Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Mountain Bike Trainer Help

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-10, 10:23 PM
uwpsocr13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Forgive me for not using the proper terminology, as I'm not very knowledgeable about bikes.

I have a 2009 Specialized Myka HT (https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...9&menuItemId=0), and recently purchased an inexpensive Mag Trainer (https://www.sportsauthority.com/produ...LAID=437744259)...

I've read not to use a knobby tire as it will be very noisy and uncomfortable. I would like to purchase an inexpensive road/slick tire, but don't know exactly what I need. I've been told that I don't necessarily need a 26 x 2.0, but I tried a 26x1.25 and the sidewalls(?) seemed to short. I'm just a recreational cyclist so I just want a cheap tire that will last on the trainer and not damage my bike.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks.
Old 12-21-10, 10:53 PM
DirtPedalerB
unofficial roadie

Bikes: 2004 Marin bobcat trail, 2006 trek fuel ex7, 2007 iron horse road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Totally smooth tire with no knobs or bumps... I use a 26x1.25 .. a Bontranger from the lbs with a white wall.. it looks gangsta. I also ride on the street with it on occasion, it looks funny with the 26x2.1 on the front, I should have bought 2.
Old 12-22-10, 12:00 AM
Zephyr11
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you already have the 26x1.25? If not: https://www.performancebike.com/bikes...:referralID=NA
$9

If you do have the tire already, what's the problem? Is it that the sidewalls are so short that the diameter of the wheel is now too small, so you can't get the roller tight enough against the wheel? Or when it's tight enough the black piece of plastic in the back gets in the way of the tire? My first trainer was a stupid design that didn't actually fit a 26" wheel, and if I wanted to put a mountain bike on it, I had to MacGyver the resistance unit by shimming this little metal thing that pushed the roller closer to the wheel and I had to cut out a piece of the plastic holding the roller in place. It was ugly but it worked...as long as I didn't take the bike off the trainer, in which case I had to set up the entire thing again (and considering no mountain bike wants to live its life on a trainer, this ended up being a pain in the ass quickly). If that's the problem, you're probably better off returning your current trainer and picking up a trainer that really does work with 26" wheels (I know for a fact that Kinetics do) or finding a cheap 700c bike off Craigslist to put on trainer duty because trying to make it work never does.

Also, you are about to get very good and very fast at changing tires.
Old 12-22-10, 10:00 AM
uwpsocr13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The problem I had is that when I put the new tire on, the sides didn't really seem to fit. Basically I couldn't "tuck" the edges of the tire into the wheel. Again, best way to describe it, was "sidewalls" too short. I later saw that the website said the tire would not fit a mountain bike tire, but what the heck do I know.
Old 12-22-10, 09:44 PM
DirtPedalerB
unofficial roadie

Bikes: 2004 Marin bobcat trail, 2006 trek fuel ex7, 2007 iron horse road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by uwpsocr13
The problem I had is that when I put the new tire on, the sides didn't really seem to fit. Basically I couldn't "tuck" the edges of the tire into the wheel. Again, best way to describe it, was "sidewalls" too short. I later saw that the website said the tire would not fit a mountain bike tire, but what the heck do I know.
if it's 26x1.25 it will fit most MTB rims, it'll look like a road bike tire. You may need a smaller tube?? maybe you had too much air in the tube. You basically mount it like a normal tire. If you can't get it to seat maybe your rims are too wide. maybe try a 26x1.5 or something. what tire is it you are trying to use??? a road bike tire will not fit a mountain bike. you may have a 700ccX25 or something similar those are for different rims. Look on the sidewall.

Last edited by DirtPedalerB; 12-22-10 at 09:48 PM.