Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Burn it down burn it all down to the ground

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Burn it down burn it all down to the ground

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-10, 04:16 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Tulex
I don't think people are that stupid.
Incorrect.
Old 12-27-10, 04:37 PM
Tulex
Junk Mile Junkie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by patentcad
If you're taking something that isn't on a banned list you're not doping with a banned substance.
Fixed.
Old 12-28-10, 06:04 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
I wouldn't say I give him a pass. I'm just happy there's the potential for some light to be shed on the truth.
So just for fun, let's say that "the truth" comes out. The whole thing. Then the riders say it's not possible for us to ride these races without something to get us to the finish. We cannnot ride these ridiculous courses (take a peek at the Giro route for 2011 for starters) without some help. Which do you want? You want epic, or you want shorter stages with less climbing and slower racing? The promoters continue to up the ante, then they turn around and admonish the riders for doing what they ask.

Last edited by roadwarrior; 12-28-10 at 06:09 AM.
Old 12-28-10, 06:10 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
the idea that I care what kind of courses they ride is, in short, stupid. I stopped following pro cycling many years ago due to the drugs.
Old 12-28-10, 06:11 AM
roadwarrior

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Spring Water
Whatever helps you sleep at night.
You really have no clue...
Old 12-28-10, 06:29 AM
roadwarrior

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
the idea that I care what kind of courses they ride is, in short, stupid. I stopped following pro cycling many years ago due to the drugs.
Fine. Except you began a thread about doping in pro cycling. There's a reason why this occurs.
Old 12-28-10, 06:33 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

fine. except I've been an athlete for 30 some odd years. I get it.
Old 12-28-10, 07:20 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

the truth is that I don't know, or much care, how today's races compare to the days of yore. I only know that drug use at the upper levels inevitably trickles down and impacts myself and others. then again I don't do real races....hard to get to Belgium on the weekends from NJ.

Last edited by gsteinb; 12-28-10 at 07:44 AM.
Old 12-28-10, 07:34 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Tulex
Fixed.
At last something we can agree on.
Old 12-28-10, 08:00 AM
rankin116

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roadwarrior
So just for fun, let's say that "the truth" comes out. The whole thing. Then the riders say it's not possible for us to ride these races without something to get us to the finish. We cannnot ride these ridiculous courses (take a peek at the Giro route for 2011 for starters) without some help. Which do you want? You want epic, or you want shorter stages with less climbing and slower racing? The promoters continue to up the ante, then they turn around and admonish the riders for doing what they ask.
So do you think that every pro rider is using something illegal?
Old 12-28-10, 08:27 AM
midgetmaestro 

Bikes: Cervelo Soloist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rankin116
So do you think that every pro rider is using something illegal?
More importantly, do you think that every pro rider is using? Illegal or not, it's a form of chemical assistance.
Old 12-28-10, 08:37 AM
rankin116

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by midgetmaestro
More importantly, do you think that every pro rider is using? Illegal or not, it's a form of chemical assistance.
By illegal I meant according to the sport, not the law. Does he think all professional riders are using a banned substance (of some sort) in order to finish and/or be successful in GTs.
Old 12-28-10, 08:38 AM
Dominae

Bikes: Trek Checkpoint; Cannondale Super X

Liked 45 Times in 22 Posts
Trust me I get it. But, like David Millar I don't give him a pass because he had his chance early on. He lied and took money from people to help try to defend that lie.

I feel sorry for him. I don't think he's real smart and I think he got awful advice, but he still had to make the call. But you are correct in that, at that level you are not just winning for yourself. A lot of other people make a living at helping riders win. When they do and they get caught, there's more than one person getting snagged, Liberty Seguros. Festina. For starters.

He lied because it is the culture in cycling to deny, cover up, deny some more and then lie about drug use. If he is a "good boy" and maintains the facade, then, normally, the good old boys club will let you back in to continue on as before. Problem here is that the good old boys club didn't want Floyd back. After playing by the "rules"--- and lying in every way imaginable--- he was shunned. So, its really not that hard to grasp why he lied. They all lie.
Old 12-28-10, 09:14 AM
Spring Water
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes. The fans make them dope.

Where have I heard that line of bull**** before.
Old 12-28-10, 10:11 AM
chasmm

Bikes: '85 Rossin Super Record, '88 Specialized Sequoia, '10 Raleigh Cadent FT2, '10 Specialized Roubaix Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Novitzky hunts and catches professional athletes that cheat. He'll use any means necessary, including fraud involving government money.
Nice choice of words...isn't that what we're all talking about here? Using any means necessary to remain competitive in a race? If you check out those links you'll find that Novitzky isn't too worried about the rules and regulations or how they apply to him.
Old 12-28-10, 10:25 AM
ravenmore

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Novitzky is a putz. He's just trying to take down famous people to further his career.
Old 12-28-10, 10:36 AM
ravenmore

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not that I don't think dopers in sport's should not get caught, I just don't think it's the Federal governments job to use my tax dollars to do so. There are more important things they could waste money on.
Old 12-28-10, 10:44 AM
Spring Water
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chasmm
Nice choice of words...isn't that what we're all talking about here? Using any means necessary to remain competitive in a race? If you check out those links you'll find that Novitzky isn't too worried about the rules and regulations or how they apply to him.
Don't be an idiot.
Old 12-28-10, 10:44 AM
Spring Water
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ravenmore
Not that I don't think dopers in sport's should not get caught, I just don't think it's the Federal governments job to use my tax dollars to do so. There are more important things they could waste money on.
Different discussion.
Old 12-28-10, 10:46 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Liked 343 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by ravenmore

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 12-28-10, 10:57 AM
wens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bullsh*t. They could ride the routes. Not as fast, but they'll make it through them.
Old 12-28-10, 01:07 PM
roadwarrior

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wens
Bullsh*t. They could ride the routes. Not as fast, but they'll make it through them.
Next time read the post to which you were responding. It's so much more fun.

"You want epic or you want shorter stages with less climbing and slower racing?"
Old 12-28-10, 01:08 PM
roadwarrior

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Yes. The fans make them dope.

Where have I heard that line of bull**** before.
You didn't really try, in your post here to compare baseball to grand tour stage racing, did you?

LMAO...
Old 12-28-10, 01:09 PM
Spring Water
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You didn't really try, in your post here to compare baseball to grand tour stage racing, did you?

LMAO...
Wow, you really are that dense aren't you.
Old 12-28-10, 01:11 PM
Spring Water
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Next time read the post to which you were responding. It's so much more fun.
Hmmm, yup...dense as lead.

Originally Posted by wens
Originally Posted by leadwarrior
"You want epic or you want shorter stages with less climbing and slower racing?"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.