Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Removing splined BB - does it matter which side first?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-10, 05:02 PM
|3iker
Alfredo Contador

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just wondering if there is a best practice in terms of removing BB in general.
Also, should I loosen cups on the Non-Drive Side first or Drive Side first?

Bicycletutor.com video show loosening the DS first.

Should I squirt some WD40?
Any tips?
Old 12-03-10, 05:37 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5956 Post(s)
Liked 2,862 Times in 1,595 Posts
In most cases it doesn't matter, but on some bottom brackets the right cup is affixed to the cartridge, so you're usually better off removing the left side first. It also makes sense to do the left first because it reliably has a right hand thread, whereas the right side, though usually left hand thread might be right hand if the BB is Italian or French thread.

It makes more of a difference with installation, where the right side goes to a shoulder to establish chainline, and the left as far as it goes, so going on it's almost always right first.

Squirting with WD-40 or penetrating oil should be deferred until you see if you need it. Give it a go as is, being sure to turn in the correct direction, then if it seems stuck you can use penetrating oil to help free it.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-03-10, 06:23 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,097 Times in 743 Posts
Theer is one type of bottom bracket that you should always remove the drive side first; those with plastic non-drive side cups like many of the Shimano square taper cartridges. Attempting to remove the plastic nds cup first often results in having it crack or split and makes removal of the remnants a real PITA. Guess how I know.
Old 12-03-10, 06:36 PM
Capecodder

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Theer is one type of bottom bracket that you should always remove the drive side first; those with plastic non-drive side cups like many of the Shimano square taper cartridges. Attempting to remove the plastic nds cup first often results in having it crack or split and makes removal of the remnants a real PITA. Guess how I know.
In this case would you replace the left side first?
Old 12-03-10, 07:17 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Originally Posted by Capecodder
In this case would you replace the left side first?
You mean during reinstallation? No. I reinstall the drive-side cartridge first and get it snug. Then install the plastic NDS cup and get it just snug. Finally I torque the drive side to final torque and then get the nds cup tight but not excessively so. The NDS cup is pretty much just a stabilizer and spacer and needn't be (and can't be) torqued to full drive side specs.
Old 12-03-10, 07:24 PM
Soil_Sampler
A little North of Hell

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
plastic fantastic...

You mean during reinstallation? No. I reinstall the drive-side cartridge first and get it snug. Then install the plastic NDS cup and get it just snug. Finally I torque the drive side to final torque and then get the nds cup tight but not excessively so. The NDS cup is pretty much just a stabilizer and spacer and needn't be (and can't be) torqued to full drive side specs.
+1
Old 12-04-10, 11:04 AM
|3iker
Alfredo Contador

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK. It is a Shimano sealed cartridge sq. taper bb. So in this case to loosen the drive side is to turn clockwise yes? I will follow bicycletutor.com video then.
Old 12-04-10, 11:10 AM
HillRider

Originally Posted by |3iker
OK. It is a Shimano sealed cartridge sq. taper bb. So in this case to loosen the drive side is to turn clockwise yes? I will follow bicycletutor.com video then.
Unless you have an older or very upscale Italian frame, your bike is "English" threaded. In that case the drive side cartridge is removed by rotating it clockwise as you said.