Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Tracklocross Rigs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-11, 07:26 PM
mickey_
So tragically hip.

Bikes: 2009 SE Premium Brew, 2001 GT Interceptor, 2010 Motobecane Fantom 29

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tracklocross Rigs?

Wondering if any of you cyclocross guys ride fixed gear and/or frames with track geometry. I recently put some cross tires on my track bike in an effort to make it more versatile, but I've never ridden on a cyclocross track. Any of you guys do this same thing in races with any degree of success?
Old 03-07-11, 09:10 PM
TimJ

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've seen people do it.
Old 03-08-11, 03:30 AM
kyttyra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A few weeks ago, I did some singletrack with my Cinelli:

After I flipped the stem to positive angle, the driving position was almost the same as in my fixed Tricross, and Vigorelli has quite slack angles for a track frame too. 48/20 gearing was a "little" bit steep, but in theory, the Vigorellocross should have worked. In practice...well, at least it was lighter to carry on my shoulder than the Tricross. In snow-packed bike lanes it was positively fast, though.

Last edited by kyttyra; 03-08-11 at 03:36 AM.
Old 03-08-11, 05:57 AM
meanwhile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There should be some relevant stuff here:

www.63xc.com/

I've ridden single speed offroad but not fixed. And even that experience taught me that those weird and oversize handlebars single/fixed riders play with are not an affectation - the extra leverage for stability when in the "wrong" gear is extremely useful.
Old 03-10-11, 11:59 AM
scattered73
Justin

Bikes: Soma Double Cross, KHS Urban Uno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have taken my urban uno with and put cross tires on it taken on one of the local cross courses when nobody else was there and ran a few laps ss and a few laps fixed. It was really fun and did much better than I thought. I really like the feedback fixed provided in the mud, though I could never get a smooth dismount down I am sure it is possible but I just couldn't get it down. Would I race it ss or fixed sure only reason I haven't tried is I don't drive so only one bike goes to the race and I have taken my geared bike.
I have also taken the same bike on the mtb trails fixed this went bad enough that I will not attempt this again.
Old 03-10-11, 12:12 PM
flargle

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AFAIK there's no rule against using a fixed gear but the USAC rules (and common sense) require brakes front and rear.