Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Saturday is my first century ride - help

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Saturday is my first century ride - help

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-11, 09:20 AM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pmcq
Getting through the first SAG stop was even worse than y'all described.

I told ya it was a mess earlier in the thread. When you replied with "I'm slow so I'll get there late avoiding the crowd", I said to myself "YEEEEAH RIGHT!"

As far as a desert ride, I'd rather do Borrego Springs. MUCH purtier and a MUCH smaller crowd!

Last edited by Mr. Beanz; 02-15-11 at 09:24 AM.
Old 02-15-11, 09:29 AM
TJClay

Bikes: Domane Project One, 6 series, Ui2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ya , i'm rethinking this ride for next year. Just way too crowded and for $60 bucks you get a t-shirt. Course markings would be nice for the slower riders and maybe a limit on riders. I'm in for tour of borrego though.
Old 02-15-11, 10:56 AM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pam,

You are one plucky lady. Thank God for advil.

I ride one local century that has a mass start the Horrible Hundred in Clermont. It has about 2500 riders. I usually slip away before the start. Last year, I was lucky and the lead group passed me whilst I was at a SAG stop.

I was at one ride that was really, really crazy. It was the Space Coast Century years ago. It had a mass start. They held the lights for us. The riders took a whole lane on the 4 lane divided causeways. It was 4 abreast and I was about 30 riders or so from the front. I was not working any harder than a moderate cruise. When things slowed some and I could glance at my speedometer the speed was about 27 mph. So I figured I would just ride in this group until I sucked down all my water.

There was a major problem. There were certain riders who could maintain the pace for awhile but then they fatigued and got ragged. They did not plan and work their way to the rear so they could slow down. I saw a number of riders ride off the road at 25+ and crash. I heard from a friend who was driving SAG that there were 3 broken collar bones from those incidents.

Even if a ride is a "fun" ride. For a certain number of people, it is a race. I have yet to see an organized ride where there hasn't been that element.

Pat
Old 02-15-11, 11:27 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Trying not to hijack but if you want a crowded ride- London to Brighton in June. 30,000 riders on a 56 mile route and unless you are away before 7 you will be walking up every slope. They have time slots for the start from 6am to 11am and this does even out the riders on the road- till a slope come in and they can become dangerous. The rule is walk on the left leaving those that can ride on the right. As the day progresses- the walkers take up the whole road.

Other than this L to B ride which I do class as dangerous- All of the organised rides are a great experience. Plenty of other riders to meet- plenty of help on the ride and always a target to beat if you are that way inclined.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-15-11, 02:32 PM
Robert Foster
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I may be wrong but I am not sure from some of the comments that everyone gets what TDPS is all about. It is first a charity ride then a social ride and lastly a distance ride. Limit the number of riders and you diminish the ride itself. For many cyclists in Southern California TDPS is what Burning man is to Anarchists/free spirit people. You may not hear the best music at burning man or see the best art or eat the best food but you will be around your own kind of people and feel free to be yourself and accepted. Same thing happens at TDPS. Yes they have problems to work out and we may have to ride with those pesky inexperienced riders, thank goodness I was never inexperienced as a cyclists, but if we are experienced we should be able to overcome these limitations.

I am sorry Pam was knocked down on the ride and am glad she is recovering but I have been knocked down during a club ride by experienced riders and I am not about to give up club rides because of it. I don’t think I will join a smaller club or one that isn’t interested in riding with inexperienced riders. TDPS was more hectic this year than I have seen in the last four years but I believe I will be back next year none the less. IMHO. Besides one of these days I may get to do the whole ride with Metric man you never can tell.
Old 02-15-11, 02:54 PM
pmcq

Bikes: Trek 1.5 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1
I will do this again next year as will my riding partner and the other 14 women in our cycling group who rode this year. We designated charities, had a great time on Friday and Saturday nights in Palm Springs (as well as during the ride), and each finished the distance we chose to do. Robert is right, the TdPS is more than just an organized ride, but as I said earlier, YMMV, and that's ok too.
Old 02-15-11, 03:05 PM
az_cyclist

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am the same way about Tour de Mesa and Tour de Tucson. You just need to be careful at the start, and all the way thru.

I would like to ride Borrego Springs and Palm Springs sometime.

Some friends of mine are riding Camino Real Double Century this weekend. I wish I could join them.
Old 02-15-11, 03:25 PM
skilsaw

Bikes: Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Way to go Pam! You may do many more, but the first one will always be special.
Old 02-15-11, 08:07 PM
Metric Man
Old Fart Racing

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6.9 disc D/A Di2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert Foster
Besides one of these days I may get to do the whole ride with Metric Man you never can tell.
Yer gonna have to pick up the pace a little
Old 02-15-11, 08:24 PM
outwest5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would like to do one eventually. Maybe next year I'll be ready.

