Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Craving a Bianchi Volpe

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Craving a Bianchi Volpe

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-11, 10:21 PM
Epicus07

Bikes: See Signature.

Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
Craving a Bianchi Volpe

I've been commuting 5 days a week (15 miles) on my steel specialized allez. It's a nice bike with a good ride but i'm craving something different. I already have an amazing steel italian racing bike and a carbon fiber distance bike so i'm feeling like i want something other than a racing geometry commuter. I'm kind of toying with the idea of a light tourer that i can throw knobby tires on and take off road if i want. I've noticed that the volpe seems to be nice without screaming steal me.

Am i being silly? I will probably only take it off road once a year and the rest of the time it will be on 28c road tires. I'm just craving some cantilever brakes and more relaxed geometry.

Is the volpe a true cyclocross bike or does it have a relaxed position and wheelbase like a touring bike?
Old 04-29-11, 10:33 PM
ObjectAgnosia
Behind Bars

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride the San Jose which is based off of the Volpe geometry with track drop outs. It rides great on and off road. My commute takes me on dirt paths and it feels great on 28c tires. I'm looking for a little bit more cushion so I ordered a pair of 32c Marathons. I have ridden true road bikes before and after riding this I don't think I'll go back.
Old 04-29-11, 11:48 PM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ObjectAgnosia
I ride the San Jose which is based off of the Volpe geometry with track drop outs. It rides great on and off road. My commute takes me on dirt paths and it feels great on 28c tires. I'm looking for a little bit more cushion so I ordered a pair of 32c Marathons. I have ridden true road bikes before and after riding this I don't think I'll go back.

Unfortunately, the San Jose is no longer in production..
Old 04-30-11, 08:49 AM
arbysovenmitt

Bikes: 2010 Bianchi Volpe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a 2010 Volpe about 2 months ago now and am loving it. It's my first 'real' bike though, so I'm pretty sure I'd have loved anything I bought, but it's definitely a great commuter. Solid build, pretty light, handles dirt paths and torn up roads with ease but cruises on decent roads. Plus it's real comfy!
Old 05-01-11, 03:50 PM
ObjectAgnosia
Behind Bars

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sirrus Rider
Unfortunately, the San Jose is no longer in production..
There's a seller on ebay still selling some left overs. I was fortunate enough to find one locally on craig's list.
Old 05-01-11, 04:04 PM
phx1973

Bikes: 2019 Giant Contend 3

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I love the Volpe and am considering that as well. I noticed nobody responded to your question of whether it is a cyclocross or considered a true touring geometry...Can anybody chime in who would know? I noticed it is roughly the same price as an LHT, another bike that I am very interested in.
Old 05-01-11, 05:23 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Here's my Valle-turned-Volpe. Basically the same thing as a Volpe since the drop bar conversion, plus the fenders and dynohub. I like it a lot:

Old 05-02-11, 05:45 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Also check out the new Salsa Casseroll. It is very similar to the Volpe except for the taller head tube. It has canti brakes and room for tires up to 38 mm, plus mounts for fenders and racks front and rear. I had thought about picking up a used Volpe, but the Casseroll geometry suits me better.
Old 05-02-11, 06:50 AM
perspiration
already soaked

Bikes: 2011 Surly Crosscheck, 2014 Novara Randonee

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
check out the surly crosscheck, its verrry similar but a little more suited for touring, i think.
Old 05-02-11, 12:36 PM
Epicus07

I found something similar at a local bike swap over the weekend.

Its a custom built steel frame cross bike. True Temper OX platinum tubing!

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...t-another-bike.
Old 05-02-11, 03:05 PM
sygyzy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great thread guys. Helping my friend find a road/commuter bike and I got some great ideas from here.
Old 05-02-11, 06:30 PM
dan42

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Volpe and I love it,love it,love it! I have tried to ride others but they never seem to offer what my Volpe can. The Volpe is a cross between a touring bike and cross bike. I have taken it on some rough singletrack, and though it did not burst into flames, it was a rough ride. I do ride it on old fire/logging roads and it does just fine. I mainlly use it for commuting and am happy with it! Did I mention I love it?
Old 05-02-11, 07:26 PM
advicepig

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I love my 1998 Volpe. I wouldn't say it was a true touring geometry as it has rather short chainstays for a touring bike, so if I'm not careful about how I load my bike, I can get a little heel strike on my rear panniers.

It's my favorite of my many bikes.
Old 05-02-11, 09:58 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I have a 2006 green Volpe.

I use it a lot and like it a lot too.
Old 05-03-11, 12:21 PM
Terry66

Bikes: Salsa Vaya, Specialized Roubaix Team Saxo, Fisher HiFi29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was in the same situation in that I wasn't sure how "useful" a drop bar bike with fat tires would be. I ended up with the Salsa Vaya and I couldn't be happier. I am running WTB 700X37 All Terrain tires. In fact, I am guessing since I got the Vaya, I have put 400 miles on it. My carbon road bike has maybe 20-30 miles in that time! I find that the all terrain tires roll fairly well on paved roads and it does great on dirt/gravel so I find I ride the Vaya all the time.

