Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Why did you start riding fixed?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Why did you start riding fixed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-11, 11:58 PM
macnab

Bikes: Litton, Gunnar, Iro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My commute was short, and I wanted more workout. Peeps told me it was fun. It is fun, and I get more workout.

WINNING!
Old 04-20-11, 12:00 AM
macnab

Bikes: Litton, Gunnar, Iro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by leed
It was to my understanding that if you bring your heart rate up too much (enter the anaerobic stage of exercise) your energy source moves to carbs instead of fats as in aerobic. Assuming there is a diet to go alongside this exercise, it would seem as though this would be counterproductive. Granted, this is provided my limited knowledge of physical training.. So I am only asking to further/make changes to said knowledge.

As for fixed.. I started on a singlespeed, at one point in time my freewheel went ka-boom, and I had to ride fixed until I could get a new one. I ended up hating the freewheel because of the pawls and stayed fixed.
The idea is to spin, but keep it aerobic. You go anaerobic when you have to stand up and mash.
Old 04-20-11, 12:13 AM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by leed
It was to my understanding that if you bring your heart rate up too much (enter the anaerobic stage of exercise) your energy source moves to carbs instead of fats as in aerobic. Assuming there is a diet to go alongside this exercise, it would seem as though this would be counterproductive. Granted, this is provided my limited knowledge of physical training.. So I am only asking to further/make changes to said knowledge.
\
I'm no expert either but that's not how it works. Your body moves to fat for energy after you have exhausted your energy reserves of glycogen -made from eating carbs. This is commonly called "hitting the wall" or "bonking" - exhausting your glycogen- and working through it to begin metabolizing fat. This all happens in endurance exercise. -- the goal is to increase lactic acid threshold to be able to go harder without the burn (more oxygen)--

Anaerobic(without oxygen) exercise is power lifting and sprinting or other such short duration work. --lots of burning lactic acid--

but let's not turn this thread into some fitness science debate

Last edited by hairnet; 04-20-11 at 12:25 AM.
Old 04-20-11, 12:31 AM
LupinIII

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
found a bike in the garbage, thought the hub or derailleur was shot (turns out the freewheel was gummed up, but i didn't figure that out til about a year after it got stolen). took apart the rear hub bearings to regrease it because i thought that would fix it. lost bearings, gave up, and bought a fixed rear hub and rebuilt the wheel.

ended up really liking the finished product, despite bouts of pedal strike induced crashes. that bike ended up getting stolen, so i built another. and another. and another...
Old 04-20-11, 12:36 AM
alaska
and an empty road

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

this thread is depressing.
Old 04-20-11, 03:12 AM
punk078910

Bikes: modified Tommaso Ninja Pro , Fly Tierra 3 custom bmx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a single speed with flip flop hub and saw all the cool cats riding fg so i figured i give it a shot.
I love the ride of a fg now, would never turn back
Old 04-20-11, 04:13 AM
bleedingapple

Bikes: Leader 722TS, Surly Cross Check, GT Outpost, Haro Z16, Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cheapest build option after my road bike was stolen, friend sold me the rear wheel cheap. Was also recommended I at least give it a shot by same friend and several others...
Old 04-20-11, 04:38 AM
Dcv

Bikes: Cinelli Mash, Scott CR1 Pro conversion, LeMond Zurich, Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I thought it was cool that bike messengers rode fixed and wanted to try. Also wanted a bike that was slower / more of a challenge to ride with my son, it felt like overkill riding a 27 gear road bike w a 5 year old on a single speed bmx.
Old 04-20-11, 05:27 AM
cinemattic
Business Man

Bikes: Cannondale Supersix Evo Hi-Mod, Soma Rush

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i recently got back into cycling with an old raleigh grand prix. started riding with some friends who had fixed gears. never really thought about it till one day i tried to hop on one of their bikes and well, it was pretty different i have to say. later on down the line, a friend of mine was thinking about buying a singlespeed, and she showed me the website. thought i twas a pretty good looking bike, and bought one as well. low and behold, it had a flip flop hub. everything started evolving from there...
Old 04-20-11, 05:55 AM
EdIsMe

Bikes: 2011 Neuvation FC100, 2013 Mercier Kilo TT Pro, 1984 Peugeot SV-L

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had a K2 full susp, dual disc mtb 24-speed with road tires and 1000's of miles on it (nearly 40lbs of bike). I bought it before I knew anything about bike fit and ended up several sizes too big. Sold it and bought my FG off of BD... loving it so far.
Need to get in shape as I'm starting fire rescue training this summer and I was told FG is what a lot of pro cyclist train on. I hate running and I hate the gym, but I love riding my bike.
Old 04-20-11, 06:39 AM
Cjzoller

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
To get faster on my road bike..
Old 04-20-11, 07:38 AM
Aloe

Bikes: Benotto Frankencycle and Peugeot U08

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My old Simplex derailleur took a crap and wasn't shifting properly, and I had no idea how to fix it, so I bought a hub, cog, and lock-ring, and threw it on.
Old 04-20-11, 07:57 AM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
I tried it, and fell in love with the simplicity.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 04-20-11, 08:06 AM
thisisbenji

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Specialized Crux, Specialized Carve

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This is why I got one, I found sprinting on my fixed gear really helped my sprinting on my road bike. I'm also more comfortable at lower cadences now than I used to be.