Pam, I checked out that womens cycling group of yours. They look like nice people. Maybe in a couple months I will check it out more.
Old 02-15-11, 09:17 PM
Robert Foster
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Metric Man
Yer gonna have to pick up the pace a little
I'll keep working at it.
Old 02-15-11, 09:24 PM
Robert Foster
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pmcq
+1
I will do this again next year as will my riding partner and the other 14 women in our cycling group who rode this year. We designated charities, had a great time on Friday and Saturday nights in Palm Springs (as well as during the ride), and each finished the distance we chose to do. Robert is right, the TdPS is more than just an organized ride, but as I said earlier, YMMV, and that's ok too.
Just a thought but you might consider: https://www.inlandempirecycling.com/HemetDC/ The first 100 is not much harder than PS or if you like the second 100 is a bit more climbing. Only about 400 people and just three Sag Stops but a good century after the TDPS. And then there is San Diego.
Old 02-16-11, 09:04 PM
pmcq

Bikes: Trek 1.5 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As promised, here are the pics from the trip. https://animoto.com/play/vfrwDJFTZJ3CO7YI2c68Wg If I had been able to stand with weight on both legs, I would have taken more pictures. Next year....
Old 02-16-11, 11:31 PM
outwest5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice pictures! Cycling has really exploded over the last ten years in SoCal, which is why there are so many riders at these events. My favorite lbs is very busy. Palm Springs is a charity ride and people like to get on board with those. Cities are building bike trails and marking streets with paths everywhere I look. It is an outcrop of the general fitness craze in the nation. Since SoCal is ridable year around, bicycling becomes an easy hobby for all kinds of people. When I visited my sister in Texas a few months agos I was struck by the lack of bike lanes, trails and lack of riders even though they have plenty of room on their streets.

You should be very proud of your ride, bumps and all.
Old 02-17-11, 07:37 AM
bobthib
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Pam, I read your OP with great excitement as it let me relive my first on 12/5/09 @ 61. I had been riding about 9 months, and looked to BF for advice. That, along with lots of club rides, got me prep'ed.

Despite that, I "bonked" at about 80 mi. and got dropped from my club pace line. I finished none the less with the help of some others that came from behind. As we approached the finish line, by odo read 99.7. That is no way to finish your first century, so I circled the parking lot, and pulled in right on the money.

You did amazingly well, esp for being injured at 22 mi! You go girl!

I hope that I will be able to share a century with my bride of 37 yrs soon. She took up riding about a year ago, but has not been a dedicated as you. She has her own bike, but on a long ride like this we'll take the tandem.
Old 02-17-11, 10:45 AM
az_cyclist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice pics, pmcq!
Old 02-17-11, 11:28 AM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice pics Pam. There is grass out there? Who knew?
Old 02-17-11, 12:15 PM
Metric Man
Old Fart Racing

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6.9 disc D/A Di2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only grass you'll find out there is on the golf courses.
Old 02-17-11, 01:54 PM
Bare Feet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations pmcq on completing your 1st Century!!
So sorry to hear about your injury from getting knocked down. You're at hero status for finishing in that condition What an inspiration I'm so glad your daughter was at the finish line to share your joy. . .very sweet

Originally Posted by stapfam
I do hope you realise that you have set a standard for our "Newer" members- So Lucille and Barefeet- you have a summer to get fit.
pmcq has set the bar very high. First Century within one year of beginning to ride!! And a ride ethic like the mailman. . .."Just keep pedaling!"
Old 02-17-11, 04:56 PM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Metric Man
The only grass you'll find out there is on the golf courses.
Almost. The gated and non-gated communities had very plush curb-side lawns. It's easy when it ain't your water. Borrego Springs was pure desert-scape.
Old 02-17-11, 05:12 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
You will do great. I did not first Century last OCT. I was insecure. Keep a good pace, eat at the rest stops and just keep going. I'm looking forward to pictures of you smiling at the finish.

OOOPPPSss guess i am behind the times. Great job, I knew you could do it, even after you had finished.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 02-18-11, 08:10 AM
az_cyclist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bare Feet
Congratulations pmcq on completing your 1st Century!!
So sorry to hear about your injury from getting knocked down. You're at hero status for finishing in that condition What an inspiration I'm so glad your daughter was at the finish line to share your joy. . .very sweet

pmcq has set the bar very high. First Century within one year of beginning to ride!! And a ride ethic like the mailman. . .."Just keep pedaling!"
Bare Feet, if you can find a friend to ride with you, that might help. It certainly did when I rode my first double century. Other than that, just train, relax, and dont worry about your time. It is also a good idea to ride a supported century for your first one.