Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

My first fall.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

My first fall.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-11, 06:58 PM
Spookeay Bird
spookeaymarine.info

Location: Me, I'm in Central Alabama C.S.A. But my husband is under the bed. He's sure there is a black helicopter orbiting our house.

Bikes: Schwin,Ross,Cannondale.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first fall.

Well, I took the new CAAD8 out today and let a friend ride my SR500. I threatened him that if he dropped it I was going to kick his butt! 6 miles into the ride we stopped at the first store to get some water and such and I see some other cyclist at the store. I got so excited that I forgot to unclip and fell right over. I was OK only some scuff on the bar tape but It was right in front of a bunch of cyclist on a 150 and the store was there 115 mile rest stop. Awwww I was embarrassed. If it had been around friends or by my self I think it would have been easier but right in front of all these cyclist I did not know and during an event. No doubt we folks in the sticks are a bunch of amateurs. LOL Any was the CAAD8 fly's wow it's so fast and climbs like a cat up a tree! Best bike I have owned yet. I smoked every one on the ride. For the first time I found my self the one holding back with my normal bunch.
Old 05-14-11, 07:08 PM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Happens to most people. Bruises the ego a little, but I'm sure nobody thought it was a big deal. Glad you had fun on your ride.
Old 05-14-11, 07:15 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Liked 5,416 Times in 1,871 Posts
Glad your ok, happens to all of us. Heck I fell over just a couple of months ago right in front of the Sheriff. Only had one foot unclipped, slid the front in some loose gravel which put my balance to the wrong side and over I went with that foot still clipped in.

Lucked out today though. About 43 miles into a ride, took a turn at around 18 mph and saw the sand and gravel on the road too late. Straightened my line and went off into the grass. Luckily nothing went wrong but I thought for a minute I was going to bite it.
Old 05-14-11, 07:17 PM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
Too bad you didn't scratch the bike, and get it over with. Now you've got to keep babying it.
Old 05-14-11, 07:42 PM
Spookeay Bird
spookeaymarine.info

Location: Me, I'm in Central Alabama C.S.A. But my husband is under the bed. He's sure there is a black helicopter orbiting our house.

Bikes: Schwin,Ross,Cannondale.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea I know. I would be driven to fix it if I scratch it LOL I could not stand it.
Old 05-14-11, 08:34 PM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
I fell on Thursday. Freaking pedal would not release my foot. Pedal malfunction...that's my story. Anyway, ended up ripping a hole in my saddle. Gave me an excuse to go get a new one. Like the new one much better. Falls happen. Just pray that your falls happen at low speed and not going down a big hill.
Old 05-14-11, 09:30 PM
StevenSTL
Awesome

Bikes: 2011 Trek XO1, 2007 Trek 3900

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've fallen while sitting at a stop light twice now. Had my right foot clipped in and just lost my balance somehow. Super embarrassing both times but I'm glad I wasn't riding when it happened.
Old 05-14-11, 10:17 PM
98TJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson
I fell on Thursday. Freaking pedal would not release my foot. Pedal malfunction...that's my story.
Old 05-14-11, 10:46 PM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Brandon must be secure with his manhood to ride a bike with pink bar tape. Can certainly tell it's your bike though...it matches the other one!

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)