Notices
Southern California Southern California

LA to Santa Barbara

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-11, 07:26 PM
wcoastbikr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LA to Santa Barbara

So three friends and I are planning on going to Santa Barbara from the LA area during our spring break. This is a route from google maps that I found.

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...7&z=9&lci=bike

I've done some routes through google maps before and to be honest it's taken me through some sketchy roads before. The farthest I've been up the coast has been to Point Magu. After that I'm not that familiar with the area. If anyone that's done the trip could take a look over that route and tell me if it's good or change a few things and post a link up of the changed route that would be great.

Thanks!

Last edited by wcoastbikr; 03-25-11 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-25-11, 07:46 PM
rooftest
Despite all my rage, I am

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Colnago C-50

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've done this ride a few times, and that route looks good to me. Near the Navy Base, we always take Naval Air Road (parallel to the 1 on the base side) to Hueneme. The roads are pretty deserted around there, and riding past the sod farms is pretty cool.
Old 03-25-11, 10:53 PM
wcoastbikr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice! I wasn't sure if we could ride through some of those roads since they seem like they're part of the base. Could I kindly ask you to modify the route of the link with the route you recommend taking? Just a simple click and drag of the blue line and it will re map the route. Then in the top right of the page click "link", then copy "Paste link in email or IM" on here.

Thanks a bunch!

Last edited by wcoastbikr; 03-25-11 at 11:10 PM.
Old 03-26-11, 08:46 AM
LawnChair

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are probably already aware, but a section of this ride puts you on the 101 HWY for awhile. At some point you exit the 101 and then get back on at the very next on ramp. You ride a short distance and then exit for good. After you exit turn left and then right at the first road.

Another thing to watch out for is when you turn off of Main Street in Ventura you make a left into a camp ground. You will see the beginning of a bike path on the north end. Take this bike path and it will put you onto HWY 1. Keep riding straight on until you come onto the 101.

Last edited by LawnChair; 03-26-11 at 08:58 AM.
Old 03-26-11, 03:22 PM
rooftest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After 3 attempts at changing the route on your google link, I gave up. If you zoom in on the Naval base, you'll be able to see the side road I mentioned.
Old 03-26-11, 05:25 PM
Rip Van Winkle
Formerly Gordo Grande

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've done this ride many times, and it's very enjoyable. Turn left after Point Mugu and take Navalair road. There is a small park on the way where some of the missiles and jets from America's past are on display--it's pretty impressive.
Old 03-26-11, 08:05 PM
Rob P.
Fred at large

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your route is fine until you get to Pt. Mugu. Where you exit at Las Posas Rd, instead of turning right, turn LEFT and go over the freeway. Turn right on Navalair Rd and follow it to Hueneme Rd. Turn left on Hueneme Rd and follow it until you get to VENTURA RD. Turn RIGHT on Ventura Rd and go north until you get to CHANNEL ISLANDS BLVD.

Turn LEFT on Channel Island Blvd. Channel Islands Blvd automatically turns into HARBOR BLVD after the bridge over the harbor. Continue on HARBOR BLVD until you get to Penninsula Rd. There's a light here and there isn't one at Oyster. LEFT on Penninsula to Pierpont. (BTW, if you turn left on pierpont there's a nifty little park about 100 ft or so back up the Rd where you can take a break if you want to.)

You look like you have the route mapped correctly through Ventura and onto the bike path at the end of Main Street. You may want to change the route though. As you have mapped it, you will be riding on "the boardwalk" where there is a lot of pedestrian traffic. VERY slow going. Rather than take that way, once you pass under the wooden pier, get up onto Harbor blvd (it's on your right). Follow Harbor until you get to the fairgrounds. Turn LEFT on Figuroa (no stop for cross traffic) and follow it to the end. At the end of Figuroa pick up the bike path again.

