Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Any year round/all weather commuters with just one bike?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Any year round/all weather commuters with just one bike?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-11, 04:40 AM
xtrajack
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do ride year round, all weather (Wed. 18 miles, sleet, hail, heavy rain, wind, thunder&lightning).
I ride in the snow and ice (gotta luv the studded tires).
I have only ridden one bike the last three years (Kona Fire Mountain Xtracycle).

Technically, I own 6 other bikes, but none of them have seen the road since coming to live with me. So for all intents and purposes, I only have one bike.
Old 04-23-11, 06:07 AM
Oldsport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ride on one bike year round. It is a Bruce Gordon BLT. I have 35 mm tires on it and 35 mm studded tires for the winter. I think wider tires might be nice for snowy days, but there are only a hand full of those here in the DC area. I do worry about rust because I don't clean her often when it is cold outside.
Old 04-23-11, 06:12 AM
FunkyStickman
On a Mission from God

Bikes: '10 Surly LHT, Rat-rod Klunker, '82 Peugeot PH12 Centennial

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by keiththesnake
I don't fit the criteria. But, how do you do it? How do you resist the temptation to get another bike? I've never been perfectly satisfied with any single bike, although I wish I could be.
It's called "being frugal." That, and having a wife and kids and living on a single income.. it's hard, but you get used to it.
Old 04-23-11, 08:56 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Liked 3,428 Times in 2,076 Posts
I don't think I'm capable of owning just one bike. that would also be a violation of the N+1 rule.
Old 04-23-11, 11:47 AM
SouthFLpix

Bikes: 2007 Giant Cypress DX, Windsor Tourist 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I only have one bike right now, but I am about to purchase a 2nd bike that is more road friendly (touring bike).
Old 04-23-11, 11:53 AM
UptownJoe60640
I ride bikes!

Bikes: 2011 Redline 925 (Commuter) 2004 Giant Sedona(Fiances)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FunkyStickman
It's called "being frugal." That, and having a wife and kids and living on a single income.. it's hard, but you get used to it.
Yeah, I could never get use to that. Especially the one income thing. I couldn't live with someone who doesn't work.... regardless of their "situation"! Me and my other
half discuss things but when we want something... we get it! Doesn't really matter and neither one of us will EVER tell the other we cannot have something because
"we don't think it's a good idea"! We live by different standards but to each their own... I guess!
Old 04-23-11, 08:18 PM
nosloedone

Bikes: Surly LHT, Fuji Nevada (winter beater)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm an all weather yearounda camuta "Maine" with 1 bike used for commuting, a Releigh M60 Mtn bike with a few modifications. Schwalbe snow studs 1.90 in winter, late fall and early spring. Schwalbe silentos 1.75 in late spring summer early fall. Have a pair of planet bike full fenders. 5100 miles commuting the past two years. I have other bikes but this is my commuter. "It's blue but green"

Last edited by nosloedone; 04-23-11 at 08:19 PM. Reason: sp
Old 04-24-11, 01:37 PM
ItsJustMe
Seńior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Elkhound
You come out to start your ride and find that your normal commuter has a flat. If you have only one bike, you call your boss and tell her you'll be late; if you have a second, you commute on that one that day. Your commuter has to go into the shop for an overhaul on Saturday and isn't ready by Monday (or the shop is closed on Mondays). That's when you ride your second. You have to run by the grocery store or the home improvement store after work; you commute on your cargo bike.
No, I change the flat. It's not like I leave home just barely in time to make it to work anyway. What happens if you have a flat on the way? Actually I might just drive.

Overhauls? You mean, paying someone else to work on my bike? Why the hell would I do that?

My bike is my cargo bike. A Wald folding basket holds everything I've reasonably wanted to carry. The other day I did drive to work because I went to Lowes to buy a table saw. I didn't really feel that I wanted to carry a 60 pound box 4 x 4 x 2 feet on the bike.
Old 04-24-11, 01:41 PM
ItsJustMe
Seńior Member

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by keiththesnake
I don't fit the criteria. But, how do you do it? How do you resist the temptation to get another bike? I've never been perfectly satisfied with any single bike, although I wish I could be.
I'm not perfectly happy with my house, but I only have one house. Same with my car. It's called "living with compromise." Or maybe willful denial; I'm sure that there are bikes out there I'd like better, but since I don't really want to spend the money, I just don't think about it. The best way to avoid temptation is to remove it. If I never look at other bikes, I don't think about buying one.

