Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Wife says "buy yourself any 4 tires you want"... Schwalbe? Maxxis? Continental?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Wife says "buy yourself any 4 tires you want"... Schwalbe? Maxxis? Continental?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-10, 06:58 PM
never
Custom User

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^ just ask dminor, he'll tell you Maxxis are by far the best!!
Old 12-22-10, 08:18 PM
Dannihilator
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Lawrence08648
I know nothing about Kenda MTB tires but I had a pair of Kenda road tires and they were the only tires that ever delaminated on me when there was tread left on the tires. Both Kenda tires delaminated, the tread just came off like a retread left on the side of the road by a truck. Because of this experience, I would never buy Kenda MTB tires.
For road, give me vittorias.

Their mtb tires are good, this coming from a person who is becoming more and more of a maxxis person again.
Old 12-23-10, 03:42 PM
tkehler

Location: My family and I -- wife and two young children -- live in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Bikes: TST ti 'cross bike (commuter); Guru ti road bike; recumbent; Airnimal Chameleon folding racing bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode today, on Nobby Nics 2.4 snakeskin (front) and ExiWolf 2.3 (rear).

Awesome ride. I did 18 km, though because I had to shop on the way home, about half that was on asphalt

But the rest was great. It rained while I was riding and it has rained on and off for days. (It's Vancouver.) So the ground was slick and saturated. I rode on some slippery small rocks but 90% fire roads. I lost very little traction on the steep parts -- incl. a short 100 foot steep stretch with rain-slicked babyhead rocks. It wasn't easy but with Panaracer Fire XCs on the bike, I'd have to bail. Today no bailing.

If this is the Nobby Nic ride with an Exiwolf, I can't wait for a ride with 2.25 NNs on the rear, or a Rocket Ron on the rear!
Old 12-23-10, 03:44 PM
tkehler

Location: My family and I -- wife and two young children -- live in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Bikes: TST ti 'cross bike (commuter); Guru ti road bike; recumbent; Airnimal Chameleon folding racing bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dannihilator
For road, give me vittorias.

Their mtb tires are good, this coming from a person who is becoming more and more of a maxxis person again.
I don't know them, but Campione -- the high end Crammeroti road cycling store in town -- sells them. I like Continental and Vredestein (which seem to slide under the radar a bit in N. America). Michelins (Krylion) have been solid too, for rougher city roads.
Old 12-23-10, 04:42 PM
shiggy
On-One/Titus USA

Bikes: Lots +1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tkehler
My wife's Xmas present to me is that I can buy any 4 mountain bike tires I want, no matter what the cost.

I ride a ti hardtail, and I weigh 180 lbs.

My (almost daily) ~ 30 km ride to and from work is very mixed:
I ride 10 blocks on the asphalt/tarmac, then I ride hardpack and gravel. Then I ride one km of ups and downs, with babyhead rocks. There's a couple of steep 10-14 degree hills. Then 6 blocks of asphalt/tarmac, and then a steep 1600 foot climb on medium hardpack with with a bit of sand and some gravel. It's non-technical. There are very few turns, so it's a lot of point-and-shoot cardio.

As I'm in Vancouver, there's often some moisture, but luckily very few roots. I guess I really would like the proverbial all-purpose tire, IF it exists...
My LBS has recommended Nevegals for the winter, 2.3 up front and 2.1 rear. (I suspect these will have too much rolling resistance. At the other end of the spectrum, this fall I rode Specialized Fast Traks and they were light and fast, but had too little traction/grip.)

I'm thinking about Schwalbe's 2010 Nobby Nics with snakeskin. I know lots of people ride the Nics up front with a Racing Ralph in the back, but I think the Ralphs' knobs are too low, though I could be wrong.

Nobby Nics? Racing Ralphs? Continental Vertical Pro with black chilli? Someone else recommended the Maxxis Larsen TT tire, but it seemed somewhat like the Kenda Small Block 8, which I SUSPECT isn't quite grippy enough.

Considerations and advice please!
Do these four tires have to last for a full year of use?
Old 12-23-10, 06:57 PM
tkehler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shiggy
Do these four tires have to last for a full year of use?
Hmmm. Let's see ... I ride 3-4 days a week, lots of climbing and fireroads. But I'm pretty easy on stuff (no jumps, no rock gardens with sharp rocks, and these days no attempts to leave long skid marks ). Hmmm. Nah, I don't see any high end, light Schwalbe tire (RRs, Rocket Rs, NNs) lasting a year on the rear.

But 2.4 or 2.25 Nobby Nics on the front? Wouldn't they last me a year at least?

I think I should be able to get 6 months out of, say, a Nobby Nic for the rear. And 12 months for the front. But I dunno.
Old 12-23-10, 07:27 PM
shiggy
On-One/Titus USA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmmm. Let's see ... I ride 3-4 days a week, lots of climbing and fireroads. But I'm pretty easy on stuff (no jumps, no rock gardens with sharp rocks, and these days no attempts to leave long skid marks ). Hmmm. Nah, I don't see any high end, light Schwalbe tire (RRs, Rocket Rs, NNs) lasting a year on the rear.

But 2.4 or 2.25 Nobby Nics on the front? Wouldn't they last me a year at least?

I think I should be able to get 6 months out of, say, a Nobby Nic for the rear. And 12 months for the front. But I dunno.
If you have not purchased all four tires, I would add the Panaracer CG XC 2.1 to the mix. I like them front and rear. Fast rolling (pavement and dirt) and grip very well. Should wear better than most on the rear, too.
Old 12-24-10, 12:36 PM
tkehler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shiggy
If you have not purchased all four tires, I would add the Panaracer CG XC 2.1 to the mix. I like them front and rear. Fast rolling (pavement and dirt) and grip very well. Should wear better than most on the rear, too.
Haven't heard of them. Will check them out. Thanks.

PS -- what about running a Nobby Nic 2.4 front and a Rocket Ron 2.1 on the rear... Too much height differential?
Old 12-24-10, 01:00 PM
shiggy
On-One/Titus USA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haven't heard of them. Will check them out. Thanks.

PS -- what about running a Nobby Nic 2.4 front and a Rocket Ron 2.1 on the rear... Too much height differential?
Size is not an issue. Just do not expect a long life from the Ron, or good grip/low rolling resistance from either tire on pavement.

I would save at set of aggressive knobbies for your all dirt/trail rides.
Old 12-24-10, 02:57 PM
RIC0
PBR Racing

Bikes: Santa Cruz and Cannondale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Schwalbe Little Albert up front and Smart Sam in rear. Best combo I've ever usered.
Old 12-26-10, 02:35 AM
DirtPedalerB
unofficial roadie

Bikes: 2004 Marin bobcat trail, 2006 trek fuel ex7, 2007 iron horse road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really like the IRC Trailbear for a front tire, they are less than 20 bucks so maybe throw in an 5th. I used to experiment, but now I only change the rear tire on a regular basis. currently it's a Maxxis Ridgeline, rolls great, traction is so so, but it's light. Maybe get something old school like a ritchey z max. Seems like every time I pay ~50 bucks for a fancy new tire it wears out very quickly and I am disappointed. I have had good luck with the maxxis brand tires though.