You also look good from Ventura to Carpinteria. But, once you finish the climb on Bates Rd and turn left on Rincon Rd (Hwy 150) stay on 150 until you cross Hwy 101. Cross Hwy 101 and turn RIGHT on Carpinteria Ave. Carpinteria Ave to Santa Ynez. RIGHT on Santa Ynez & LEFT after the bridge over Hwy 101 onto Via Real.

Your mapped route on Via Real is fine until you get to Ortega Hill Rd. At Ortega Hill Rd, you have a choice to either just follow Ortega Hill or take the bike path you have mapped. Ortega Hill is a short stiff climb with an equally short stiff downhill on the other side. Your choice, but going up over the hill is fun if you have any legs left.

You route after Ortega HIll is fine until you get to Coast Village Rd. Don't take Coast Village Circle - it's just access to employee parking and dumpsters. Noisy and P.U. for the most part. Just stay on Coast Village Rd - wide shoulders and slow traffic.

The circle at the intersection of Coast Village Rd and Hot Spring/Cabrillo is a PITA!!! It's small and somewhat dangerous and traffic will not yield for you. Narrow shoulders and crazy drivers. Be careful. Cabrillo is the UNDERPASS.

Once on Cabrillo, stay on it. Don't bother going up State St - boring with TONS of traffic, pedestrians, choking exhaust fumes, and signals. Cabrillo turns into Shoreline Dr. Continue on Shoreline until it curves up and intersects with Cliff Dr. LEFT on Cliff Dr. to Las Positas Rd. Right on Las Positas (lots of trash and rocks) until you get to Modoc. Left on Modoc and the rest of your route to UCSB is fine.

I have ridden ALL of this route many many many times so I know it's do-able. An alternative is to skip Cabrillo and turn on Old Coast Hwy. Turn Right on Salinas and go uphill. Take Alameda Padre Serra (what a climb! but the views are worth it) to Mission Canyon. Right on Mission Canyon to Puesta Del Sol (Santa Barbara Museum of natural History turnoff). Puesta Del Sol goes around the corner at the museum parking lot then through a residential area to Calle Noguera. Calle Noguera connects with Calle Alamo. Continue to Las Positas. Left down Las Positas to Modoc turn right and continue as mapped.

Last edited by Rob P.; 03-26-11 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-30-11, 04:46 PM
wcoastbikr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you sooo much for the help!

I've made the changes to the route that you recommended except for the stuff around pt.mugu, for some reason google maps won't let me exit Las Posas...I'll just have to remember the route or write it down. I'm pretty familiar with hotsprings and the circle which I've done a few times when I've been riding in Santa Barbara, it is a quick sprint to get through it. I also changed the final destination in the map. We're going to be staying at the Holiday Inn. Could you give it a once over for the last bit that I changed?

Thanks again!

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...&z=13&lci=bike
Old 03-30-11, 07:28 PM
Rob P.
Fred at large

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From Mugu to SB you look fine. Don't worry about the map not being able to be changed to let you exit at Las Posas. Las Posas is the only way you can exit. Just keep going up the hwy until you hit the ramp and exit. Jump over the hwy and take the frontage rd. Simple.

Hueneme Rd is long, boring, and has trash covered shoulders. And, it's directly into the wind in the afternoon. I hate riding this stretch. The pavement work makes it worse.

You may still want to go around Crowne Plaza Hotel/park. It's a ZOO when people are out walking on the promenade and they do not watch what they are doing or where they are going. Baby strollers are the worst hazzard, then dogs, then wave rats (vermin of the sea) with their boards and wetsuits, then the panhandlers.

If you've never done this route, once you get past the fairgrounds, stay on the bike path instead of crossing onto Main Street proper. The bike path parallels Main St on the ocean side of the road for 2-way traffic. It will take you directly where you need to go once you get to the end of Main St. Otherwise you could flounder around looking for the entrance to the bike trail that goes along the beach. DO NOT TAKE THE FREEWAY RAMP. Death and destruction await if you do.

Take a side trip at Padaro Ln. It's quiet and worth the small detour. Of course you don't get to stop and watch the polo match during polo season if you go this way, but...