Originally Posted by Cjzoller
To get faster on my road bike..
Old 04-20-11, 08:27 AM
vw addict

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, Cannondale R700, Specialized Langster, Iron Horse Hollowpoint Team, Schwinn Homegrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bought a Langster for a singlespeed commuter, built it up fixed day one just to "try" it, took off rear wheel and removed freewheel from non-drive side and tossed into parts bin.
Old 04-20-11, 08:31 AM
Oramas
don't door me bro!

Bikes: EAI Bareknuckle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
besides riding fixed being a requirement to live in my Brooklyn hood, I think the aesthetic of fixed gear bikes are appealing and the resulting leg strength is also a nice perk.
Old 04-20-11, 08:33 AM
ianjk
:)

Bikes: '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Was biking 25 miles a day for school on my geared commuter mountain bike, it started to suck when it got below 10F or so, the sand/salt/snow mixture boogered up brakes and derraileurs.

In the spring, I got an old frame, welded up a ghetto hub and tried it out, liked the way it felt, so that next fall/winter, I had a proper wheel built up and didn't look back.

Now (about 8 years later), I am probably going to go back to a geared bike (want to buy 1x9 29r) as climbing the hill to my new house just isn't fun, even with 38x17 gearing.

I still love taking my fixed gear bikes out, but find myself riding less and less because the last half mile is over 11% grade.
Old 04-20-11, 08:50 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 48 Posts
I don't need to be fixed; I'm not broken... so I ride SS.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 04-20-11, 09:49 AM
hwdxbassist

Bikes: Affinity Lo Pro-madison(RIP)-specialzed bmx-

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
in october of last year me my friends decided to go on a road trip to southern cali, 3 days before we left my motobecane's BB got messed up and I didnt have any money.
so i hoped on CL and found a schwinn maddy to trade for my laptop, the next day i rode to santa cruz on a fixed gear, on HWY 1, it was the most amazing trip ever-we ended up staying at big sur, since it was beautiful, ive been riding everyday since
Old 04-20-11, 10:02 AM
muckymucky
on Baby Charlie Concept~

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
saw a white girl doing this thing* at the red light on wangfujin and dian lou in beijing where she didnt have to get off her bike: it looked so effortless, so logical, so.much.grace

then friends here had concepts that just looked almost toy-like, adorable, agressive, zen.
and the rest is historys

Last edited by muckymucky; 04-20-11 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-20-11, 10:28 AM
ScottRock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by muckymucky
saw a white girl doing this thing* at the red light on wangfujin and dian lou in beijing where she didnt have to get off her bike: it looked so effortless, so logical, so.much.grace

then friends here had concepts that just looked almost toy-like, adorable, agressive, zen.
I saw thousands upon thousands of Indians doing the fixed thing in Delhi and on NH 1, and thought we could all use a little more "developing country" in this hizouse.

In reality it was a nice way to reconnect with pops, who's a huge roadie, but on my own terms. I also dislike shifting.
Old 04-20-11, 11:19 AM
adriano 

Bikes: https://velospace.org/node/18951

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
muk fal.

α
Old 04-20-11, 11:20 AM
avner
Fueled by Tigers Blood

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Echo Park, which is a hipster hot bed. I've seen fixed gears rolling around the neighborhood since I moved in. I was riding an old roadbike previously. My first Bike, a Langster Tokyo was too flashy for me. I didn't feel comfortable riding it so I sold it and bought the Sputnik after research. My Ex Girlfriend found it on CL, I bought it the same day. Fell in love with riding fixed because of its simplicity, its feedback and its challenge.
Old 04-20-11, 11:21 AM
jdgesus 
sɹɐʇsɟoןןnɟsʇıbɟɯo

Bikes: fixed gear recumbent trike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
srsly tho, fixed gear has helped my general bike and fitness much more then i thought it would.

next step is recumbent.

my bikes | bike blog | beer blog | work 1 | work 2
Old 04-20-11, 12:03 PM
kostal
I like the bike

Bikes: '73 Schwinn Continental, Rebuilt Schwinn Le Tour FG/SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At first I thought, as I'm sure many people outside of this forum still do, riding fixed was nuts. Many of my friends rode them but that didn't pique my interest. It wasn't until my Dad started talking about them, bought one, and I rode his that I thought "that is super fun!"

My old bike was super heavy, and the cables had rusted out so I was only riding one gear anyway. Found a cool conversion on craigslist and have been riding it ever since. I do like the extra control you get, but mostly I ride fixed because it's fun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.