Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo - great stuff but I'm done.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-10, 05:54 AM
ravenmore

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Don't get me wrong - I've spent a lot of time on all 3 major groups and I love how Campy performs, but I'm tired of $85 chains, $200 cassettes, and then getting the honor of having to wait days/weeks for such expensive bits because no one has them locally. Final straw was trying to replace a torn shifter hood - that and lack of support for the 10 speed group.

Sram or Shimano, here I come (probably Sram).

Last edited by ravenmore; 11-24-10 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-23-10, 06:03 AM
kergin

Bikes: 1994 Proctor Townsend Reynolds 753, TT S3 True North, Kona Major Jake, Kona Honky Tonk, Marinoni Puima, Cannondale BBU

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ravenmore
Don't get me wrong - I've spent a lot of time on all 3 major groups and I love how Campy performs, but I'm tired of $85 chains, $200 cassettes, and then getting the honor of having to wait days/weeks for such expensive bits because no one has them locally. Final straw was trying to replace a torn shifter hood - that and lack of support for the 10 speed group.

Sram or Shimano, here I come (probably Sram). Anyone want a deal on some 10 speed Record/Chorus bits?
That's too bad to hear. I assume you race or ride this bike every day, if maintenance like chains and cassettes are somewhat ad-hoc? Parts distribution for Campy really does suck over here and so does the inevitable waiting for stuff from overseas mail order.

SRAM hoods feel like a more comfortable evolution of pre-2008 Campy hoods, FWIW.

PM me on the shifters. I might be interested, depending on what you're asking for them.
Old 11-23-10, 06:07 AM
botto 

Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
is this an ad?
Old 11-23-10, 06:24 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Liked 1,013 Times in 648 Posts

Sram or Shimano, here I come (probably Sram). Anyone want a deal on some 10 speed Record/Chorus bits?
No one will know if you buy non-Record chains & cassettes ...... KMC chains & Centaur cassettes work fine.
Dura-Ace & Red ain't cheap either.

Originally Posted by botto
is this an ad?
Disguised as whining

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 11-23-10 at 06:29 AM.
Old 11-23-10, 06:33 AM
AngryScientist 
Lost

Liked 114 Times in 45 Posts
order from the UK and plan ahead, problem solved IMO.

cassette and chain replacements are not unforseen maintenance, order them well ahead of when you need them. i use veloce and centaur cassettes on my 10-sp stuff, they shift just as well as chorus or record at literally a fraction of the price. just picked up a cassette from ribble for the winter wheels for 30-something shipped, can't beat that.

and yes, i am in the market for some 10-sp gear, PM me.
Old 11-23-10, 06:40 AM
hammy56
coffee-stained punk

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
ebay.
Old 11-23-10, 06:48 AM
bostongarden
meow

Bikes: 2016 Parlee Altum, 2013 Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi Mod Di2 only, 2011 Cannondale Super Six, Dura Ace 7800, 2007 Cannondale System Six Dura Ace 7800, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, MB-2, MB-3, MB-5

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I saw a bike icon next to this thread, so, I don't think it is an ad or attempt to sell anything. Does the flame icon next to the title thread indicate that something is being sold?
Old 11-23-10, 06:55 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Liked 1,013 Times in 648 Posts
Originally Posted by bostongarden
I saw a bike icon next to this thread, so, I don't think it is an ad or attempt to sell anything. Does the flame icon next to the title thread indicate that something is being sold?
Forum doesn't look any different to me ... but I guess other people see flames & frogs & stuff.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 11-23-10, 06:56 AM
Jasper Storm

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I understand what you mean. You can't walk into any Performance or REI and pick up Campy parts and many LBS mechanics don't have experience with Campy (most notably 11 speed.)

As AngryScientist said, you have to plan ahead and stockpile things like chains and cassettes (cable sets and bottom brackets also) and learn to do the work yourself.

Before I started doing (most of) my own wrenching, I had mechanics install chains incorrectly, install generic aftermarket bottom bracket bearings of the wrong size, etc.

For purchasing components and accessories, there are some good eBay stores (probikediscount, for one) that have good deals. I still get most of my stuff from PBK. It usually takes 6-10 days to arrive, which quicker than many domestics I have dealt with.

All this being said, I too have felt the pull towards SRAM. Maybe on my next bike.
Old 11-23-10, 08:08 AM
lukasz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Campy chains cost no more than $35.
Old 11-23-10, 08:19 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cervelo Rouvida x 2

Liked 571 Times in 455 Posts
Most people would say that you're trolling. Either that or not real sharp.

