Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Wife hit by driver

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Wife hit by driver

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-09, 12:01 PM
Jordan300
Multi

Bikes: '05 Trek Fuel 70, Desmarais Fixed Gear Custom, '05 Felt F55

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has anything else happened with this?
Old 06-29-09, 11:38 PM
USCdeacon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
???

I'm also very curious as to what has happened - please update us!
Old 06-30-09, 10:51 AM
Nichole

Bikes: 2009 Giant Defy 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kombiguy
She made me take her bicycle shopping today! She's looking at a Trek Madone 5.2 WSD. She says since State Farm will be paying for it, might as well go high-end!
Hey, that's my dream bike! Lucky (if that's what you can call it...)! Glad that she is able to keep riding despite that near brush with becoming yet another statistic, and happy for her new bike opportunity. The circumstances behind the new bike certainly do suck, though. =/.
Old 06-30-09, 01:46 PM
tehdely
Huff Puff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can you people please stop bumping this until kombiguy has an update? It keeps getting my hopes up.
Old 07-01-09, 04:03 PM
Camilo

Liked 1,290 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by tehdely
can you people please stop bumping this until kombiguy has an update? It keeps getting my hopes up.
ok
Old 07-01-09, 04:58 PM
tehdely
Huff Puff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
ok
Why I oughta...
Old 08-09-09, 11:00 PM
hubcap
One Man Fast Brick

Bikes: Specialized Langster, Bianchi San Jose, early 90s GT Karakoram, Yuba Mundo, Mercier Nano (mini velo), Nashbar Steel Commuter, KHS Tandemania Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bueller....bueller...
Old 01-25-11, 08:36 PM
kombiguy

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Well, it has been a long time, but we're close to a resolution. I browbeat the Sheriff into issuing citations, and the driver(after numerous continuances) goes to trial Friday. She's charged with violating the 3 foot law, and negligent driving. The State's Attorney refuses to plea bargain, considering the driver has had 4 tickets in the last year. I'll post the results of the trial as soon as I know.
We settled with the insurance company, and when all was said and done, we hit them for upwards of 20 grand.
After the trial, I'm going to be making my gripes with the Sheriff very public and very loud! Thanks for everybody's support. Wife is fine, just still gun-shy about riding on the roads.
Old 01-25-11, 09:23 PM
Marinman

Bikes: Several, including my handle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the update, just caught this. Glad she's ok (sounds like it) but this case shouldnt be overlooked. Imagine if it was a crew doing road work (not a comparision) but maybe a litter crew? They have to remember that most of the cyclists on the road are also tax paying, gas tax paying members of society. Rights shouldnt be lowered while safely and lawfully riding a bike...
MM
Old 01-25-11, 10:43 PM
Cyclaholic
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Liked 695 Times in 372 Posts
Well, it has been a long time, but we're close to a resolution. I browbeat the Sheriff into issuing citations, and the driver(after numerous continuances) goes to trial Friday. She's charged with violating the 3 foot law, and negligent driving. The State's Attorney refuses to plea bargain, considering the driver has had 4 tickets in the last year. I'll post the results of the trial as soon as I know.
We settled with the insurance company, and when all was said and done, we hit them for upwards of 20 grand.
After the trial, I'm going to be making my gripes with the Sheriff very public and very loud! Thanks for everybody's support. Wife is fine, just still gun-shy about riding on the roads.
Thanks for the update, kombiguy. I've had your case on my mind on-and-off and was hoping to hear from you..... mostly I'm glad to hear she's recovering well from her physical injuries (let her know there's a guy in Australia that doesn't even know her name but has been wishing her well since day one of her ordeal, she might get a kick out of that ).
Old 01-26-11, 02:48 AM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just got back from the hospital. Wife is more or less OK. She has a concussion, some bruises, and a bunch of road rash. Prognosis good.

The driver is a young woman of 20 or so. She was driving along, she claims at 55, more likely 65, when she reached down to get her cigarettes. She proceeded to whack my wife, totalling her Trek WSD. Boy, when carbon bikes get hit, they break into pieces. The bike was hit so hard it not only bent the rims, but actually broke them. The left chainstay was broken completely off, the top tube broke into 3 pieces, and the down tube snapped off at the bottom bracket.

Her helmet was fractured, but it saved her head. I wont ride without mine anymore!

I'll have pictures up tomorrow!
Your wife is in my prayers for a positive recovery.

