Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Soma ES and Double Cross riders

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-11, 03:18 AM
lbear
just going for a ride...

Bikes: LeMond Sarthe, OCR A1, OCR 2, Cypress DX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Before a drop some cash. I am asking opinions. I am leaning toward ES, I want something I can put at least 28mm tires for bad roads not off road. Few trips to the store (some groceries). Mostly to be used for commuting. The bike must be steel. My Lemond has spoiled me.
Which do you ride? Do you like it? What do you like about it? Have you ridden both? Would you buy it again?
Old 02-19-11, 04:02 AM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Have an ES, it's fit and geometry were better for me. Have the steel fork and run 32 mm marathon tires on it. Ride on a lot of dirt/gravel roads, commute with it, ride in a few charity rides and a supported tour - the ride is comfortable, responsive with a good balance of stiffness and forgiveness. I have a crosscheck that is a little more flexible and 520 that is a little stiffer unloaded. LBS built it up with some end of season "shop parts", mostly 105 level components with a 2x9 drive train, a mavic wheel set left over from a trade, plus a few new components I had specified. The steerer tube was very long [350 mm], which i left uncut with a stack of spacers - i fiddled with various heights for a couple of months before setting on a final height - that was great to do. It is painted and looks great - but the frame paint is a little soft, have gotten a few nicks. My partner is interested in a new bike - trying to talk her into one, If something bad happened to mine, would get another.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1010255.jpg (107.9 KB, 144 views)
Old 02-19-11, 10:12 PM
Jim-in-Kirkland

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am happy with my Soma Smoothie ES with steel fork. Use as a commuter & for occasional 20+ mile club ride. Use 25 & 28 mm tires with fenders. Easy fender install under the long reach caliper brakes. In past have ridden a Bianchi Eros & a Lemond Zurich. I like the feel a bike frame with sport geometry.

No experience with the cross check but with its cantilever brakes you could run wider rims/tires if you want to go off trail.

See if you could ride both & then decide.
Old 02-19-11, 11:49 PM
mechBgon

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I got the ES with the carbon Mosaic 57 fork. Older photo, but close enough to show my usual setup, a 2x9 with SKS P35 fenders and up to 700x28s:

Overall, it's OK except for sprinting. The long chainstays aren't good for that. On the other hand, they get my panniers away from my heels a bit.

This bike's stablemate for a long time was a Reynolds 853 race bike, which does fall into the Zurich-ish category. The race bike sprinted much better, having short chainstays. I trained on the Soma a lot since it was cheap to operate and I didn't mind it getting dirty, and with performance tires installed, the Soma wasn't that slow around a race course, maybe 1/2mph slower average speeds. But races are won in the last 200 meters a lot, so it would be a case of bringing a knife to a gunfight to try racing on it.

Anyway, if you didn't need a rear rack on it, you might also consider a regular Smoothie non-ES if you happened to want a more race-capable geometry. I'm thinking you can still get 28's and RaceBlade fenders on there, or maybe Crud Roadracer Mk. II's if you want full coverage. A seatpost rack with a trunk bag would also work there, but panniers would probably be too close to your heels on the non-ES Smoothie.

Sorry for the incoherent rambling, just got back from a somewhat tough XC ride
Old 02-20-11, 01:03 AM
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 50 Posts
I've got the Double Cross DC with the steel fork because I wanted disc brakes. It's my daily commuter loaded up with fenders, rack and panniers. It's also my tour bike - I've done a couple of week-long tours on it. I can pull the rack/fenders off and it rides like a different bike - I've ridden it on multiple centuries and a double century. It's the only road bike I own because I also own three mountain bikes and the wife thinks that five bikes is too many (I disagree but that does not seem to matter).

I think it's a great bike, very versitile, and would buy another one in a heartbeat.
Old 02-22-11, 02:09 PM
lbear
just going for a ride...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was hoping to hear from someone that had ridden both. Is a real pain to find them built-up, to test out.
With the Mosaic 57 on the ES are 28's the largest tire you can put on.
Old 02-22-11, 09:01 PM
Commodus

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I ride an ES, never been on a DC. I'm not sure why you're stuck on these, I don't think there's any reason to buy a DC if you're not going off-road or into cross.

