Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Isn't anyone outraged by what Cavendish said today?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Isn't anyone outraged by what Cavendish said today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-11, 12:22 PM
dbf73
TFO

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL7 eTap, Felt AR-B, Colnago Master Mapei

Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Isn't it just a matter of degree? If someone said the same thing about Bernie Madoff or Jeffrey Dahmer, we'd hear a chorus of right-on's
Old 02-11-11, 12:49 PM
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Doesn't bother me at all. I think it's just part of a good sprinter's social makeup to fire away without thinking. If he were more thoughtful or reserved, I think he wouldn't be winning sprints. When you're mixing it up at 60-70 kmh in a crowd of testosterone-crazed animals, you've got to have a certain mindset which does not include the notion of thinking or backing off! It comes with the territory.

L.
Old 02-11-11, 12:52 PM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It looks like Lindsay Lohan may be doing some prison time. I hereby volunteer to be her prison b*(&^.
Old 02-11-11, 12:56 PM
bobbycorno

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by lhbernhardt
Doesn't bother me at all. I think it's just part of a good sprinter's social makeup to fire away without thinking. If he were more thoughtful or reserved, I think he wouldn't be winning sprints. When you're mixing it up at 60-70 kmh in a crowd of testosterone-crazed animals, you've got to have a certain mindset which does not include the notion of thinking or backing off! It comes with the territory.

L.
Y'got that right. Anybody remember Mario Cipollini? A regular one-man sideshow.

SP
Bend, OR
Old 02-11-11, 12:59 PM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
People forget how young Mark is.
Old 02-11-11, 02:09 PM
Marauder9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You have to admit though, when Cav speaks his mind he really is telling you exactly what he thinks, no holds barred.

Sometimes things he says comes across really arrogant but IIRC some people close to him have said he is just very forthright and outspoken kind of guy.
Old 02-11-11, 03:43 PM
Tony N.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Not a great comment by Cav, but no, I'm not outraged.
I agree. Not outraged. Does he literaly wish that for Ricco or any other human. I hope and expect not. We all or most watched the Super Bowl. Is was there any doping involved? I think all sports should have the same scrutiney that cycling does and then there would be enough money for rsearch to stop all of it. Just like asking the question, should a pro football star get a heart transplant after doping and steriods has turned his heart to mush. I don't think cycling is broken. It is the only sport that I know of that is working on the problem.
Old 02-11-11, 03:48 PM
Rowan

Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Marauder9
You have to admit though, when Cav speaks his mind he really is telling you exactly what he thinks, no holds barred.

Sometimes things he says comes across really arrogant but IIRC some people close to him have said he is just very forthright and outspoken kind of guy.
And doesn't the world need a bit more of those sorts of people?

NOS88, with all due respect, you need to get out of your ivory tower, roll up your sleeves and do a bit of physical labour with the blue collar set. Again trust me on this, they will call a spade a spade, not an "implement for the removal and placement elsewhere of geologically formed particles, decaying vegetable matter and plastic mass comprising a self-setting compound mixed with variable-sized aggregate".

I'm not sure of Cavendish's background, but as a Manx man, I can imagine he has a very independent outlook on life that has made him a winner, and a very gracious one when it comes to recognising those teammates who put him on the podium.

The real issue with doping for mine is not so much that it creates false winners and losers, but that it threatens the lives of the individuals who engage in it... from the elite down to the amateur wannabe.

Frankly, cycling needs characters, as any sport does. Those characters usually have strong opinions about themselves and those around them.

Oh and for the poster who wanted to tarnish-without-proof Cavendish with the doping brush, just have a look at how he and the other sprinters like McEwen pull up at the end of mountain stages, well off the back of the peloton, and struggling to finish inside the time limit.

It's amazing that some posters want to denigrate Cavendish's comments, yet engage in exactly the same sort of rhetoric about him to justify their view. But then again, it is the 50+ forum...
Old 02-11-11, 05:16 PM
NOS88

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan

NOS88, with all due respect, you need to get out of your ivory tower, roll up your sleeves and do a bit of physical labor with the blue collar set. Again trust me on this, they will call a spade a spade, not an "implement for the removal and placement elsewhere of geologically formed particles, decaying vegetable matter and plastic mass comprising a self-setting compound mixed with variable-sized aggregate".

I'm not sure of Cavendish's background, but as a Manx man, I can imagine he has a very independent outlook on life that has made him a winner, and a very gracious one when it comes to recognizing those teammates who put him on the podium.

The real issue with doping for mine is not so much that it creates false winners and losers, but that it threatens the lives of the individuals who engage in it... from the elite down to the amateur wannabe.

Frankly, cycling needs characters, as any sport does. Those characters usually have strong opinions about themselves and those around them.

