Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

question about frame sizing

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-11, 02:49 PM
Vicelord
Banned

Bikes: BMC RoadRacer SL01, Kona Kula FrankensteinDeluxe, Schwinn Powerglide.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I'm looking at purchasing a bike that I think is a bit on the big size for me, but it's a really tremendous deal and there is only one size left.

The bike is an '09 GT Marathon 9r. Full suspension with a full SLX build. $1100 brand new (leftover.)

Frame size is XL, and for the life of me I cannot find what the frame size is in inches. I generally ride a 20" and I am 5'10". Can I make this bike work? If I lower the seat a bit, will I be able to ride this bike properly?

I'm happy to answer any more questions that may help get me an answer, but I'd really like to buy this bike I just want to make sure that it isn't a big deal that it's an inch or two on the large side.
Old 04-25-11, 04:55 PM
pablosnazzy

Bikes: rocky mountain SLAYER!!!! trek, voodoo, surly, spot, bianchi, ibis

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
if you are 5'10" and the bike is xl, it is probably too big for you. no matter how great a deal it is, if it don't fit, it's pretty useless.

it's more than just lowering the seat, getting a shorter stem, etc.

if you can, sit on it, ride it around. if you aren't totally comfortable on it, you will be wasting your money, you will grow to hate that bike.
Old 04-25-11, 05:03 PM
Vicelord
Banned

Bikes: BMC RoadRacer SL01, Kona Kula FrankensteinDeluxe, Schwinn Powerglide.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I rode it the other day. My knees straightened out but I had plenty of room to lower the seat. Other than that, the bike did not bother me one bit.
Old 04-25-11, 05:06 PM
crazyotte
Reppin' the hacks

Bikes: '07 Diamondback Respones XE-based frankenbike (since deceased). '92 Schwinn Hurricane. '97 Trek 800.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, I'm 5'9" or 5'10", and ride a 17". I rode a 20" Saturday, and it was worthless.

I couldn't place my weight correctly in the climbs (and I'm not that bad of a rider, I'm a very good climber), and on the flats, the back pain was excruciating. Pass on this bike, you'll hate it. Even if it feels halfway decent on the lot, one hour on the trails and you'll be leaving craters from all the F-bombs.
Old 04-25-11, 05:32 PM
Zephyr11
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's a difference between not bothering you and feeling like it's an extension of your body. Which one was it? Don't try to convince yourself it fits just because it seems like a good deal. If it doesn't fit and you end up hating it, you won't ride it and it was a $1100 garage decoration...which is not such a great deal.
Old 04-25-11, 06:46 PM
Rob P.
Fred at large

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At 5' 10" an XL is more than "a bit big" for you. It's at least 1 size if not 2 sizes too big. You should be looking for something in a medium frame and/or 18-18.5 inches.