Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Dear Sister, PLEASE get off my back.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Dear Sister, PLEASE get off my back.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-11, 05:45 PM
rideon7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!

Let's Bowling!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
lets-bowling.jpg (37.5 KB, 14 views)
Old 01-30-11, 06:26 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
My sister is gone now due to cancer. I miss her every day. She lit up a room just by walking in and was loved by all who knew her. I am very sorry that some of the folks here have not had that kind of relationship with others in their family. I'm sure that leaves some sort of open wound. So long as they are alive there is a chance of mending fences and I truly hope that is the way it will work out. Perhaps there is something you can do, in spite of considerable scar tissue, to turn this around.
Old 01-30-11, 07:03 PM
miss kenton

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
I feel for you, NOS88, but reading this thread reminds me that I am fortunate. I have a loving older brother, a cyclist who lives in Texas, and one sister, 14 years my junior, who lives nearby and supports and is very proud that her older sister can hold her own on a bike. If she did complain, I know I could tell her to "get over it" and she would. I am closer to her than anyone else, so I guess I'm here to say, not all sisters are ogres. I must be very lucky.
Old 01-30-11, 07:23 PM
Bare Feet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am one of four born in four years. I'm very close to one sister who lives nearby. We talk more than once a day haha and email too. I'm also really close to my brother who lives in Minnesota. I enjoy our relationship like crazy! We mostly email and text. We laugh and reminisce.. it's a blast! Mostly we support each other. At times here and there through the years there would be difficulties, but we worked them out eventually. My divorce created a current problem with one sister--that has crushed me.

I raised my own three children to care for each other and family above all else, and they do. As a mother, this is a huge comfort.

To berner, my condolences. But you were lucky to have a much loved sister. I guess not all do.

NOS, since you love your sister, one thing you could try saying "I hoped you'd be happy for me knowing how much cycling means to me. I'm happy you're bowling, and able to do something you enjoy."
Old 01-30-11, 07:56 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerBeagle
(what exactly are the cardiovascular benefits of bowling?)
Probably balanced out by the mandatory chili fries.
Old 01-30-11, 09:11 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
NOS88, don't take this wrong, but it sounds like your sister needs to have someone hit it from the back.

She has too much time on her hands, and too much nose in your biz. Slice it off, if you know what I mean. When she's paying your bills, then your expenditures are her concern, not until.
Old 01-30-11, 09:30 PM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
I've posted this before, but it bears repeating:

I've been asked "How do you get so much bike junk?" I'm going to share my techniques here.

The trick to getting more bike stuff is to endlessly expand your available rationalizations.
As a bike commuter every tank of gas I don't get is $50 for bike stuff. BUT THAT'S ONLY A START!!
The expensive gym around here is about $100 a month. I'm not a member because I cycle. Therefore, that's $100 tax free savings to me! Every month! See where I'm going here?

Everything I buy as a Performance Bike member gives me a 10% credit. Now, I'm saving that to get my sweet cycling wife a present. Do I want to look cheap, or get her something nice? That's right-- something nice.
And how can I get my Performance credits up? Only by buying more bike stuff. It's a win-win!

Do you have a neighbor that water skis? Every dime they spend on their boat counts as money you save by not spending it on YOUR boat that you don't own!
If you do it right, it turns out you can't afford NOT to have a bunch of new bike stuff ALL THE TIME!

Send me $27.50 for my new book on how this works, or better yet, don't send the money and you save $27.50 to spend on your bike. Not enough? Then don't buy copies for your friends and save $27.50 on each friend you didn't buy for! Tell your friends not to buy it for you and in no time they'll be rolling in bike swag too!
Old 01-30-11, 09:31 PM
bkaapcke

Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
Just let it go. bk
Old 01-30-11, 10:04 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones too. My sister (older by 6 years) does ride, with her husband, but only easy MUP types and not big miles. But hey, no worries.

She doesn't give me trouble about anything, least of all my riding double centuries and spending big money (compared to her) on bikes. Her daughter runs marathons, so that's a similar mentality to riding doubles, and maybe that's why it's not big deal.

Works for me anyway!

Rick / OCRR
Old 01-30-11, 10:09 PM
RunningPirate

Bikes: 1970? Dawes Galaxy (cannibalized), 197? Bob Jackson Frankenbike, 1989 Jamis Diablo

Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew

I've been asked "How do you get so much bike junk?" I'm going to share my techniques here.

The trick to getting more bike stuff is to endlessly expand your available rationalizations.
As a bike commuter every tank of gas I don't get is $50 for bike stuff. BUT THAT'S ONLY A START!!
The expensive gym around here is about $100 a month. I'm not a member because I cycle. Therefore, that's $100 tax free savings to me! Every month! See where I'm going here?

Everything I buy as a Performance Bike member gives me a 10% credit. Now, I'm saving that to get my sweet cycling wife a present. Do I want to look cheap, or get her something nice? That's right-- something nice.
And how can I get my Performance credits up? Only by buying more bike stuff. It's a win-win!

Do you have a neighbor that water skis? Every dime they spend on their boat counts as money you save by not spending it on YOUR boat that you don't own!
If you do it right, it turns out you can't afford NOT to have a bunch of new bike stuff ALL THE TIME!

