Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Purchased Vintage Bottecchia - Now What?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Purchased Vintage Bottecchia - Now What?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-11, 10:39 AM
etane

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Actually my bike came with Universal 61 but not too happy with the stopping power. Not sure Super 68s will be an improvement over 61s in this regard?

I do like the look of the 68s better than the 61s. Not a fan of how center pull brakes look and perform at least not with my sample. Of course, it could be my brake pad. I have sanded the brake pads down a bit but haven't biked on it to try since I took off my old wheel (old 27") and my new tires for my new wheels haven't arrived yet.

I am not liking the way Tektros look either. I prefer the 68s over it.

Just checked the Shimano long reach and it only goes down to 57mm bout the same as the Modolo.
Old 05-16-11, 10:49 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
I used to have some Dia Compe centerpulls on my Univega Gran Turismo. New pads and I could easily skid stop in the rain.....in the rear!
So, yeah.....it's just your pads.

Aesthetically, if you're looking at sidepulls over centerpull, the Super 68's or the Tektro extra longs are all I can think of for you. It's an old bike with old geometry and clearances....hehe. Not a whole lot of options for you.

I'd shoot for the 68's, but then maybe Campy made some of the needed reach. I know nothing about Campy stuff.
Old 05-16-11, 05:13 PM
etane

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by thook
I used to have some Dia Compe centerpulls on my Univega Gran Turismo. New pads and I could easily skid stop in the rain.....in the rear!
So, yeah.....it's just your pads.

Aesthetically, if you're looking at sidepulls over centerpull, the Super 68's or the Tektro extra longs are all I can think of for you. It's an old bike with old geometry and clearances....hehe. Not a whole lot of options for you.

I'd shoot for the 68's, but then maybe Campy made some of the needed reach. I know nothing about Campy stuff.
Thanks for your help thook! I might give the 68s a try.
Old 05-19-11, 08:56 PM
michaeldaruwala

Bikes: Gios "Aerodynamic" with an electic mix of Campy and Cinelli parts. A custom made Chinook frame built by Bruce Gordon, using Columbus tubing and Cinelli lugs silver brazed. I have upgraded the components on this bike to Campy Chrorus 9 speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are drop bolts that you can get to lower the brakes, especially centre pull, no cold setting is required. good luck with your venture.
Old 05-21-11, 07:42 PM
etane

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by michaeldaruwala
There are drop bolts that you can get to lower the brakes, especially centre pull, no cold setting is required. good luck with your venture.
Hi Michael: Thank you for the suggestion on the drop bolts. I've actually been looking at them on ebay but they seem to only drop the brakes by about 6mms whereas I need bout a 13mm drop for the Modolo brakes to fit. Plus, drop bolts' going rate is a bit on the high side for the recent examples I've seen sold on ebay.
Old 05-21-11, 08:10 PM
etane

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Another update.

Received my new Conti 4000s tires that I purchased for my Fuji "fitness" bike. So, tried to move the Conti US tires from the Fuji to the Bottecchia. However, I couldn't get the 4000s onto the Fuji. The new tire couldn't fit on the Ultegra wheels on the Fuji, so I installed them on the Super Champion (rear) and Shimano R500 (front) on the Bottecchia to let it stretch out a bit. And, the ride is smooooth.

There were some chain chatter with the front derailleur. So, I played with the derailleur positioning a bit. Got it to where I think I like it and tightened the derailleur down. However, the bolt holding the derailleur broke. It has been corroded all the way through. Well, I was going to replace the FD anyways but now is higher on my priority list.

I found a few Nuovo Records on ebay I think that fits the bill. The criteria I am looking for is Campy 70-80's vintage with the braze-on bracket. I suppose this should cover my bases?

I really like the ride now after I swapped out the wheels from the 27" to the 700c. Now, one thing that surprise me is the 27" wheelset isn't that heavy compared to the 700c. I guess there are other factors involved maybe roll resistance or some other geometry issue. Also, for me to put the 700c rear wheel on, I have to deflate the tire first. At least I didn't have to remove the rear derailleur in order to put the wheel on as I had to in order to remove the 27" wheel.

Compared to the Olmo I test rode previously, I think the Bottecchia is almost as light and fast but definitely smoother. One thing I need is wider handlebars. Currently, I got 40mms and am used to 44mm. I need to learn how to remove and install brake lever and wiring first though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1.jpg (101.2 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg
2.jpg (93.7 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by etane; 05-21-11 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-02-11, 09:40 PM
etane

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just another update on the bike. Scraped off all the rust and corrosion as best as I can and polished with Simichrome where applicable. Rubbed some Quixx paint restoring/scratch remover, and some paint gloss is restored. Replaced chain (KMC), front derailleur (Campy 980), brake pads (VO) and wheelset (Super Champion/Campy). Also, Continental GP4000S are staying on the Super Champions now. I think the bike looks much nicer than a month ago and definitely rides better with stronger stopping power.

