Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

28h hub 32 hole rim frankenwheel. All the options?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-11, 12:33 PM
TL179

Bikes: 91 bridgestone rb-2, Univega viva sport, 04 masi Nouva Strada,Dave Scott Ironman, Changes like every month

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi folks,

First, can I ask that nobody flame me? Cool. The only reason I want to do this is because I have rims, a hub, a pile of spokes, a hozan spoke cutter, a park TS-2, and a lot of time on my hands.

So here's the problem, aside from my horrible math skills (and nobody around to double-check my bad work), I need/want to lace a 28h hub to a 32 hole rim. From what I can tell this won't work out evenly. I plan to do a radial build but frankly can't work out a decent spoke arrangement. I was thinking of lacing the hub as a 24 hole...

Anyway, if anybody out there has some pattern ideas, or even a spoke grouping that would build up symmetrically I can take it from there.
Old 04-21-11, 02:30 PM
motobecane69
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I won't flame you but why not just buy a 28 hole rim and try to sell your 32 hole or use it for another project. if your building a f ront wheel, get a 32 hole rear hub and build a set? As to your actual questions, i apologize, I don't have the expertise to advise if it is doable.
Old 04-21-11, 03:09 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
a rear wheel ? given 32 spoke hubs are quite common.. .. get one..

28 spoke rear wheel ? .. maybe if its a 16" or a 20".
Old 04-21-11, 04:48 PM
cycle_maven
Collector of Useless Info

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I hope the rim is pretty stiff- the skipped holes will be weak points, almost like a 16-hole rim. When I built up a mismatched rim and hub (40 hole S/A hub and 32 hole rim), I needed 8 different lengths (no dish was necessary so both sides were the same). I just dropped every 4th hole on the hub and laced it 3-cross. Not very imaginative, but it was my first mismatched wheel. But every hole in the rim was filled.
Old 04-21-11, 06:11 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
I'm surprised at how often this question comes up.

Building a wheel is a fair amount of work. Individually cutting and threading 28 spokes is a fair amount of work. If I'm going to go through that much effort I want the product to be both 1. something that I'm proud of and 2. at least as good, if not better, than anything that I can buy.
Old 04-21-11, 07:19 PM
motobecane69
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
a rear wheel ? given 32 spoke hubs are quite common.. .. get one..

28 spoke rear wheel ? .. maybe if its a 16" or a 20".
he didn't specify, when he said he was planning to build it radial I made the assumption that it's a front wheel. Rims can be had cheap, i say buy a 28 hole rim and be done with it.
Old 04-21-11, 08:11 PM
TL179

Bikes: 91 bridgestone rb-2, Univega viva sport, 04 masi Nouva Strada,Dave Scott Ironman, Changes like every month

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I'm asking this questions really for the sake of experiment. I've built dozens of wheels and know what goes into building a standard 3x or radial wheel (I'm really bad at calculating spoke lengths however).

I just laid the rim down and placed spokes in it to get a count. Using groups of two and skipping one hole between each group of two I was able to figure out a pattern for a 24 hole hub. Now I have to figure out which holes to skip on either side of the flange.

any ideas where to go from here