Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southwest
Reload this Page >

Moving to Phoenix, looking for school district information/good areas to live.

Search
Notices
Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Nevada

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-11, 08:36 PM
tenkerman

Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts

I'm transferring to Phoenix and hope to have the move completed by the start of the school year. i have 3 kids, 10 and under, so our first priority is to find a good school district and then find a decent rental house in the district. My office will be right where the 17 crosses the Arizona Canal, near the MetroCenter Mall. We are looking to live in the Glendale/Peoria area so that I won't have an obscene commute. Any locals care to shed some light on the subject? Great areas and places to completely avoid?
Old 03-06-11, 07:27 PM
beatlebee 

Bikes: i may have bike(s)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I am biased, but look up BASIS schools.
I work for them in Tucson teaching physics.
Old 03-06-11, 10:46 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
I grew up in Phoenix and love the Southwest, hope you will as well. I would try to live as far north of Metro Center as you can. The outskirts north have nice new facilities and housing is pretty affordable, I think. My little brother teaches at Greenway High School and thinks the schools in that area are good quality.

Metro Center was the tops of the Phoenix Union district in the 60s-90s but not so much now. I think the areas between Greenway and thuderbird would be a decent commute and newer schools with a good vision and activities.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 03-07-11, 12:31 PM
96_xj

Bikes: 07 Quintana Roo Lucero Lite 99 Bianchi B.A.S.S. 05 BPStealth 09 Giant Trance X2-with a few upgrades 09 Republic Fixed gear 89 Specialized S-works 08 Giant Anthem Advanced(carbon frame) 07 Titus RacerX Carbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I lived in Gilbert. My mom works for Higley school district. I loved it there, great elementry schools, great high schools. well funded and not to big to have your "clicks" just real everyone hangs out with whoever feel.

the town is growing and is close to everything and has alot to offer, but for how big it is (and its big) it doesnt feel like a big town what so ever
Old 03-07-11, 04:15 PM
Greensystemsgo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
further northwest you go from that location the better. AZCentral.com generally has the latest school ratings, but they seem to be down for me right now.
Old 03-11-11, 10:17 AM
JRonaTrek

Bikes: 2019 TREK Emonda SL5 and Madone SLR 6

Liked 31 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Daspydyr
I grew up in Phoenix and love the Southwest, hope you will as well. I would try to live as far north of Metro Center as you can. The outskirts north have nice new facilities and housing is pretty affordable, I think. My little brother teaches at Greenway High School and thinks the schools in that area are good quality.

Metro Center was the tops of the Phoenix Union district in the 60s-90s but not so much now. I think the areas between Greenway and thuderbird would be a decent commute and newer schools with a good vision and activities.
Metro Center is not that bad, actually, its the reputation that it developed 10 years back, One of my clients is Castles N' Coasters, the theme park there at Metro Center, and you have no idea how much they've had to deal with "Ghetto Center" or whatever you want to call it. The mall is safe, the area is safe, and those businesses around that area are working HARD to change that image.

#1 school District is on 16th Street South of Bethany Home Road, that is a good neighborhood, and my son goes to that school, its a great school. Also a school that has really gone above and beyond to change its reputation. Good Luck.
Old 03-15-11, 02:38 AM
kf9yr

Bikes: 2011 Serotta Ottrott, Serotta TI Road Bike, Serotta TI MTB,Ritchey Breakaway Ti Cross, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Cannondale Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I moved to AZ from Wisconsin in 2006. My kids are now 11 and 13. I've been pleasantly surprised with the schools and teachers after all the doom and gloom I heard from others. My children went to private school in WI and are now in public school but the advanced classes are challenging and the teachers/administrators have been very friendly and open. A lot of them live in my neighborhood and have kids that go to the local school. We're in the Deer Valley District 97. My kids go to Sunset Ridge elementary (K-8) and my son will be going to Boulder Creek in Anthem for High School next year.

The kids also felt right at home after the move. There are LOTS of people that are relative newcomers so the kids fit in quickly and made lots of friends. Our little town in WI was very different as most of the kids had known each other since preschool. Great for our kids but not as easy for newcomers...

I live right at I-17 and Carefree Hwy (about 20 minutes north of MetroCenter during rush hour morning commute). My business is at Deer Valley Rd (5 or so miles north of MC) but I have a friend that has a business at MC. His customers are a little less affulent than mine but still are good people.

There are some great home deals in the North Valley right now. Homes are about 1/2 their 2006 prices. There are quite a few rental homes available as some people have taken advantage of the low prices and foreclosures to pick up rental homes.

Good Luck with your move...