.

Rated maximum rear sprocket size, however, is also commonly much lower than what actually works. For instance, Shimano's models designated as "road" derailers are generally listed for a "maximum" sprocket of 27 teeth...because 27 teeth is the largest size that they make in a designated "road" cassette. However, in almost all cases, these derailers, even the short-cage models, will handle rear sprockets as large as 30 teeth in practice. (This somewhat depends on the design of the frame's derailer hanger, so once in a while you will find a particular installation where you can't use a 30, but I've never seen one where a 28 wouldn't work.)"

Last edited by Barrettscv; 11-07-10 at 07:33 AM.