Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Negotiating Scary Intersections

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-11, 09:08 PM
Dunbar

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I debated even posting this since I'm sure the answers will be "take the lane." This intersection gives me the skeeves, especially during the evening rush. The road has a 45mph speed limit so I just don't feel safe merging with traffic. There's no shoulder at the far end of the intersection so there's really nowhere to go. There's a bike lane about 100ft past the intersection but getting there is the hard part. How do the experienced riders handle this situation?

Old 05-07-11, 09:18 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dunbar
I debated even posting this since I'm sure the answers will be "take the lane." This intersection gives me the skeeves, especially during the evening rush. The road has a 45mph speed limit so I just don't feel safe merging with traffic. There's no shoulder at the far end of the intersection so there's really nowhere to go. There's a bike lane about 100ft past the intersection but getting there is the hard part. How do the experienced riders handle this situation?

My first response is to 'take the lane'. At the same time, an speed limit above 40mph gives me the 'skeeves'.
Old 05-07-11, 09:22 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
1) If possible reroute so that you don't have to go through that intersection
2) Do I really need to say it? Take the bloody lane
3) Gain more experience on other roads that aren't quite as heavily traveled working up to the more heavily traveled roads.
4) Just to repeat, reroute, take the lane, gain experience, take the lane

That's one of the problems with bike lanes. They have a bad habit of starting and stopping without rhyme or reason, usually when a cyclist needs it the most.
Old 05-07-11, 10:12 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Liked 90 Times in 54 Posts
What is the intersection? (What streets, what city?) I would really try to find an alternate route.

If you're stuck with it, take the lane (there we go again). Two things to help make it less scary: Run a blinky, even in the daylight. I think a Portland Design Works Radbot 1000 would be more visible than a Planet Bike Super Flash, especially in the daylight. The second thing is, if you don't have one yet, get a mirror, preferably helmet or eyeglass mount. A quick sweep with your neck and you have a full view of all traffic behind. I find it indispensable for alleviating the skeeves you get from high traffic areas.

Also, check out the items under "On the Road" at CommuteOrlando. The best resources I know for learning about dealing with unfriendly traffic.

One last thing: If there is a bike lane just ahead, maybe get the shoulderless section of road declared a bike route with signage and sharrow markings? Bring it to the city's attention and see what they say.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

Last edited by Doohickie; 05-07-11 at 10:16 PM.
Old 05-07-11, 10:25 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
You already know, take the lane.
Old 05-07-11, 10:31 PM
oban_kobi

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX, Custom Vintage FG

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Slow down and wait for the light to turn red, then get in line. That's what I do at hairy intersections. Then you know the person behind you sees you, and you can keep up, at least for a bit.
Old 05-07-11, 10:36 PM
fordmanvt
Refrigerator Raider Hater

Bikes: 2008 Sequoia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
get on the sideride.
Old 05-08-11, 07:31 PM
Dunbar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I always ride with a take-a-look mirror and I do have a radbot 1000 but I don't usually turn it on during the day. There really are no alternative main roads, you could take some parallel side streets but they pose their own risks. This traffic light is really long so it's not feasible to wait for a red. I do finally feel comfortable merging with traffic at a red light though. I've been known to hang a right and then make a u-turn and get back on the same road when a hole opens up in traffic. Those videos on commuteorlando give me the creepy crawlies just watching them

I saw an experienced commuter filter up to the front of this intersection at a red light and position himself splitting the lanes (traffic backs up at rush hour.) I was like
Old 05-08-11, 08:12 PM
mikeybikes

Bikes: Tons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dismount and walk on the sidewalk if it's that scary.
Old 05-08-11, 08:26 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
I've been known to hang a right and then make a u-turn and get back on the same road when a hole opens up in traffic.
Which carries higher risk than simply taking the lane.
Old 05-09-11, 08:03 AM
sggoodri

Bikes: 1983 Trek 500, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2023 Litespeed Watia

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, drivers generally pay more attention to the road ahead when approaching intersections than when traveling mid-block, because they have learned to expect slowing, turning and entering traffic at intersections. When approaching the intersection, wait for a big enough gap in traffic or signal to make one, and take the lane. Move back over when past the intersection where it widens enough that you feel you have enough room again.