Considering that your wife had a concussion, I hope she had a CT-Scan to make sure she didn't suffer a closed-head injury.
Old 01-26-11, 02:59 AM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
She made me take her bicycle shopping today! She's looking at a Trek Madone 5.2 WSD. She says since State Farm will be paying for it, might as well go high-end!
Smart wife, although, I think it should be the idiot driver, not the insurance company footing the bill for a new bike. So it really drives home, how irresponsible the driver was.
Old 01-26-11, 08:06 AM
mikeybikes

Bikes: Tons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's so good to hear that after all this time, your wife is fine.
Old 01-26-11, 09:49 AM
Unreasonable

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This made me smile. I'm gonna go off to a good day of classes knowing that you managed this.
Old 01-26-11, 11:55 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
The State's Attorney refuses to plea bargain, considering the driver has had 4 tickets in the last year.
Good. Although I was agreeing with people early on in the thread that the driver should be punished but not crucified, someone who gets 4 tickets in a year (is that AFTER hitting your wife, I assume?) does need to be taken off the road. People can rationalize a lot of bad behavior, everyone does it, they shouldn't be on the road anyway, blah, blah. Maybe actually losing her license for 6 to 12 months might convince her that what she is doing IS out of the ordinary, and that it will be taken seriously by the authorities.
Old 01-26-11, 06:47 PM
bikenut2011
No, your OTHER left!!

Bikes: 2 motos and a schwinn (road bikes more or less)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just got back from the hospital. Wife is more or less OK. She has a concussion, some bruises, and a bunch of road rash. Prognosis good.

The driver is a young woman of 20 or so. She was driving along, she claims at 55, more likely 65, when she reached down to get her cigarettes. She proceeded to whack my wife, totalling her Trek WSD. Boy, when carbon bikes get hit, they break into pieces. The bike was hit so hard it not only bent the rims, but actually broke them. The left chainstay was broken completely off, the top tube broke into 3 pieces, and the down tube snapped off at the bottom bracket.

Her helmet was fractured, but it saved her head. I wont ride without mine anymore!

I'll have pictures up tomorrow!
Your wife is damn lucky!!! Glad she will be ok!!! The bike will be replaced, a human life can not.

andy

edit: Oh my ...just saw how old this thread is... glad it all worked out for you and your wife!
Old 01-27-11, 08:17 PM
trek2.3bike

Bikes: Trek 5.2 and Trek 2.3 WSD upgraded to full Ultegra.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Got a call from the League of American Bicyclists. My wife's story will be on their website in the section called "traffic injustices" or something similar. Hopefully, more pressure on the sheriff!
If it's on their website it will take a 10-person crew of Geeks a week to find. Most useless web site I've surfed this week.
Old 01-28-11, 01:09 PM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Great news! Looking forward to the final resolution.
Old 01-28-11, 04:26 PM
dogbitteneear

Bikes: TE CLONE AND TE CLONE WITH JACKSHAFT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Something to think about is the insurance industry does not like paying out huge sums of money. I smell a mega lawwsuit.
Having a lawsuit will cause the driver to pay higher (extremelly) premiums on her coverage for a long time. It's equvalent to
a governmental agency doing a quasi-judgement on her.
Old 01-29-11, 01:48 AM
dougmc

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, Strada

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dogbitteneear
Something to think about is the insurance industry does not like paying out huge sums of money. I smell a mega lawwsuit.
This is why your policy has limits.

The mandatory policy limits in most states are pathetic -- hitting a sports car could easily exceed them, and actually injuring somebody could burn through those limits in the first few hours in the hospital.

But the insurance company will only pay out up to the limit of the policy, nothing more. If there's going to be a mega lawsuit, so be it, but the insurance company won't be paying it out (unless this person had a mega policy, perhaps an umbrella policy.)
Old 01-30-11, 02:59 PM
kombiguy

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Well trial was held, driver convicted on one of two counts. Sentenced to a whopping 175 dollar fine. It came out during trial that the driver has had four tickets since hitting my wife, one of them a DUI. The judge still only fined her $175.
Old 01-30-11, 03:18 PM
crhilton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well trial was held, driver convicted on one of two counts. Sentenced to a whopping 175 dollar fine. It came out during trial that the driver has had four tickets since hitting my wife, one of them a DUI. The judge still only fined her $175.
*sigh*

I'm guessing that's for violating the 3' law.
Old 01-30-11, 06:44 PM
Tem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has she been sentenced for the DUI yet? If not, I would have a talk with the prosecutor in that case.
Old 01-30-11, 07:14 PM
dougmc

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, Strada

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by crhilton
*sigh*
I'm guessing that's for violating the 3' law.
Probably not, as most 3' passing laws are about passing and don't cover things like running somebody over from behind, left or right hooks, etc.
Old 01-30-11, 08:22 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
After the trial, I'm going to be making my gripes with the Sheriff very public and very loud!
Don't forget to bring them back up around election time. The fact that the citations were issued eventually can be used to prove that there was no valid reason not to issue them right away, as well.

I have to wonder where those cigarettes were, too. With a 60MPH closing speed, (bike @15, car @75, for example) 450 feet is about 5 seconds travel time. This is what I base most of my visibility mods on, and it's not that hard to achieve 450-500 foot visibility day or night. (Probably why most of the light/reflector requirements call for 500 foot visibility.) 5 seconds is forever in terms of vehicle reaction times, and a long time to be fishing for cigarettes without looking up at the road.

Last edited by KD5NRH; 01-30-11 at 08:34 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.