Sometimes I could really use a sliding compound miter saw, but I get along without one because I don't want to spend $500 on a tool I'll only use a few hours a year and I can get along without.
Old 04-24-11, 04:29 PM
Pedaleur
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel

I'm also curious about places like Amsterdam where commuting by bike is normal. Do people there tend to have just one bike or do they have a fun bike and a work bike?

Assuming Amsterdam is like Copenhagen, mostly one bike. But people who ride road bikes usually don't commute on them, so they'd have two (or more).
Old 04-24-11, 04:56 PM
JPprivate
Very, very Senior Member

Bikes: 2012 Surly Troll, 1999 Hardtail MTB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, I have a couple of friends in Holland, and they confirmed that they have only one bike. (Have yet to meet a Dutchman who tells me he's an avid cyclist, but I'm sure they are out there). Most of them just do their 2, (at most) 3 mile commute by bike and find it convenient.
Old 04-24-11, 06:12 PM
powitte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Only 1. For commuting, touring, and utility purposes (have a BicycleR Evolution Eco Shopper trailer).

Running a SRAM S7 with coaster brake year round. The winter gets the 35mm Nokian W106s. Rest of the year I ride 28mm Panaracer T-Servs (well, a 28 in the back and 32 in the front).
Old 04-24-11, 06:57 PM
Mr Pink57
Did I catch a niner?

Bikes: Vassago Fisticuff/Surly Ogre/Surly Pugsley/Surly Pugsley 29+

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The problem here is we have so much salt in the winter that it's too hard to keep up with on just one bike, so I have a dedicated commuter.
Old 04-24-11, 09:47 PM
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Liked 87 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by delilo
What shoes/pedal combo do you use?
Shoes:
Summertime = Specialized Tahoe (MTB shoes)
Wintertime = Lake MXZ302 Winter riding boots

Pedals:
Crank Brothers Candy's
Old 04-25-11, 06:22 AM
tjspiel

Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by UptownJoe60640
Yeah, I could never get use to that. Especially the one income thing. I couldn't live with someone who doesn't work.... regardless of their "situation"! Me and my other
half discuss things but when we want something... we get it! Doesn't really matter and neither one of us will EVER tell the other we cannot have something because
"we don't think it's a good idea"! We live by different standards but to each their own... I guess!
We've structured our life so that we could live a on a single income if we had too. When our kids were younger my wife did work outside the home, but not very much. Before we were married she was quite sure that she'd keep working full time after we had kids. Once our son was born though she wanted to stay home.

Even if kids aren't in the picture, there's no guarantee that one spouse won't get laid off or won't be able to work for medical reasons.

Anyway, while none of this precludes me from getting more bikes, it does mean that as a rule we don't buy stuff on credit and that we have a fairly strict budget. There's money set aside for bike stuff but I'd have to not spend anything out of that budget for quite awhile before having enough in there for another bike. I'd also have sell one I already have.
Old 04-25-11, 07:38 AM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
I'm not perfectly happy with my house, but I only have one house. Same with my car. It's called "living with compromise." Or maybe willful denial....
I have one wife (25 years), one house (45 years old), one car (140K miles, going strong)...I often tell my wife she's lucky she's not a driver/putter (golf club) or bike...it seems there's no limit to my excess on those two areas. Congrates for being so disiplined, I haven't owned one bike since I was 11 years old...39 years ago. I have three different bikes I street ride in the winter, depending on conditions.
Old 04-25-11, 02:51 PM
Ipedaltahoe

Bikes: Motobecane Single Speed, Trek Mountain Track Xtracycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Up until last summer I only had one a Trek mountain track, which I converted to an Xtracycle. For my birthday last summer I bought the single speed of my dreams. But I really only use it for commuting once in a blue moon, I use it more for weekends and evening trips with no need to carry anything.
Old 04-25-11, 03:16 PM
crhilton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes. I commute on a cross check. In the summer I run cheap touring tires. In the winter I put on 700x40c nokians. Our winters are inconsistent about road conditions. So I keep the nokians on their own wheelset and swap that in and out as needed (probably half the days I'm running those).

I run the same full SKS fenders all year. Same rack, etc.

Every fall I put on a thick layer of wax. They use liquid salt here.

I could afford a second bike, but I prefer to ride the same bike. I have it setup and comfortable!

(Edit: I have several other bikes. They're all for fun.)