By controlling the lane there, you'll also be discouraging right hook collisions, which are more likely than overtaking collisions at intesections.

With time you'll gain more confidence taking control of the lane on 45 mph roads. That doesn't mean you'll enjoy them, but at least you'll feel empowered to get through such intersections. FYI I control the travel lane on a 5-lane 45mph road for over a mile (and a 5-lane 35 mph road for over two miles) one -way every time I bike-commute.

Last edited by sggoodri; 05-09-11 at 08:08 AM.
Old 05-09-11, 08:06 AM
rando

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Honestly, what I would do? get on the sidewalk before the intersection, cross in the crosswalk, and continue on the sidewalk for 100 ft until you get to the bike lane again. simple. easy. comfortable. it doesn't appear the sidewalk is teeming with pedestrians.

Cyclists fare best when they recognize that there are times when acting vehicularly is not the best practice, and are flexible enough to do what is necessary as the situation warrants.--Me
Old 05-09-11, 08:25 AM
Gharp23

Bikes: 2013 Felt Z4, 2011 Trek 7.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take the lane,haul ass through the intersection and once you get past it move over to the right when you feel there is enough room for others to pass you and give everyone a friendly wave coming behind you . Any other way just seems too dangerous to me.

if you are still worried.. get a dinotte. Isn't that the solution to all biking problems?

Last edited by Gharp23; 05-09-11 at 08:29 AM.
Old 05-09-11, 08:27 AM
ZCow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride down 45+ roads to school and even 50+ roads. Take the lane. By doing this, you are asserting lane position and forcing a full pass into the other lane as well as upping your visibility. Do you own a mirror by chance? One of the biggest reasons people are "scared" of riding in the road is because they feel they may get hit from behind when chances of that are HIGHLY unlikely, and by getting a mirror you can physically see how far away cars merge and how much room they truly give you.

Check out the top video under "Confident Cyclist Videos" on the right of this link and skip to 3:52. This is a 45MPH+ road and you will notice EVERY car gives ample room when passing and notices the rider from a great distance away.

https://commuteorlando.com/wordpress/...ident-cyclist/
Old 05-09-11, 08:53 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
In addition to advice given above,

Plan ahead, well ahead of the intersection. Ride the gaps if possible.

Look behind, signal. negotiate if necessary, safely. take it, make it yours. Be visible, be predictable, be safe, and you'll get it!

I recommend daytime conspicuity lights for safety as well.
Old 05-09-11, 09:50 AM
fuji86

Bikes: 1986 Fuji Allegro 12 Spd; 2015 Bianchi Kuma 27.2 24 Spd; 1997 Fuji MX-200 21 Spd; 2010 Vilano SS/FG 46/16

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeybikes
Dismount and walk on the sidewalk if it's that scary.
Yeah, for 100 feet, my first thought is to ride that distance on the sidewalk and you should be able to see that far ahead for pedestrians. Otherwise hold off for the cars to get by you and then take the 3 feet of the curb & gutter. I never really could understand why a driver can't see a bike and then start planning the pass well in advance of pulling closer to the cyclist. I seem to do it every time and have no problems even taking a portion of the other lane in the space between those vehicles if there are cars even there. Just a matter of "reading the road ahead", not tailgating and turning my neck and using the mirrors to leave a cyclist plenty of room to make the pass when I'm driving. If the car in front of me passes like that, I leave enough room to pass the cyclist like they did. Tailgaters are too stupid to realize this, it's why everyone has to stop for no reason, rather than just slow down on the roadways in cars.
Old 05-09-11, 10:03 AM
.baker
Glass Blowin Pizza Maker

Bikes: '72 Varsity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fordmanvt
get on the sideride.
haha, i liked that a lot.

but more seriously if youre not comfortable taking the lane in a 45mph zone then this seems like your best bet.
Old 05-09-11, 10:06 AM
Keith99

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by oban_kobi
Slow down and wait for the light to turn red, then get in line. That's what I do at hairy intersections. Then you know the person behind you sees you, and you can keep up, at least for a bit.
I'd be inclined to use the light, but a bit differently. I'd just make sure I was the last one through. Making 100 feet to the bike lane start would then be easy.