Send me $27.50 for my new book on how this works, or better yet, don't send the money and you save $27.50 to spend on your bike. Not enough? Then don't buy copies for your friends and save $27.50 on each friend you didn't buy for! Tell your friends not to buy it for you and in no time they'll be rolling in bike swag too!
So, to use your method, can I say that the CEO up in Palo Alto spent $50MM on his Gulfstream V, thus saving me $50MM that I didn't spend on the plane that I don't own?

As for the OP, isn't it funny how as adults we still find that we have to justify things that are really no one else's business? My family does not know about the bike I bought in December...I didn't want to hear any crap from them...

I'd just tell your sister to let you worry about your own money (as nicely or as bluntly as you see fit).
Old 01-30-11, 10:19 PM
gitarzan
Lost Again

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1991 Sirrus, Specialized Secteur Elite, Miele Umbria Elite.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'd tell her the same thing I tell anyone who asks me why I have 9 bikes, or dozens of 60s-70s era cameras, or some 30 guitars...

"Because I like them."

BTW my sister is wonderful.
Old 01-30-11, 11:58 PM
Rowan

Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Remember these three simple words... they apply to a whole lot of things that other people ask dumb questions about:

BECAUSE I CAN!
Old 01-31-11, 07:38 AM
gtragitt

Bikes: 2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My sister is a Saint, but I can't say I understand her. I consider myself to be practical and consider her to be the opposite. She would never give me advice, and I would never give her advice since we are so different.

My wife does seem to resent bicycle expenditures, but she does not complain. I consider my bicycle as a necessity since I am diabetic. I am more passionate about riding when I have the bicycle and accessories that I desire. Riding has kept the diabetes at bay. I take no medication and have controlled it with exercise for nearly 20 years. My late wife was more supportive in my quest for diabetic control.
Old 01-31-11, 07:53 AM
gear

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Does your sister read Bikeforums? If not she will probably not read your "Please get off my back" comment. Maybe you should just say it to her. Thats what I would do if someone was riding me about something. Who knows maybe she rides a lot of people because she doesn't realize she is stepping over a boundary, maybe you could help educate her.
Old 01-31-11, 08:02 AM
hikeandbike

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse 2, Cannondale F 500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lost me sister 24 years ago. She was brilliant, charming, beautiful and totally outside the box. She wanted to be the first woman to sail on the Calypso with Cousteau, got deeply involved in the New Catholic Left during the Vietnam era and learned so much about my mother's disease, she guided her physicians in my mom's treatment. She was three years older than I and throughout out lives so many doors opened for me because of the strength and vision she demonstrated. I miss her and wish she was around as a friend and a model for my kids. I guess I was lucky to have her for 30 years.
Old 01-31-11, 03:05 PM
oilman_15106

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CACycling
Unless you are telling her, how does she know how much you spend?
The sister must be worried that she will have to support the OP if he becomes destitute from spending so much $ on cycling.
Old 01-31-11, 03:39 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Liked 737 Times in 458 Posts
No matter what your 'hobby' or 'sport' is, it's gonna cost money. Next time she questions how you're spending your money, feel free to question how she's spending hers. Fair is fair. At least with bicycling, once you've bought the hardware the activity is free. Unlike bowling or golf, which costs every time you play.
Old 01-31-11, 03:43 PM
tpelle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tell her that cat food is good for ya! And you'll save enough of your retirement money that, for a treat, once in a while you can afford the hairball formula!
Old 01-31-11, 04:25 PM
t4mv
ES&D

Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^
Old 01-31-11, 05:48 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
A high-end bicycle is the ultimate status symbol.

Park a $25,000 bass boat and trailer in your driveway and the neighbors might not even notice. Let it slip that you paid $5,000 for a bicycle that you still have to pedal and they'll think that you must have money to burn.
Old 01-31-11, 06:26 PM
jwh

Bikes: Trek EX9.8, Cervelo S3, Eddy Mercyx Mourenx 69 disc, Intense Carbine,

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like the way you think!
The sad part about it is that's how the government does the budget too!

Old 01-31-11, 07:17 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Liked 737 Times in 458 Posts

I have to admit, this is pretty good. No, it's very good. I'll have to try it on the wife!
Old 02-01-11, 02:14 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Dog
That's not a unique relationship. EVERYBODY feels that way about his sister.
B.S.

My sister and I live about 1700 miles apart, so we don't get to see or chat enough. When we are together we get along like the closest oldest of friends, which we are.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 02-01-11, 02:53 PM
Don in Austin
Don from Austin Texas

Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have a rationalization that will cover anything I spend on the bikes x 100! 14 years of dirt track stock car racing with no outside sponsorship. Its not official, but I have pretty much retired after achieving a street stock track championship the summer of 2008. When you consider diesel fuel to tow 100+ miles each way every weekend, racing fuel @ $6/gallon, tires, $40 pit pass for driver, $25 for crew members etc. etc. etc. and meager payouts, it makes buying a CF bike frame on E-Bay for $300 seem dirt cheap!

Don in Austin
Old 02-01-11, 03:29 PM
Phil85207
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Tell her she needn't worry about if you are going to run out of money because she isn't in your will anyway. That should shut her up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.