You only have yourself to blame for the situation - you're not ambitious enough to use your computer to find parts at reasonable prices.
Any 10 speed chain will work with Campy 10, but a Campy chain will last longer. Campy 10 chains start at $32 and cassettes a $42 here:

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/pp/roa...ke/Chains/CHAI
https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/pp/roa...ttes-Road/CASS

There have been numerous postings, dating back to late '08 about the artificial prices increases that only affect US based sellers.
I bought Campy 11 speed chains for $40 or less and Chorus 11 cassettes for about $100.
I stock up with large orders from places like Ribble or Shiney bikes and never have to wait for replacement parts that I know I'm going to need.
I also buy tires cheap from the UK - about half what your LBS will charge

Last edited by DaveSSS; 11-23-10 at 08:29 AM.
Old 11-23-10, 08:43 AM
ravenmore

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by botto
is this an ad?
Geeze B - I come back from a long break from BF and you're already busting my balls. Glad to see some things never change.
Old 11-23-10, 09:03 AM
ravenmore

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS

You only have yourself to blame for the situation - you're not ambitious enough to use your computer to find parts at reasonable prices.
Any 10 speed chain will work with Campy 10, but a Campy chain will last longer. Campy 10 chains start at $32 and cassettes a $42 here:

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/pp/roa...ke/Chains/CHAI
https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/pp/roa...ttes-Road/CASS

There have been numerous postings, dating back to late '08 about the artificial prices increases that only affect US based sellers.
I bought Campy 11 speed chains for $40 or less and Chorus 11 cassettes for about $100.
I stock up with large orders from places like Ribble or Shiney bikes and never have to wait for replacement parts that I know I'm going to need.
I also buy tires cheap from the UK - about half what your LBS will charge
A times in the season I ride/race up to 300 - 400 miles a week. I've broken chains and cassette cogs (sheared a Veloce cog in half once). Then spent a week waiting for replacement parts. It's happened repeatedly. I don't want to stock a bike shop at home. I like being able to walk into any shop and walk out the door with what I need to get back on the road. I simply cannot do that in Austin, TX. with Campy. It's a hassle. Campy's functionality is great, but it's value and availablity here compared to Sram and Shimano leave it at a huge disadvantage.

Also, on chains, other than Campy chains I've only found 1 that doesn't jump in the 11T cog and that's the top end KMC (its actually a little narrower than the Campy chains). That's still ~$60.
Old 11-23-10, 09:04 AM
ravenmore

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Btw if you want to see the bike in question it is the first one in the Hot'r Not thread.
Old 11-23-10, 09:06 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Liked 2,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Forum doesn't look any different to me ... but I guess other people see flames & frogs & stuff.
That's from using drugs
Old 11-23-10, 09:09 AM
ravenmore

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
Ah, I see Bikeforums provides the same warm fuzzy as always.
Old 11-23-10, 09:11 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
excellent. another one turned to the dark side.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 11-23-10, 09:30 AM
ravenmore

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
since some people need pictures:

Old 11-23-10, 09:34 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Liked 2,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
A times in the season I ride/race up to 300 - 400 miles a week. I've broken chains and cassette cogs (sheared a Veloce cog in half once). Then spent a week waiting for replacement parts. It's happened repeatedly. I don't want to stock a bike shop at home. I like being able to walk into any shop and walk out the door with what I need to get back on the road. I simply cannot do that in Austin, TX. with Campy. It's a hassle. Campy's functionality is great, but it's value and availablity here compared to Sram and Shimano leave it at a huge disadvantage.

Also, on chains, other than Campy chains I've only found 1 that doesn't jump in the 11T cog and that's the top end KMC (its actually a little narrower than the Campy chains). That's still ~$60.
Yeah, you're right there. Even the largest stores don't stock that much in the way of parts because the demand volume isn't high.
Old 11-23-10, 09:48 AM
ravenmore

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
also starting to see less neutral wheel support for Campy at races...
Old 11-23-10, 10:04 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Liked 343 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by coasting
excellent. another one turned to the dark side.
From.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 11-23-10, 10:08 AM
canopus 

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Liked 173 Times in 111 Posts
I don't think keeping a spare chain and cassette is considered stocking a bike shop. Heck, I keep 2nd bike I can pull parts from if needed. And at 300/400 miles per week as you say your looking at turn over in the 2 to 3 month range anyway.
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics
Old 11-23-10, 10:29 AM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I considered SRAM too but has since changed my mind and will stick with Campy. I don't really seem SRAM being all that much cheaper if at all. SRAM stuff isn't rebuildable. I can't jump as many gears and I can with Campy; and, I would need to re-dish two rear wheels.

Finally, I have never had an issue with Campy gear not being available from Performance Bike. I have only needed buy chains in the last four years and I get them online.
Old 11-23-10, 10:32 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cervelo Rouvida x 2

Liked 571 Times in 455 Posts

Your post proves that you're not much of a mechanic either. I've used Shimano and KMC chains with Campy and never had a problem.
Even the cheap KMC DX10SC works just fine. Did you use an 11T lockring? It's not the same as the 12-13T model. There is no reason for
another chain brand to skip on the 11T cog.

If you know that local shops don't stock Campy parts, why whine about it? My local shops don't either, so I buy everything mail order - for the last 15 years.
Old 11-23-10, 10:33 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
since some people need pictures:

that's razor's bike!

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.