Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Rattle, Rattle, Rattle == Drives Me Crazy

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-11, 09:26 PM
flippinsweet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I got a Sirrus Sport this winter. Added new water bottle holders, rack, paniers and fenders. When I commute to work every time I hit the smallest bump something rattles around and I cannot seem to pinpoint the problem. I need suggestions on what is the likely problem and perhaps some steps to figure out what the heck it is.

My other bike had a small rattle in it, and I finally figured out it was a small piece of weld slag that was stuck in my top tube. I had to take the whole head apart to get it out.
Old 03-31-11, 08:05 AM
truman
It's true, man.

Bikes: Cannondale T1000, Inbred SS 29er, Supercaliber 29er, Crescent Mark XX, Burley Rumba Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just repeatedly pick up my bike and drop it to make it rattle, then repeat the process till I locate the area it's coming from. At that point, I'll start holding things like the rack or fender while I drop it to see if it stops. Once I make it stop, I figure out what I need to do to permanently stop it.

Once, took out my friend's handlebar plug and put an 8 mm nut in there, then replaced the plug. Took him weeks to find it.
Old 03-31-11, 08:19 AM
EKW in DC

Bikes: Trek 830 Mountain Track Drop bar conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sure you already checked but just in case... I've had similar before and both times it proved to be a loose nut/bolt attaching a rack so they rattled when I hit a bump, even though I feared it was something mechanical. My bike at the time was always having issues.

Truman's method seems like a good way of trying to isolate the sound. My approach was less scientific. BTW Truman - cruel joke to play on your friend.
Old 03-31-11, 08:46 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Any time you thread anything into a bike you need to grease the threads generously and make sure they are fully engaged.
Old 03-31-11, 08:48 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

My two most recent rattles were a brake cable (after loosening/rewinding bar-tape) and my left crank (dust cap came off crank bolt so everytime it rains more than half an inch a day, which has been at least weekly for a while now, all the grease washes out and I need to regrease it)
Old 03-31-11, 08:53 AM
I_like_cereal
Fail Boat crewman

Bikes: Reynolds 853 Jamis Quest 1990s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take off the most likely culprit. The rack and fenders. Recheck and reassemble. Failing that I like Truman's method.
Old 03-31-11, 09:25 AM
Yan 

Liked 702 Times in 481 Posts
Check your fenders.
Old 03-31-11, 09:30 AM
AltheCyclist

Bikes: Many

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If nothing obvious is loose, try a little 3-1 oil between the spokes (where they touch). They will sometime produce a "rattle" but need weight on them.
Old 03-31-11, 09:42 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Liked 4,107 Times in 1,523 Posts
Originally Posted by I_like_cereal
Take off the most likely culprit. The rack and fenders. Recheck and reassemble. Failing that I like Truman's method.
+1

I once had a rattle where the plastic clip that holds the rear fender to the bridge between the seat stays was just a little loose. I fixed it by putting a piece of old tube between the clip and fender.
Old 03-31-11, 10:02 AM
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by truman
Once, took out my friend's handlebar plug and put an 8 mm nut in there, then replaced the plug. Took him weeks to find it.
I'm glad I'm not your friend.
Old 03-31-11, 10:23 AM
AltheCyclist

Bikes: Many

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dcrowell
I'm glad I'm not your friend.
That is pretty harsh! Reminds me of old SNL skit where the prankster took of those musical chips out of a greeting card and slipped it into a small hole in his buddy's coat - the coat was emitting musical "happy birthday" whenever he moved, driving him crazy of course ..
Old 03-31-11, 01:00 PM
RichardGlover
2nd Amendment Cyclist

Bikes: Schwinn 2010 World Street, Handsome Speedy w/ SRAM Apex

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AltheCyclist
That is pretty harsh! Reminds me of old SNL skit where the prankster took of those musical chips out of a greeting card and slipped it into a small hole in his buddy's coat - the coat was emitting musical "happy birthday" whenever he moved, driving him crazy of course ..
Pfft.

Amateurs.

https://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/b278/
Old 03-31-11, 01:08 PM
Koa C.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On my old bike i had a rattle when the back wheel fender support would rattle against the rear rack support. The way it was set up, the fender support bar was touching the rear rack support and every time the fender would shake it would rattle. This would happen on every little bump because the fender would shake very easily. I fixed it by wrapping a piece of old inner tube around the rack post in between where they touched. Hope this helps...
Old 03-31-11, 02:34 PM
Fenway

Bikes: 1983 Peugeot UO14, KHS Green-Heavily modified, 1972 Raleigh Sprite 27" (work in progress)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One thing I would suggest is going to a hardware store and buying neoprene rubber washers. When placed at various attachment points they'll act as shock absorbers and eliminate a lot of rattling. If you search around the forum you'll see plenty of pictures of racks and fenders utilizing leather washers, the neoprene ones work just as well.
Old 03-31-11, 03:50 PM
L.L. Zamenhof

Bikes: Rampar R-One

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm experiencing a major rattle with the rear fender. There isn't enough clearance to put their little bracket on the fender, so it's just sitting there loose. So every time I go over a bump, it rattles. Severity depends on street. Sometimes it's silent for miles, other times it's chattering constantly.

Koa C. just gave me the idea of putting a piece of foam tape on the contact point. That should be enough to shut it up.
Old 03-31-11, 05:10 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I always get rattles from the adjustable rack mounting tabs at the seatstay. The excess length under the rack platform rattles against the platform with every little bump in the road. I bend them down toward the fender after sizing everything up and getting it all mounted right.
Old 03-31-11, 08:31 PM
MVclyde

Bikes: Seven Axiom S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
True story.......I had a rattle last week that I couldn't pinpoint. Then I hit a patch of ice on Friday and crashed. The rattle went away after the crash so my recommendation is to crash your bike.

Actually, now that I think about it, it was more of a squeak.....never mind......
Old 04-01-11, 10:27 AM
GRedner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Presta valves? I sometimes get a hard-to-localize rattle if the little threaded washers on the valve stem come loose.
Old 04-01-11, 10:39 AM
Wilbur Bud

Bikes: Longbikes Slipstream

Liked 38 Times in 31 Posts
Mine was the J-hook at the bottom of the panniers bouncing against the rack mount notch, and I put one of those squishy hollow cylinders from a ball point pen on the long-tall part of the J and now it compresses against the rack without the rattle.ANy tubing would do, but the pen parts seem to live the longest before replacement.
Old 04-02-11, 11:27 AM
flippinsweet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the tips. I checked all my bolts on the racks and fenders, all were nice an tight. I did put removable lock-tight on them, so that was not it. I resorted to dropping it in the garage until I figured it out. The problem is the internal wiring of the rear break. This years model of the Sirrus has the cabling jump into the top tube near the head, and out by the seat post.

So my question now it what the heck can I do to fix it? I don't know if more tension is the answer, or if there are other cool tips? Thoughts?
Old 04-02-11, 06:21 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

more tension; never want any hint of slack in rear brake cable