Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Mountain Biking Trail App

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-11, 08:19 AM
TexasRush

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys,
I'm a college graphic design student and avid mountain biker in Texas. I'm current in a web/interactive design course and for our current project we are using mobile platform. I'm designing an iPhone/iTouch/iPad app to help bikers find nearby trails and evaluate trails before they head out for the day or plan a biking trip. The initial functionality I thought to include is:
-trail location (using iOS maps functionality)
-trail search (by name, zip code, city, ect...)
-trail maps (with GPS and "find quickest route to parking lot" function)
-user uploaded pictures and video
-rating system with user generatedtheis reviews
-trail difficulty (in ski slope system - green, blue, black, double black)
-in app 911 emergency services
-events (races, fun rides, etc...)

As of right now I don't plan to include any ride tracking like cyclemeter and other apps already do so well, but I might possibly include functionality to post a ride time so users can see how other riders have been doing on the trail.

Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated! It is important for designers to communicate with the end user (in this case the mountain bike community) because everyone has different needs when using an app. Feel free to shoot down any part of my current plan, or suggest any added functionality you would want personally.

Actually, I need at least 10 suggestions or feedback for the project so even just a few words would be great!

Thanks in advance,
Scott
Old 04-06-11, 08:21 AM
somegeek
Harumph

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1) Get a droid.
2) see #1
Old 04-06-11, 08:32 AM
Bikernator
Below Par

Bikes: '13 Trek Stache 8; '08 Giant Rincon

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 'quickest route back to parking lot' thing is a good idea, though if the quickest route is through double blacks can someone route around that? Even walking a double black with, say, a broken collarbone would not be ideal.

I've never used any of the ride tracking apps for trails or anything, but if this app could interact with another so that you didn't have to run two apps for each ride I think it would be beneficial.

A local site mentions how quickly trails dry-out after rain, which is very useful. This would be perhaps even more speculative than the ride difficulty, though.

How busy the trails typically are is another thing to consider.

At least these are things I wish I knew every time I headed out. Good luck.