Oh and for the poster who wanted to tarnish-without-proof Cavendish with the doping brush, just have a look at how he and the other sprinters like McEwen pull up at the end of mountain stages, well off the back of the peloton, and struggling to finish inside the time limit.

It's amazing that some posters want to denigrate Cavendish's comments, yet engage in exactly the same sort of rhetoric about him to justify their view. But then again, it is the 50+ forum...
I seriously doubt that it's with all due respect. You know nothing of my life, how I live, the company I keep. You know nothing of my family or my family's history. All you know is that I teach. Hell, you don't even know if it's full time, part time, year round, or what. But you think I live in an ivory tower. And you suggest I should "trust you on this". Frankly, I don't think that's gonna happen.
Old 02-11-11, 06:34 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
If pro cycling, a sport trying to do something about its entrenched PED problem, is broken, then what is the NFL or Baseball?
Those sports are fine. Mets season ticket packages are now available.
Old 02-11-11, 07:04 PM
Red Baron

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
His book is pretty good.
Old 02-11-11, 07:43 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by BengeBoy
Riccardo Ricco

it's OK to use that kind of language about another athlete.
Is Ricco really another athlete if he is doping and thereby helping destroy the sport that the true athletes are making their living.
Old 02-11-11, 07:47 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by AzTallRider
It looks like Lindsay Lohan may be doing some prison time. I hereby volunteer to be her prison b*(&^.
Think about that first, she will use you to hide (prison style) the next diamond necklace that she steals.
Old 02-11-11, 07:48 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

No.
Old 02-11-11, 07:49 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Originally Posted by Red Baron
His book is pretty good.
Yes.
Old 02-11-11, 08:12 PM
Whiteknight

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
But you think I live in an ivory tower.
Now I just got home from work and checked in on this thread. Twas a bad night at the office! But the quip quoted brought a big smile to my face.
A short pee call at Betzwood could get you another PhD in abnormal psychology. Then a short break at Hawes Ave. to watch that action along the trail would sort of top it off.
On your usually rides you get to rub elbows with some of the best and some of the worst.

E. Ogre
Old 02-11-11, 09:14 PM
BikeArkansas

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cav is OK. Leave him alone. I agree with one poster, it takes this type person to sprint to a finish. Cav is one of the best at one of the most dangerous few seconds in sports and it takes place after 100+ miles of racing. It is not surprising for him to have this type personality when you consider the nerve he must have.

Another thing, it was asked how Cav could say something like that about another athlete. Ricco, after this latest bout is not much of an athlete. Cav is talking about a doper.
Old 02-11-11, 09:31 PM
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I like it. It would seem that some members of the peleton are getting fed up with the dopers. I think that is a good sign. Could Cav have phrased his statement better? Probably. But he made his point very clear.
Old 02-11-11, 09:43 PM
Kurt Erlenbach

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thoughtless comments about prison **** are way too common. So is doping in cycling. Both are too depressingly common to be outrageous.
Old 02-11-11, 09:53 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Liked 348 Times in 227 Posts
An autologous transfusion of blood kept way too long in a home fridge is just stupid beyond belief. It's not drugs and it harms no one else but it is incredibly stupid and risky and it's cheating.

Not surprising that others would react strongly.

Last edited by JanMM; 02-11-11 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-11-11, 09:57 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Originally Posted by BikeWNC
It would seem that some members of the peleton are getting fed up with the dopers. I think that is a good sign.
Hopefully.
Old 02-12-11, 02:12 AM
btlupin1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan

NOS88, with all due respect, you need to get out of your ivory tower, roll up your sleeves and do a bit of physical labour with the blue collar set. Again trust me on this, they will call a spade a spade, not an "implement for the removal and placement elsewhere of geologically formed particles, decaying vegetable matter and plastic mass comprising a self-setting compound mixed with variable-sized aggregate".

I'm not sure of Cavendish's background, but as a Manx man, I can imagine he has a very independent outlook on life that has made him a winner, and a very gracious one when it comes to recognising those teammates who put him on the podium.

You do realize that not all doping is about going faster - it is also about surviving 3 weeks of racing.
I don't see what age has to do with the comments - I am not 50 +.
Old 02-12-11, 02:31 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Someone put a microphone in front of Mark and asked him for a comment. He gave his own. Think I would have said near the same.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-12-11, 06:38 AM
kr32

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Baron
His book is pretty good.
agreed
I am a Cavendish fan to be honest.
And to answer the OP...No I am not.
Old 02-12-11, 07:50 AM
Bare Feet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was an awful thing to say about anyone, ever. But I don't think it was meant literally. Cavendish's sentence started off with well wishes for Ricco "Obviously I hope he does recover well". He doesn't wish him physical harm, but does want him severely, lawfully punished.

If he had made the comment directly to Ricco, then it would've been worse than outrageous.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.