If you've not taken the bike path around Ortega Hill before, the path starts just after the onramp in Summerland. There's a crosswalk just past the "big yellow house" restaurant (now closed and derilict) which leads to the pathway.

Stay on shoreline until it ends at Cliff Dr. It's a better ride with pretty views and the traffic isn't as fast. Plus, Cliff Dr between La Marina and Shoreline has almost no shoulder to ride on. You'll be in the traffic lanes and traffic usually doesn't yield for bikes (too busy yakking on cell phones to care I guess).

Your route through Hope Ranch won't work. Many of the roads in there are blocked and/or are gravel. Skip it and take Las Positas to Modoc to Hollister. Alternatively, because of where your hotel is, take Las Positas over the freeway and turn left on Calle Real and just follow Calle Real to your hotel.

Most of all, enjoy yourself. The route has some of the best scenery in so cal.
Old 03-31-11, 12:10 AM
wcoastbikr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I think this may be the final revision:

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...7&z=9&lci=bike

I couldn't modify the map for the portion through Naval Air Rd. or the portion through the fairgrounds but I'll take note of those sections. All that I really changed was skipping the portion through Hope Ranch and continuing through Shoreline Dr.

We're going to be leaving at around 7AM and need to get there at 6PM at the latest for the conference registration. Think that's plenty of time at a moderate/cruising pace? Google maps says roughly 10 hours.
Old 03-31-11, 03:59 PM
Rob P.
Fred at large

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Google says roughly 10 1/3 hours without stops. A bit over 11 mph average speed.

Flats, wind, hills, food, potty breaks, etc will slow you down even more. Leaving at 7 gives you only a 40 minute window in the event you get stalled somewhere. Unless you've done a century at better than* 11 mph average pace I'd say you need to leave earlier.

*Better than because a century is supported and this ride is not.
Old 03-31-11, 08:44 PM
rooftest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You shouldn't have a problem making it in time if you're leaving at 7AM.
Old 03-31-11, 10:31 PM
wcoastbikr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tomorrow's the big day...we're going to leave at 6AM just to be on the safe side. I'm sure 7AM would be fine and we'd be able to keep a 10mph pace at least if we share the load. I'd like to thank you all again for the help. I'm off to bed.

Wish us luck!
Old 04-04-11, 12:51 PM
Rob P.
Fred at large

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well...?

WELL...**********?

There ain't that many cliffs to fall off of on this route, so where's the ride report?
Old 04-05-11, 06:48 PM
wcoastbikr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry for the late response...the ride was great!

Took us a little over 10 hours, our new rider was definitely hurting at the end of the ride because he didn't bring enough food...even though we told him to. But for his second time ever riding a bike and doing 120 miles he did pretty darn good. Distance came out to 119.89miles. The ride was gorgeous, your route was great. The only part that we did different was when we got to Santa Barbara, we went through State St. and a few other side streets just for the heck of it. Another small issue was the bike path at the fairgrounds had construction and it was all sand. I tried riding through it and ended up hitting some deep sand and ended up sort of tipping over.
Old 04-05-11, 10:16 PM
rallison

Bikes: Scattante R-560 w/ Velocity Deep V rims

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wcoastbikr
But for his second time ever riding a bike and doing 120 miles he did pretty darn good.
Impressive.
Old 10-20-12, 12:18 AM
hmarks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rallison
Impressive.
Well, let's see here, my first time riding a bike I rode around the block a few times, just kinda getting my balance, getting a feel for things. My 2nd ride I did 120 miles!
Old 10-20-12, 01:45 PM
Ns1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I once drove to SB on the 101 freeway and saw a couple in touring gear riding a tandem somewhere around Oxnard. I remembered commenting to myself "hardcore".

We got to SB and played around downtown for a while. A few hours later, as we're driving around to leave, I see the same tandem bike circling downtown SB. I was very, very impressed.

If that is you, mysterious riders on tandem bike on 101N, respect++