Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Roadies and dogs.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Roadies and dogs.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-11, 10:16 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Liked 134 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris

I wouldn't have chosen a $#itZoo, but Allah kinda dropped a peach in my lap...

Heh... I put a front basket on my folder and was thinking this will be another dog bike.
Old 01-03-11, 10:22 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Liked 90 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew
Dogs and roadies do not mix.

Here's the most common view roadies have of dogs.
I know what you mean.

My dog chases anything that goes around and around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVExTZqBHUk

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 01-03-11, 10:48 PM
nixternal
Fat man in a little coat

Bikes: Trek 7.3 FX, Trek 1.2T

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nikki - Silky Terrier (black dog on the couch, just a bigger Yorkie. seriously think he is a mix of Yorkie and Pit Bull, he is a mean bastard)
Sasha - Maltese (white dog trying to take Nikki's toy. The sweetest dog in the world, only torments her brother Nikki.)

RIP Ziggy my 110 pound Pit Bull (AmStaff actually). He was not fat, was insanely muscular, some genetic mutation. He died in 2003 at only 5 years old
Old 01-03-11, 11:36 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Awesome...

https://www.dogwork.com/feeling/

Last edited by Sixty Fiver; 01-03-11 at 11:40 PM.
Old 01-03-11, 11:50 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

Her name is Ridley. The bike is a Scott. Ridley. Scott. Get it? Her mentor Taz:

Old 01-04-11, 12:11 AM
ciocc_cat
"Chooch"

Bikes: Late 1990s Ciocc Titan

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My daughter with our greyhound:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Sept2008 007.jpg (96.6 KB, 15 views)
Old 01-04-11, 05:51 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
There's actually a logical reason to have a cat?!!! My dog keeps burglars out and convinces solicitors to leave after the first knock. What do your cats do?
One handles bugs for my wife when I'm not around... I don't know how he can tell the difference, but he always comes when called for bug duty, but has less than a 50/50 response otherwise.

One is bed and lap warmer, quite handy in the winter.

The third, which puts us in to crazy cat lady territory, was a mouser for a store that we used to have. She was a shockingly effective hunter. When we closed the store, my wife was too attached to her go. Now, instead of terrorizing mice, she terrorizes our pitbull.

To some extent, they all serve as comic relief, too. For instance, the bug hunter, he can open doors, too. It's fun when guests don't heed my advice and he opens the bathroom door on them.
Old 01-04-11, 06:10 AM
garysol1 

Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Brandy...... she's a fine girl.

Old 01-04-11, 08:05 AM
midgetmaestro 

Bikes: Cervelo Soloist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by achoo
Nice grooming jobs on all that hair.

I wish our Newfs would stay that clean.

Our female Landseer is a regular mud-puppy who, outside of about the first 1/2 hour after a bath, normally smells of dirt. We actually had to have an outdoor hot water hose faucet added next to a normal outdoor hose faucet so we could give her a bath outside in the winter, and we've had to use it several times because she loves mud so much. She's so bad that during a drought in the summer a few years ago, three months past the last rain, she went out and came back muddy.

The only thing we could figure out was she made her own mud - hopefully from slobber. Hopefully.
When we picked up Maggie in Michigan, her owner told us that we should name her "Little Sh1t"....we should've known that we'd be in for a world of trouble. A few months later, we came back to the house after running a short trip to find that she had toilet-papered the entire house...

When we arrived at the breeder's house to pick up Maria, she was a clean pup. The breeder turned her loose back into the kennel so we could finish the paperwork. When we went to retrieve her to take her home....she was covered from head to tail in mud!
Old 01-04-11, 12:46 PM
Keepfiring
Only mostly new

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My pup when she first came home. Didn't know whether to rejoice that she liked my bike or cringe because she liked my bike.

Old 01-04-11, 12:57 PM
Keepfiring
Only mostly new

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
garysol1, what kind of dog is Brandy? She looks kind of like mine and I don't have any solid info on her as far as breeds.

fully grown photos -
Attached Images
2010-05-16145649.jpg (93.0 KB, 9 views)
Old 01-04-11, 12:59 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
That was a really beautiful vid. (But not beautiful enough to make me cry a little, nope, uh-uh.)
Thanks for posting it.
Old 01-04-11, 01:31 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

That was a really beautiful vid. (But not beautiful enough to make me cry a little, nope, uh-uh.)
Thanks for posting it.
I got a little something in my eye at the end...
Old 01-04-11, 01:52 PM
garysol1 

Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Keepfiring
garysol1, what kind of dog is Brandy? She looks kind of like mine and I don't have any solid info on her as far as breeds.

fully
They could be twins Brandy was a rescue dog so we are not sure on her background. We assume she is mainly Boxer with some Terrier but not sure what else. Best dog ever!!!!
Old 01-04-11, 03:13 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
One night a few Julys ago, my shih-tzu and I were riding my motorcycle home when a gleam of chrome in a ditch caught my eye. A poor older guy had ridden his Harley-Davidson Road King off the asphalt and crashed into a ditch full of iceplant, and was attempting to wrestle this 700-pound motorcycle back up on the road by himself! I pulled over to help, but there were no streetlights, nor sidewalk and the traffic was still whizzing quickly by on the narrow road in the pitch-black night--no place for a dog. So I left her in her gas-tank seat on the bike to help the poor guy.

