Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Lifepo4 winter storage question

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-11, 08:37 PM
baileysmith6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How should I store my lifepo4 battery over the winter months? Should I put it away with a full charge or drained? Should I top it up every few months? I bring it into the house during the winter to keep it warm...that only seems logical. Is there any proven tips that prolong the life of the battery? I have a 48v 20ah battery.
Old 04-25-11, 09:14 PM
Sangesf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Leave it fully charged...
3% / month is the normal degradation, so after 3 months it only loses 9%
Old 04-25-11, 09:15 PM
jethro56 
Watching and waiting.

Bikes: Trek 7300 Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have LiFepo4 batteries but generally speaking Li batteries should only be charged to 50-60% of capacity for storage. My charger has a storage function which will charge or discharge my LIPO batteries to the correct voltage. I would store them indoors. I think LiFePo4 storage voltage would be 3.1V per cell. E-mail your supplier for specific advice.
Old 04-25-11, 10:46 PM
dumbass 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great question but it like asking if a lifepo4 pack really needs a BMS. Everyone is going to give you their opinion but no one has any real proof as to the values of what they are telling you. No offence gang....But with the possible exception of jet having a charger tht actually has a special charge point for storage does anyone have any real facts? While I have heard that they should be stored at 50% I personally story them at full charge and check them about mid way through the winter. Not saying this is correct but until someone can show me proof that show why I should store in the summer time at full charge and at 1/2 charge in the winter I'll stick with what I'm doing. However, I have also heard that if your not going to use your packs for a period during the summer you should drain them down. I have also heard that you would be better not to recharge after use until just before you use them again. Like I said prove it to me that it's the better way.......

Bob
Old 04-26-11, 04:44 AM
rscamp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Doing a search will show lots of references, some even from reliable sources , that recommend storage in a cool, dry location at about a 50% SOC. Storage near 100% SOC increases the rate of degradation over time and storage below this begins to risk accidental overdischarge - particularly over long periods of storage.
Old 04-26-11, 06:26 AM
morph999 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this winter, I left mine at about 60 % charged. So far, I've rode, I seem to have lost 2 mph so don't be surprised if the next year, it's not quite as fast. At least mine isn't but I haven't taken it out in warm weather yet so maybe it was the cold weather or maybe I gained 30 lbs.
Old 05-05-11, 11:02 PM
baileysmith6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for everyones input.
Old 05-06-11, 03:36 PM
dumbass 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just read an artical writter by a lifepo4 battery company a few days ago (sorry I don't have a link but if I find it again I'll post). The artical included long term (winter) storage. It stated to fully charge all cells to 3.65 and place in storage at full charge. Bob