For the OP, you could cross and wait, then go once the light is red.

I used a light in a similar way on PCH. There is a wide shoulder going south, until one gets to the Malibu colony, then it pinches out, but only for about 150 feet. That is true highway, 55 limit (at least) and few lights so drivers think in terms of being on open road. But using the light meant I was always off the nasty part before a car could be there.
Old 05-09-11, 10:42 AM
sggoodri

Bikes: 1983 Trek 500, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2023 Litespeed Watia

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gharp23
Take the lane,haul ass through the intersection and once you get past it move over to the right when you feel there is enough room for others to pass you and give everyone a friendly wave coming behind you . Any other way just seems too dangerous to me.
100 feet is about 3 or 4 seconds at speed on a bike, possibly enough time for just one driver to overtake. That's an infinitesimal amount of exposure time compared to the durations that many avid cyclists ride in travel lanes on 45 mph roads with narrow lanes over long distances, passed by many drivers, usually mid-block where they aren't paying as much attention. It's more on par with the exposure time involved with executing a left turn, something I often do on short segments of 45 mph roads with my 8 year old when we ride to an ice cream store together on one of our alternate routes, with no problems.
Old 05-09-11, 09:30 PM
Dunbar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I guess I'll have to grow a pair, stand up and hammer though the intersection and move back over. Not that I'm looking forward to it. BTW, there's no sidewalk past the intersection and the road curves before it gets to this intersection so the fast moving cars don't have a lot of time to identify a bicycle.
Old 05-09-11, 11:26 PM
teaboy1748

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
like other said re-route if possible.
if not than its best to lane control for your safety.
Old 05-10-11, 07:40 AM
rando

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Keith99
I'd be inclined to use the light, but a bit differently. I'd just make sure I was the last one through. Making 100 feet to the bike lane start would then be easy.

For the OP, you could cross and wait, then go once the light is red.

I used a light in a similar way on PCH. There is a wide shoulder going south, until one gets to the Malibu colony, then it pinches out, but only for about 150 feet. That is true highway, 55 limit (at least) and few lights so drivers think in terms of being on open road. But using the light meant I was always off the nasty part before a car could be there.
That's a really creative solution, I like it. this might be the way to go since there's no sidewalk past the light. but see if you can find another route that's quieter, too.

Cyclists fare best when they recognize that there are times when acting vehicularly is not the best practice, and are flexible enough to do what is necessary as the situation warrants.--Me
Old 05-10-11, 10:38 AM
Dunbar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If I die though I'm suing you guys.

The road curves before the intersection so you only have maybe 30-40 seconds to see the light before you're passing through it. Plus it's a long light with lots of fast moving traffic so it's not possible to time it.
Old 05-16-11, 08:52 PM
98TJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I came home from a recent ride into a six lane (two per direction, plus turning lanes) road. Had about a mile of this road to go before I could turn off.

No sidewalks.

What I did was ride with traffic on the far right AFTER looking back and making eye contact with the vehicle behind me. With several stoplights I had the chance to look at several people and make them notice me. A wave, a nod of the head, anything will work.

At a red light I would ride the gutter to the front and when the light went green I'd do as I do in the Jeep - look to see if anyone was turning on red before proceeding through the light.

The absolute best thing you can do is make eye contact, be predictable, and pay attention to your left and right as you pass through the intersection.
Old 05-16-11, 08:56 PM
98TJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I die though I'm suing you guys.

The road curves before the intersection so you only have maybe 30-40 seconds to see the light before you're passing through it. Plus it's a long light with lots of fast moving traffic so it's not possible to time it.
Plan ahead. Before it opens up to that turning lane you need to look back and make sure the vehicle behind you isn't going to move into the turning lane. Ride the right side of the thru lane and keep pedaling.

My biggest concern in that intersection would be people turning left on green (moving from my left to right) and people turning right on red (turning out from my right side to start moving in my direction of travel).

I'm constantly looking for people turning, merging, etc. Doesn't matter if I'm in a vehicle or on the bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.