A car soon stopped and two more guys got out to help. The bike was heavy and the crushed iceplant was slicker than owl-poo, but we were making gradual progress. "1-2-3-HEAVE!, 1-2-3-HEAVE!..." and despite the traffic whizzing by, Angel remained steadfast and stalwart on my parked bike. I was anxious about the cars driving so closely past her, so every once in a while when we were catching our breath, I'd look in the direction of Angel on the bike and say aloud, "You stay! That's a good girl! You STAY right THERE!"

Angel fortunately never moved and we finally got that heavy Road King back up on its asphalt throne again. The panting Harley-man offerred us money, but none of us took it. I noticed his elbow was bleeding and asked, "You sure you're not hurt? You okay to ride home?" He suddenly stopped panting, looked at me very closely and said in a concerned tone, "No...thanks...I'll be fine, are YOU okay?"

That was a little odd, but it didn't dawn on me until we were down the road a mile or so when I looked down at Angel and realized: he couldn't see her on the bike in the darkness and therefore he thought I was talking to my motorcycle.

"You stay! That's a good girl! You STAY right THERE!"

Old 01-04-11, 03:33 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Our little Tzu's could be sisters... Bijoux (Jewel) needs a little more fluff in the winter and tzus seem to be able to handle cold better than many small breeds and many larger breeds.

A dog like a Great Dane could not handle our winter weather and our Min Pin had a nice wardrobe of sweaters and jackets.
Old 01-04-11, 03:37 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Oh are we showing puppy pics, too? Here is Winston as a puppy, the day he showed up in June.

And here he is as a puppy, about 8 months old (just before the holidays). For reference, that's a queen size bed.

Old 01-04-11, 03:40 PM
z-man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's my dog Kana, a husky/lab mix:

As a pup...

And then grown up...
Attached Images
photo.jpg (65.2 KB, 3 views)
HPIM1420.jpg (75.9 KB, 4 views)
10-06-07_1742.jpg (102.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 01-04-11, 04:25 PM
rkelley23

Bikes: 2012 CAAD 10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Couch
This thread is alot better than the cat thread.

Shu Fang
I dont know what you are talking about man cats are the ****
Old 01-04-11, 07:03 PM
MegaTom

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL3, Lynskey Cooper CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
This is just too ****ing much ! The unimaginable cuteness of this video makes me want to vomit !!!
Old 01-04-11, 08:24 PM
OldPilot

Bikes: 2007 Giant OCR C3, 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple & 2002 Diamondback Response

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My beautiful black lab Heather died 2 years ago, I am still hurting with her not around. Losing a dog is as painful as losing a family member. I plan on adopting another family member, a dog, when I retire from the military. I really enjoy seeing all of your pups, i.e. sons and daughters, some really beautiful dogs...all of them. Scratch their belly for those of us who lost our best friend. Thanks for the pictures!
Old 01-04-11, 09:24 PM
Werkin

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My girlfriend's dog Owen is a roadie, he loves to run with the bike. She has a long cruiser bike thats great for tethering him to when riding in the big city. He goes nuts when we air the tires.

Owen loves everyone (except the post person) and every dog. He's a bit neurotic when it comes to thunder or separation, but I really like him.

Edit for clarification, the dog is not tethered to "the bike" as stated above, he's handled by the rider.

Owen is not just a bike dog, he's into other road things too, like riding in the MINI.

He likes to wrench in preparation for track days also.

Last edited by Werkin; 01-04-11 at 10:10 PM. Reason: more content and PC clarification
Old 01-04-11, 09:48 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Originally Posted by OldPilot
I plan on adopting another family member, a dog, when I retire from the military.
In our experience, a dog comes along every so often. We've only gone out of our way to get two dogs. The other five we've had were dogs that just kind of showed up and stayed. Winston was kind of unexpected; we already have Sugar and Ania

and Cookie

Old 01-04-11, 09:53 PM
kimberlein

Bikes: 2007 Serotta Fierte/Alpha Q CS-10 fork/Campy Centaur 10sp/Mavic Ksyrium wheels; 2007 Gary Fisher Marlin GS; 2005 Sun Drifter for running big dog, Owen... Past road bikes: 1977 Gitane, 1985 Peugeot, 1990s Alvarado steel frame/8sp Campy Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, Owen can't keep up with road bikes, but he does like to run alongside a Sun Drifter.

Last edited by kimberlein; 01-04-11 at 10:52 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-04-11, 09:57 PM
cwk132

Bikes: 2010 Giant Defy 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
This dog's expression is hilarious.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.