Last edited by crhilton; 04-25-11 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-25-11, 03:20 PM
crhilton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by UptownJoe60640
I suspect that cost of living between Chicago and Minneapolis is quite different as well. Cost of living in some of the big cities seems pretty out of control to me. $2k a month as a normal housing cost?
Old 04-26-11, 09:07 AM
daijoubu2k8

Bikes: Velosport Appalache 15

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I work 1000' above the city so I reliably get snow in the winter. I just completed my first year of year round commuting on a mid-80s touring bike and can't believe how much I love this thing. It's heavier than a race bike, but it handles everything I've thrown at it. There's enough clearance for studded cross tires in the winter, with fenders and it has all the eyelets for racks. Mud in the summer is my only downfall so far. Deep mud and slicks don't work together.
Old 04-26-11, 10:43 AM
ItsJustMe
Seńior Member

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JPprivate
(Have yet to meet a Dutchman who tells me he's an avid cyclist, but I'm sure they are out there). Most of them just do their 2, (at most) 3 mile commute by bike and find it convenient.
Most people who go everywhere in a car do not consider themselves avid car nuts. I feel the same way about bikes. I like to ride, and i ride about 25 to 30 miles a day, but I don't consider myself an avid cyclist. I have a friend who's a huge cycling nut, she flies cross country and internationally to just watch races and get autographs, she also rides a lot. I can't think of anything more boring than watching a race of any kind much less a bike race.

Someone at work once asked me if I planned to race, since I rode my bike so much. I asked him if he planned to race, given that he drove his car so much.
Old 04-26-11, 12:21 PM
Praxis
Not a legend

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to ignore your caveats.

Year 'round commuter here, no snow. One bike, an older hybrid (20 years), I bought it new in high school. I could buy another bike, but this one works fine. I did recently convert to drops out of an abundance of caution of the wrist pain I was getting. If I bought another bike I'd have to store it somewhere. Family of 6, not much spare room to go around.

I think I'd consider a CX bike (or something like my hybrid) if I were riding in snow so I could change wheels to something wider, which I assume helps in snow (haven't ever biked in it). I'd still prefer one bike I think, but I don't know how bad the salt kills things.

There is some merit to having a backup bike. I do all my own work but I have to always have it wrapped up in time if I want to use the bike. Doing my own work means I don't have to make an appointment, drive the bike there, pick it up later, and potentially get irked at the quality of work done. I can get work on my bike done between when I get home and when I ride the next day, when shops aren't open.
Old 04-26-11, 12:30 PM
tjspiel

Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by crhilton
I suspect that cost of living between Chicago and Minneapolis is quite different as well. Cost of living in some of the big cities seems pretty out of control to me. $2k a month as a normal housing cost?
I've known several people who live in Chicago on a single income. Yes, average housing costs go up, but often times income goes up along with it. The other thing that happens in big cities is that the need for a car, - especially multiple cars is reduced.
Old 04-27-11, 03:40 PM
tligman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have just one bike, that I ride for commuting year round, in the harsh cleveland winters, and can afford a second bike. In fact, I'm sort of loosely shopping for a second bike, because I'm tired of getting dropped on every group ride because I'm on a heavy MTB w/ racks and bags and big cushy tires... do I count?
Old 04-27-11, 11:47 PM
irclean
Born Again Pagan

Bikes: Schwinn hybrid, Raleigh MTB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bluefoxicy
My GT Tachyon was pretty much "work" with my commute. Then I added clipless pedals. ^_^ Hills are no longer a problem. We're talking 30%-50% grade climbs here, up and down again and again and it's all stop-and-go (bicycles stop at stop signs and traffic lights; I watch idiots ride through at full speed without even looking, they will learn one day). There's one that's got to be a 75% grade here; my car struggles to get up it in second, and I have a Mazda 3 S with a 180HP engine. I've yet to bike up it (I can barely walk up it, even when fresh!), but I've yet to try with the clipless pedals.
While I don't doubt that the streets you mentioned are steep, I find it hard to believe that anything you're facing is greater than a 30% grade. Here's a story you might find interesting, and this website lists some of the steepest streets in the US.

In response to the thread, I have one bike that I commute on year-round. I confess to having more than one bike, but the others see very little duty compared to my 4-season bike. I bought this bike, a belt-driven Norco Ceres, specifically to handle winter duties, which it does in stellar fashion. This winter we say 3x the normal annual snowfall. On one particular December day we received more than 100cm (~40 inches) of snow. I was forced to stay home that day, and I doubt even Pugsley riders would have been able to get anywhere. Only snow machine riders were getting around successfully. In any case, having a low-maintenance, belt-driven, IGH-equipped, disc-braked bike makes riding in inclement weather fun. It's nice to know that I only have to worry about protecting myself from the elements, knowing that my bike can handle whatever Mother Nature throws at it.