When I was in the market, I also looked at the Pake C'Mute and also the Soma Saga....both seem to be reasonably priced...although I was looking at frames to do my own build.
Old 05-03-11, 01:05 PM
hubcap
One Man Fast Brick

Bikes: Specialized Langster, Bianchi San Jose, early 90s GT Karakoram, Yuba Mundo, Mercier Nano (mini velo), Nashbar Steel Commuter, KHS Tandemania Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Volpe is a fantastic "do-it-all" bike. I ride it all seasons long. Plus it is a Bianchi, how can you miss out on that?

Roll the Bianchi and love the praise you will get from riding the Volpe. A Crosscheck is nice, but come on, everyone has one of those, and everyone would like to have a Volpe.

disclaimer: I do not own a Volpe. I do own a San Jose, which is basically a Volpe with track ends instead of drop outs. It is the most comfortable bike to ride that I own, which includes a lot of bikes and a lot of miles.
Old 05-03-11, 08:37 PM
sam83
On Two Wheels

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Bianchi Volpe, 2 Salsa Casserolls (fixed & Triple), 2011 Salsa Chili Con Crosso, 1983 Schwinn Supersport, Schwinn Mesa MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've run my 03 Volpe with and without racks and fenders and everything from 23s to the stock WTBs. I found the candy red paint job too pretty for a commuter. Currently it is set up with 28s and 2 x 10 Sram and I use it for weekend rides and centuries. Several bikes have come and gone, but this is one of my favorites.

I also have an 08 Casseroll that I ride fixed, and I liked it so much that I snatched up a second one (insane deal) that I set up with some fat 37s and 3 x 9 for commuting, exploring rough back roads and for treacherous winter riding conditions.

Both bikes can be set up to do almost anything, and mine are set up to do different things, so it's hard to draw any good conclusions but that I like them both.
Old 05-04-11, 10:45 PM
Epicus07

How much did you get your second casseroll for ? I've been passionately in love with them since I test rode one last year. I've fantasized about getting a good deal on one.
Old 05-06-11, 03:31 AM
daleb116

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Volpe is nice. I purchased mine in 1994, one of the black and forest green versions. It has handled dirt and gravel roads and smooth pavement very well. It is a nice all around bike. I have done some commuting on mine. It should do the job for you.
Old 05-06-11, 05:54 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Epicus07
How much did you get your second casseroll for ? I've been passionately in love with them since I test rode one last year. I've fantasized about getting a good deal on one.
I just bought one of the new Casserolls. It cost about $550 for the frame, fork, seat collar and front rack. I swapped parts from another bike, and the total build cost me about $800 including labor. I needed to buy new canti brakes, a head set and stem to complete the build.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
salsa-1.jpg (57.6 KB, 115 views)
Old 05-06-11, 06:19 AM
Epicus07

Sexy bike!

I love every thing about the new casseroll except for the weird super tall head tube.

You should get one of their rando front racks
Old 05-06-11, 07:15 AM
tarwheel 

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Epicus07
Sexy bike!

I love every thing about the new casseroll except for the weird super tall head tube. You should get one of their rando front racks
They all come with front racks, but I left mine off because I want to keep the weight down as much as possible. The tall head tube is what I like about the frame, because -- as you see -- I like to run my handlebars about level with the saddle. The head tube looks longer than it is because they dropped down the top tube to get more standover clearance.
Old 05-06-11, 03:36 PM
clasher

Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
The nashbar cross and touring frames seem like cheaper options in some cases.I really like the pake c'mute myself, if I had to recommend to a friend that'd be #1 with a surly in #2 since they seem easier to find around here.
Old 05-06-11, 10:36 PM
Donkey Hodie
I like chrome.

Bikes: 1983 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1986 Mongoose ATB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, man! The Salsa Vaya and Casseroll both look very nice! All of Salsa's bikes look really nice this year actually. If I were you, and could afford it, I would go with either the Vaya or the Casseroll (probably the vaya). If you really wanted to get crazy with fat wheels and drop bars, check out the Salsa Fargo.
Old 05-06-11, 11:30 PM
ecovelo

Bikes: 1992 Trek 950, 1994 Canondale M600, 2000 Cannondale C300, 2004 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2010 Salsa Vaya, 2013 Jamis Dragon - Team Issue, 2019 Salsa Timberjack, 2020 Tern Vektron

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
The Volpe has a shorter wheelbase and chainstay than your classic touring rig - but longer than a "regular" road bike.

I've got an 06' Castro Valley - same geometry as the San Jose and the Volpe - 9spd with Dynamo hub as "BarricksSi" posted earlier. I am currently selling mine in favor of a Salsa Vaya I recently purchased. My decision to go with the Vaya was based entirely on fit - I needed a slightly different HT angle and ST angle and the Vaya resolved my fit/injury issues immediately. Otherwise, I absolutely loved everything about the Castro Valley (ie; Volpe).

As others mentioned, these are dubbed "great all-around bikes" - the Volpe, the Cross Check, the Vaya (a little bit funky geometry - more "upright" I think), the Casseroll, are all very similar. Another well made bike (IMHO) is the Soma Double Check which is very similar to the Cross Check. The Soma for 2011 is a flat Ivory off white with dark orangy-brown detailing. Looks classy to some and not so much so to others - but you can still find some older models around (not many) in their former color (black) and Midnight Silver for the frame that takes disc brakes. The cool thing about the Soma and the Surly (? correct me if I'm wrong? - and maybe still the Salsa Vaya?) is that you can buy the frame only, and build them up yourself. Salsa also made the Vaya in Titanium last year - don't know if they still do.

This is fun.... isn't it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.