Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Replacement crank for a FSA Gossamer on my Fuji ACR 2.0

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-11, 12:23 PM
SteveDave

Bikes: 2009 Rockhopper Comp Disc 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking for a new crank to replace my FSA Gossamer Compact that is currently on my Fuji ACR 2.0 Roubaix. I was wondering what would be an upgrade that I would notice in both performance and weight. The bike comes equipped with 105 across the board, except the crank, which I thought was weird. Would that be due to the fact that the bike comes with a BB30? I had thoughts of just grabbing a 105 crank but then noticed that the Ultegra crank is pretty affordable. I had looked at SRAM but since everything else is basically Shimano, I figured I'd stick with that lineage of parts. This is my first road bike so this might be all assumption on my part.

Oh I've heard stories about the FSA Gossamer having failure issues as well, is this true?
Old 05-10-11, 12:25 PM
Blackdays
Boom.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Look at FSA or SRAM cranks. You won't have luck with Shimano for BB30.
Old 05-10-11, 12:33 PM
M_FactorX19

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SRAM Force. thats what i went with and it was a major improvement in weight and performance. with BB30 you dont have as many options. you can use an adapter and use normal cranks but you will add weight. BB30 cranks are lighter than standard cranks of the same model so it doesnt make sense to go that way if you ask me unless you already have a crank.

cannondale hollowgram BB30 cranks are legendary and ive heard good things about zipps crank as well if you have them money to spend on them.

whats wrong with not having the whole group be the same brand? i see nothing wrong with that where it makes sense.
Old 05-10-11, 12:35 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Internets tell me that the gossamer crankset + bb weigh 900g. Ultegra weighs ~830g, 105 weighs 900g I think, and SRAM Force is 780g. Then you have the Zipp cranks, FSA Kforce light, kcnc cranks, etc which all weigh 600-700g but will cost you $400+. You're willing to shell out $300+ for a high end crank to save 100 grams?
Old 05-10-11, 12:37 PM
M_FactorX19

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
to answer you question about the failure issues. yes there was a recall anyways of that crank on your bike. so you might want to check into that if you dont get a new crank.
Old 05-10-11, 12:38 PM
M_FactorX19

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by **********
Internets tell me that the gossamer crankset + bb weigh 900g. Ultegra weighs ~830g, 105 weighs 900g I think, and SRAM Force is 780g. Then you have the Zipp cranks, FSA Kforce light, kcnc cranks, etc which all weigh 600-700g but will cost you $400+. You're willing to shell out $300+ for a high end crank to save 100 grams?
BB30 sram force should weigh around 650g
Old 05-10-11, 07:40 PM
SteveDave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any issues with running SRAM force crank and a 105 derailuer and shimano cassette?
Old 05-10-11, 07:48 PM
climber7

Bikes: 2010 Jamis Xenith Comp

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by M_FactorX19
to answer you question about the failure issues. yes there was a recall anyways of that crank on your bike. so you might want to check into that if you dont get a new crank.
only some cranks, though. my bike has an fsa gossamer pro BB30 and it wasn't included in the recall (i checked the serial number).

if you have $ and want to upgrade, go for it, but i haven't had any problems with mine.
Old 05-10-11, 07:51 PM
EKCooper

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale Synapse 7 w/ Ultegra Upgrade

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've never had good luck with cheaper FSA cranks with a Shimano group. The shifting is just never as good as all Shimano.
Old 05-10-11, 08:08 PM
SteveDave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had issue with shifting from the large to small chainring several times. Also I get an occasional slip several times for no apparent reason, almost like I'm missing teeth. Everything looks ok to the eye, nothing bent from what I can tell.

Is that recall info handy any place? FSA's website maybe?

Last edited by SteveDave; 05-10-11 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-10-11, 08:30 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveDave
I'm looking for a new crank to replace my FSA Gossamer Compact that is currently on my Fuji ACR 2.0 Roubaix. I was wondering what would be an upgrade that I would notice in both performance and weight.
You're not going to notice the weight unless you hang your bike from a scale.

Figure out how much you and your bike weigh in kilograms. For example, a 140 pound rider + 20 pounds of bike/pedal/shoe weighs 72.6 kg at 2.2 pounds/kg. Subtract .1kg from that. Divide the resulting quantity by your old total as in 72.5/72.6 = .9986. IOW, saving 100 grams would make you .14% faster if you were climbing straight up a ladder dragging your bike behind you, saving 5 seconds an hour. On the road where aerodynamics are significant the effects will be less. If you weigh more the effects will be less.

Shimano and Campagnolo (I don't know about SRAM) do a better job at pinning and ramping their chain rings for faster up shifts than FSA, although it's not enough that I'd replace an FSA crank before I wore out the chain rings unless I wanted to change ratios (a decent crankset with nice rings isn't necessarily appreciably more expensive than a set of nice rings by themselves). Bad front derailleur adjustment (maybe it's too high) may have more to do with your shifting problems than the chain rings.

