Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Disk brakes/ Upcoming Build

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-11, 12:11 AM
rwmichel

Bikes: Biachi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a bike frame that I want to finish by the spring

Older bianchi steel frame, but it looks good and I caught a great deal.

I am looking to upgrad the components then replace the frame down the line. I have a medium budget and some specifics but other than that I'm looking for some good insight.

Singlespeed/front disk brake/ maybe a bag(10mi commute). road inspired, commute ready, singlespeed... haha they are some high hopes but we'll see.

heres a list of products im looking for;
(dark fork with disk brake compatability, Single front wheel with disk, single speed crankset, single speed rear wheel, budget race saddle, etc.) yadayada as you know the list is long.

but im ready to build and want to find some parts that will convert to higher end frame nicely.

Do i need a special lever for disk use?
Old 01-28-11, 12:47 AM
Gyeswho
Utilitarian Boy

Bikes: Check the sig to find out

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
look for a dimension cross disc or kona p2 disc fork. make sure you get the one for a road bike not mtb. they are relatively inexpensive at ~$70.

Look for a used front wheel(set) on craigslist first. Sram Courier cranks are outboard bearing so you won't have as much hassle with maintenance

Avid BB5 or BB7 road disc brakes will work with road levers, and the regular BB5 or BB7 work with mtb levers

I did the same thing you're planning on doing with my Crosscheck

Last edited by Gyeswho; 01-28-11 at 12:50 AM.
Old 01-28-11, 02:10 AM
bleedingapple

Bikes: Leader 722TS, Surly Cross Check, GT Outpost, Haro Z16, Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
damn i love you bike

Originally Posted by Gyeswho
look for a dimension cross disc or kona p2 disc fork. make sure you get the one for a road bike not mtb. they are relatively inexpensive at ~$70.

Look for a used front wheel(set) on craigslist first. Sram Courier cranks are outboard bearing so you won't have as much hassle with maintenance

Avid BB5 or BB7 road disc brakes will work with road levers, and the regular BB5 or BB7 work with mtb levers

Old 01-28-11, 07:58 AM
rwmichel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gyeswho

Your bike does look good! it's very close to what i am looking to do, without the fenders it's almost exact.
Any input on salsa forks? they have a nice looking one for 700c + disk and compatible with a rack i like.
Are you wheels a set? if so what kind?

great looking saddle, great looking bike.
Old 01-28-11, 10:16 AM
Gyeswho
Utilitarian Boy

Bikes: Check the sig to find out

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rwmichel
Your bike does look good! it's very close to what i am looking to do, without the fenders it's almost exact.
Any input on salsa forks? they have a nice looking one for 700c + disk and compatible with a rack i like.

Thanks. The Salsa La Cruz Fork looks good too so you won't be going wrong there.

I originally had the wheelset as Salsa Delgado rims laced to formula hubs, but when I switched the front to disc, I had a Shimano Deore hub laced to the Delgado.
Old 01-28-11, 12:00 PM
ScottRock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ey, Grand Rapids! I grew up in Kalamazoo.

Just want to note that if your build is ss you should also really consider installing a rear brake. Fenders would be ideal, i'd think, for commuting--but that's totally up to you. For cranks, do you prefer 1/8" or 3/32" chains? And wheels, i don't know if it makes a difference to you, but Velocity USA is headquartered in GR.
Old 01-28-11, 02:53 PM
webtwo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to second the Project Two forks. I have one that came on my KONA and another I bought for my GF's bike. Strong, light and include fender mounts. With discs, you have to use spacers to keep the fender struts clear of the brakes. I have a standard MTB freehub with a SS conversion kit, but some day I'd like to build a wheel with a dishless SS hub. For cranks, I like older racing doubles, like campy or DA.
Old 01-29-11, 11:33 AM
rwmichel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GR is a great place to ride. Amazing hills and river rides! looking for 3/32 chain.
Velo is great, I'm definitely get on a pair of those. would i have to buy only rim, and mount them to a disk compatible hub?
Old 01-29-11, 01:01 PM
ScottRock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For 3/32", i think the SRAM courier mentioned above would be fine. 1/8" is kind of the standard now, that kind of limits your choices in that dept.

If you're planning on building your own wheel, then yeah. Personally i'd just let a pro wheelbuilder handle it, but i'm not a wheelbuilder.
Old 01-29-11, 01:19 PM
kyselad
extra bitter

Bikes: Miyata 210, Fuji Royale II, Bridgestone Kabuki, Miyata Ninety

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rwmichel

You're in Michigan, planning to run a disc, but don't want fenders? No offense, but does not compute.
Old 01-30-11, 05:57 PM
rwmichel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kyselad
You're in Michigan, planning to run a disc, but don't want fenders? No offense, but does not compute.
Still use fenders, but a different style, and mostly just a rear.
Old 01-30-11, 06:53 PM
milkcratebasket
poppawheelie

Bikes: Panasonic, Super Cycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Front fenders are pretty cool. I have found riding in the rain without one the water shoots up from the front wheel, and sprays off of the down tube on my feet soaking them in seconds...