I'm really happy with mine, it's a very comfortable bike and feels speedy without being nervous. I have to echo what a previous poster said about trouble sprinting. It just doesn't have that snap when you really stand on it. It's a century bike, and a very good one. I do notice that it likes a rear load better than a front one, worth noting if you like a handlebar bag like I do.

Here's a shot of mine just after I built it up. Ultegra with Ksyrium Equipes, FSA cockpit.

Old 02-22-11, 09:02 PM
Commodus

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mechBgon
I got the ES with the carbon Mosaic 57 fork. Older photo, but close enough to show my usual setup, a 2x9 with SKS P35 fenders and up to 700x28s:
Nice bike!
Old 02-22-11, 09:52 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 236 Posts
I have a double cross I set up/ 35mm Nokian studded tires. I like that you can use a wide range of tire sizes and fenders with no problem. I also set mine up w/ a BB7 disc brake in the front.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-22-11, 10:18 PM
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Commodus
I'm not sure why you're stuck on these, I don't think there's any reason to buy a DC if you're not going off-road or into cross.
One more reason: Disc Brakes
Old 02-22-11, 10:39 PM
Commodus

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by woodway
One more reason: Disc Brakes
Ah...right. That's a good reason.
Old 02-22-11, 10:47 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3428 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,928 Posts
Here is my Soma Double Cross when it was first built as a 3x9: https://www.dim.com/~ryoder/SomaPhotos/IMGP0014.jpg

It now is a 3x10 and has lights added, and different saddle.
The tires are 32mm Marathon Supremes.
It is my foul-weather/night/light-touring bike.
Old 02-23-11, 05:54 PM
Catgrrl70

Bikes: noyb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ditto all the above regaring the Soma ES. I've had mine for three years now and will not get rid of it. I get teary even thinking about it getting stolen. No one could love my bike more. It's a wonderful commuter, like others said, it's not a sprinter, but it's entirely reliable and takes heavy loads with ease. Completely stable and I can easily balance and manoeuver in a variety of situations.
Old 03-22-11, 12:00 PM
lbear
just going for a ride...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went with the Double cross.
Here it is......
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...d-!?highlight=
Old 03-22-11, 12:39 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by martianone
Have an ES, it's fit and geometry were better for me. Have the steel fork and run 32 mm marathon tires on it.
Hey, I didnt realize you could fit 700x32s on the ES. Is there room for fenders as well with 32s on it?
Old 03-22-11, 12:53 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by mechBgon
I got the ES with the carbon Mosaic 57 fork. Older photo, but close enough to show my usual setup, a 2x9 with SKS P35 fenders and up to 700x28s

Overall, it's OK except for sprinting. The long chainstays aren't good for that. On the other hand, they get my panniers away from my heels a bit.

This bike's stablemate for a long time was a Reynolds 853 race bike, which does fall into the Zurich-ish category. The race bike sprinted much better, having short chainstays. I trained on the Soma a lot since it was cheap to operate and I didn't mind it getting dirty, and with performance tires installed, the Soma wasn't that slow around a race course, maybe 1/2mph slower average speeds. But races are won in the last 200 meters a lot, so it would be a case of bringing a knife to a gunfight to try racing on it.

Anyway, if you didn't need a rear rack on it, you might also consider a regular Smoothie non-ES if you happened to want a more race-capable geometry. I'm thinking you can still get 28's and RaceBlade fenders on there, or maybe Crud Roadracer Mk. II's if you want full coverage. A seatpost rack with a trunk bag would also work there, but panniers would probably be too close to your heels on the non-ES Smoothie.

Sorry for the incoherent rambling, just got back from a somewhat tough XC ride
^this,

I have the Double Cross DC and love the bike. The ES and regular Smoothie should also be considered, it would be hard to go wrong with any of these.

The Double Cross DC will be the most versatile. You can run disc brakes and 700x35 studded tires with fenders. That would be impossible on the ES or Smoothie. The Double Cross is very comfortable, rides like a dream, and can carry 20 lbs on a rear rack without feeling out-of-balance.

The ES should be as comfortable and might carry a load better. However, 700x28 with fenders just barely fit under the long reach brakes. Larger tires won’t fit if you are using fenders.

The regular Smoothie would make a great fitness and fast ride bike, but will struggle with any more than a 10 lbs load. Tire and fender clearance will be very tight. But if your commute is dry and you don’t carry a load, this bike will be fun & fast.