Obviously carbon fiber cranks have a sexier modern look than most contemporary aluminum cranks (especially the Shimano cranks which look like dead octopuses). A C-record crank in polished silver is even more aesthetic, but inappropriate for a modern bike with too many black parts. If you want a guy jewelry upgrade, Campagnolo carbon cranks are the prettiest of affordable cranks since the drive side crank arm doesn't leave between spider arms and they have a nice mottled pattern. BB30 bearing cups are available. SRAM force looks nice too. You'll probably want to order from the UK (ribble cycles, shiny bikes, etc) even if you buy SRAM/Shimano since their retail prices are lower than US wholesale. I admit to having a set of FSA Carbon Pro compact cranks (first of the affordable carbon fiber cranks) on an American classic ISIS bottom bracket for a total 682g weight - they look good apart from the black chain rings that get chewed up on the non-drive side.

Some of the more exotic cranks have a nice shape and visible carbon weave that can look even better, but with baubles like Lightning cranksets running $650 without rings they're too spendy for me.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 05-10-11 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-10-11, 09:23 PM
Palomar01
SpeedFreak

Bikes: Motobecane Le Champ Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want better, smoother shifting with your 105 group, get a 105 Crank. You won't loose any weight but it will be smoother shifting. The FSA Gossamer was chosen to lower the cost of your bike. I had that on my old Roubaix ACR 3.0 and although it shifted flawlessly every time, it was never what I would call smooth. It just got the job done. Never had any issues with it either. I test road a Fuji SST 3.0 with full 5700 105 and the front derailleur and crank shifted beautifully smooth and fast and just as good as an Ultegra.

If you want bling, no doubt about it: FSA SLK-Lite because it just looks cool.
Old 05-10-11, 09:51 PM
climber7

Bikes: 2010 Jamis Xenith Comp

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is that recall info handy any place? FSA's website maybe?
https://lmgtfy.com/?q=fsa+gossamer+recall
Old 07-14-13, 03:21 PM
sclim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm looking for a new crank to replace my FSA Gossamer Compact that is currently on my Fuji ACR 2.0 Roubaix. I was wondering what would be an upgrade that I would notice in both performance and weight. The bike comes equipped with 105 across the board, except the crank, which I thought was weird. Would that be due to the fact that the bike comes with a BB30? I had thoughts of just grabbing a 105 crank but then noticed that the Ultegra crank is pretty affordable. I had looked at SRAM but since everything else is basically Shimano, I figured I'd stick with that lineage of parts. This is my first road bike so this might be all assumption on my part.

Oh I've heard stories about the FSA Gossamer having failure issues as well, is this true?
Did you eventually swap out the FSA Gossamer Crankset? If so do you still have it and want to sell it? (Sorry if this was so long ago that it's ancient history -- also I'm unaware of any forum etiquette breach in requesting item for possible purchase -- if so I apologize).
Old 09-16-13, 10:50 PM
sclim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To Brian Out There:
(I got your request, but I was unable to send a private reply due to a restriction in the posting rules that I don't quite understand -- apparently I need to send 50 posts before I can send a private reply. So this reply is directed specifically at you, but it also addresses any other forum reader who reads my July 14 post regarding the FSA Gossamer Crankset that I wanted then.)

Thanks for your reply. My reason was a kind of odd one. I am short statured, and I had experimented with a pair of clamp on crank shortener devices and found that I could pedal more efficiently with a crank length of 140mm. I found short cranks very hard to find. I was going to do brutal surgery on my own and re-drill a standard length "normal" crankset. By trial and error and searching I found the Gossamer to be the most suitable for such a procedure or so I thought, being not hollow forged and having, I hoped, only a trivial fluting groove on the inside facing surface to interfere with sufficient depth of metal for a new drilled pedal eye-hole.

My search fizzled out -- I wasn't going to experiment with a new one -- but I found an outfit BikeSmith in Minneapolis who does this kind of modification all the time for customers. As it turns out, he says the Gossamer crank shaping isn't as good as the SRAM Apex crankset which can be safely drilled and shortened to 140mm. I got him to modify an Apex Crankset which I bought from him, and he drilled and shortened it to 140mm and sent it to me. It works great.

So, I won't be requiring the Gossamer, after all; thanks for your effort, and sorry to inconvenience you.

Cheers,

sclim
Old 09-17-13, 04:33 AM
99Klein 

Bikes: 99 Klein Quantum, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10 5, Specialized Tarmac Comp, Foundry Thresher, Fuji Sportif

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I got a 105 (5700) from Nashbar on sale for $140.00 and free shipping. Wheels manufacturing bb30 kit for$15 and HUGE performance in shifting over the Gossamer Pro.
Old 09-17-13, 05:09 AM
Smokehouse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I swapped the chainring from the FSA stock to a Praxis...that made a huge difference. I'm pretty darn happy with the setup now...