I currently have three wheels with Super Champion Gentleman 81 rims and Campy Record hubs. Two are rear and one is front. The hub on one of the rear has 120mm spacing with a 5 speed freewheel. The hub on the other rear wheel has 126mm spacing with no freewheel. One of these days, I have to do a transplant (after I learn how) to move the freewheel and 120mm axle from the first rear wheel to the second.

My front wheel's medium flange hubs matches the rear wheel's medium flange hub that currently has the 126mm spacing. The picture now depicts a rear wheel with low flange hubs and a front wheel with medium flange hubs. I don't think anyone would notice if I didn't point that out? Well, the picture doesn't have good angle on the hubs.

Stopping power with the new VO cartridges and pads is respectable now. On most modern bikes, I hardly ever use the front brakes unless it's an emergency stopping situation. I can get away with only using the rear brakes on the Bottecchia now. However, for a solid stop, I still need to use both front and back brakes. Speaking of brakes, I haven't replaced the center pull Universals yet because I CANNOT remove the rear brake from the brake mount! I can twist it left and right by about 5-10 degrees.

I think the bolt that goes through the brake mount is fused with the frame. I was able to chisel away the corrosion that surrounded the area the bolt is touching the mounting hole and squirt some Super Lube into it. Still no luck getting the bolt to loosen up. I will pick up some PB Blaster later on. I can live with the center pull brakes though. Irritates me that I can't remove the brakes and install one of those rear racks that attaches to the rear brake mount.

Can I install a rear rack by attaching the rack to the seat binding post? I see some hole what looks like is for rear rack installation at the rear wheel dropouts. I thought I could get one of those Tubus racks that has attachment adapters for bikes without eyelets. But, it looks like maybe I can get away with a basic rack but with road bike chain stay clearance.

As explained in previous post, the front derailleur that came with the bike is corroded. So, I replaced it with a NOS Campy FD. The model is 980. It doesn't seem to garner any respect on ebay. I got it for $5.50, $10 including shipping. Well, it looks good and works great. It's very easy to install and adjust even more so than both my Fuji's 105 and Dura-Ace FDs. Took me maybe 5 minutes to install and adjust once I got it out of the box. About 90% reduction in chain chatter compared to the old FD.

I also purchased a water bottle cage and clamp from Velo Orange. The clamp is too small for my down tube and seat tube though. Both measures about 29mm. Another sign my bike is an odd duck or the clamp is simply too small? So, no water bottle for now.

What's left? Thinking about an aero fluted seat post, a new handle bar, stem, brake levers/hood and handle bar tape. Current handle bar is 40cm. I have 44cm on my other bikes. I am guessing the 40cm is more compatible with pista riding posture? A wider handle bar will allow me more room to install things on it such as a water bottle cage holder or an Origin8 Joe-2-Go. And, I simply am used to the leverage of a wider handle bar. I also don't like the current bar tape because it's covered with shellac. It's not pleasant feeling. I have yet to learn how to install and uninstall brake levers though, so these are put off for awhile. A shiny NOS rear derailleur wouldn't hurt either. Oh, and, of course, a rear rack.

Last edited by etane; 06-02-11 at 10:07 PM.
Old 06-03-11, 06:17 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Liked 3,098 Times in 1,580 Posts
it looks terrific! very nice job

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 07-22-11, 08:05 PM
etane

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bike's done. Again, thanks to everyone for your help in figuring out what to do with this bike. I fortunately am able to find employment really close to where I live. So, this bike will be used as a commuter hence the addition of the rack and crankset with chain-guard.

Here's a list of everything added or changed out on the bike.

1) Handlebar - 3TTT Ergo metallic gray color 42mm

2) Fizik tape

3) Campagnolo 980 front derailleur

4) Campagnolo Nuovo Record rear derailleur

5) Super Champion Gentleman 700c 36h rim with Campagnolo Super Record mid flange hubs

6) Lezyne Power Rack - silver

7) Cardiff Cornwall black leather seat with steel rivets

8) Velo Orange Polyvalent crankset

9) MKS GR8 pedals and toe-clips with Zefal straps

10) Velo Orange metallic braid brake cables

11) Grand Chu straddle cable rollers

12) Dia Compe straddle cables

13) Velo Orange brake and cartridge

14) Modolo Speedy brake levers - metallic gray with white gum hood

15) Velo Orange front brake cable stop

Here are some pics:

Attached Images