Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Experience For Yourselves What It Is Like To Cycle In Southern California

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-11, 05:29 PM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

https://abclocal.go.com/kabc/video?id=8141680

In other threads I have posted, especially on this forum, I noticed that people don't or can't simply "get it" as far as what it is like riding a bike in Southern California verses where ever else they call home. I chose this video from our local ABC station reporting on our Bike To Work Day which was yesterday to help others get a good feel what it is like for cyclists here. I felt that it summarizes beautifully why people just don't or won't ride a bike especially on a surface public street here interviewing "average" people who are not rabid cyclist-reformers, activists, or other hard core warrior types.

The reporter rode the full distance for almost 30 miles from her residence to the ABC studios. It took her about 4 hours to do it. Hence our dependence on the private auto being so spread out geographically plus whatever public transit there is is usually not directly in line from your residence to work. Keep in mind she had unseen support from a news helicopter hovering overhead and most likely a news van following her. Which most of us around here don't have that luxury as we usually have to detour or walk your bike across traffic rather than what she did doing a left hand turn like a car (I only get to do that now during a holiday). It seems to me at least this provided a "heads up" to traffic alerting them she was passing through. Everyone else who are non-celebrities and/or are currently not in political office are still so much invisible potential roadkill to the jaded overwhelmed drivers with mental blinders on.

Last edited by folder fanatic; 05-21-11 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-20-11, 06:18 PM
Smallwheels

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
How much of that four hour trip was taken up doing interviews? Probably over an hour if she didn't ride slowly.

She didn't really make riding a bicycle sound very easy with her comment about it taking four hours to do it. Sure she made other comments about it being manageable and easy but the last comment probably put a nail in the coffin of bicycle commuting in the eyes of many viewers.
Old 05-20-11, 11:56 PM
sharrn

Commuting in Southern California easy? hah.

Old 05-21-11, 12:31 AM
Dean7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Further proof that southern California is ****ed.
Old 05-21-11, 03:30 AM
Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
A view from overseas.

Nice weather. Do people in the U.S. really take these 'special' days seriously? Four hours seems very slow. Is 30 miles normal to get to work?

Why was there a gate on the entrance to the cycle path? Carrying a surfboard on a bike looks dangerous but cool.

All in all the danger per mile factor didn't look any greater than my own commute but I live a lot closer to work.
Old 05-21-11, 09:17 AM
Underground
Ride On.

Bikes: 2010 Trek 1.5, 2010 Specialized Langster, 2010 Specialized Hardrock Sport 29er, 2011 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, visiting Dublin myself, I'd much rather ride over there than here in the states. Over here, the tendency is to build out, not up. There is a lot of land around here, so why bother building up? Because of that, the city is spread out quite far and I'd have to ride about 30 miles to take a "safer" route to work (driving distance is 23miles). My issue is my schedule, 12 hour shifts plus a 20-30 mile bicycle ride, I just don't have the time to ride to work, especially if I want to spend time with my family.

They often put gates on the paths because some of them close at dusk. Several paths around here, the locks go up at dusk and do not open again until 7am. I am not a big fan of it myself.
Old 05-21-11, 10:23 AM
Robert Foster
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

https://www.gallup.com/poll/28504/workers-average-commute-roundtrip-minutes-typical-day.aspx

Older study but times are about the same.

https://zipatlas.com/

This site has all kinds of information as well as longestcommutes in the US.
Old 05-21-11, 12:00 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Yeah, you angelenos got it rough: Perfect weather, flat terrain, wide outer lanes, bike lanes, bike trails, little street parking, lots of other cyclists to keep you company.....I don't know how you survive your life in paradise!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 05-21-11, 12:14 PM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
Yeah, you angelenos got it rough: Perfect weather, flat terrain, wide outer lanes, bike lanes, bike trails, little street parking, lots of other cyclists to keep you company.....I don't know how you survive your life in paradise!
But, you must admit, thirty miles each way is a hell of a long commute, no matter how paradisiacal the surroundings might be.
Old 05-21-11, 12:18 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by Ekdog
But, you must admit, thirty miles each way is a hell of a long commute, no matter how paradisiacal the surroundings might be.
That has nothing to do with it being LA. People everywhere have long commutes, if that's what they want. I work with several people who commute 60 miles to work (one-way), and one who goes 80. I'm not going to feel sorry for them, when it's their own choice.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 05-21-11, 01:54 PM
Robert Foster
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That has nothing to do with it being LA. People everywhere have long commutes, if that's what they want. I work with several people who commute 60 miles to work (one-way), and one who goes 80. I'm not going to feel sorry for them, when it's their own choice.
It is rough. Sometimes we even see places that get rain and snow on TV and it scares us. I used to commute by Bicycle about 25 miles one way from the OC to outer LA. Total ride time one way was about an hour and fifteen minutes to an hour and a half. I did this for about 4 years. However if that commute were the 60 or 80 miles your co-workers have that might have put cycling out of range for me.
Old 05-21-11, 04:04 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by Robert Foster
It is rough. Sometimes we even see places that get rain and snow on TV and it scares us. I used to commute by Bicycle about 25 miles one way from the OC to outer LA. Total ride time one way was about an hour and fifteen minutes to an hour and a half. I did this for about 4 years. However if that commute were the 60 or 80 miles your co-workers have that might have put cycling out of range for me.
I hope it was clear in my previous post that the 60/80 mile commuters I know use cars!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 05-21-11, 05:16 PM
Robert Foster
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I hope it was clear in my previous post that the 60/80 mile commuters I know use cars!
I was thinking it might be. What interests me is when reviewing this topic I discovered that for the most part the longer commute times were in the East and tended to be the larger old cities. It also seems as if the average commute in the US is close to 30 minutes and that 85 percent of the population does that commute by car. So I wasn't surprised at all that the woman had a 30 mile commute. I was surprised it took 4 hours but not about the miles.
Old 05-21-11, 07:24 PM
CabezaShok

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You forgot to mention smog so bad it burns your eyes, throat and lungs, sidewalks/roads caked with homeless people's feces, urine and lung-butter...all of which hangs around all year until it rains.
Old 05-21-11, 08:10 PM
Smallwheels

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hollywood, Glendale, and other parts of the Los Angeles area are definitely not flat. Hills are everywhere.
Old 05-21-11, 08:43 PM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Smallwheels
Hollywood, Glendale, and other parts of the Los Angeles area are definitely not flat. Hills are everywhere.
Agreed. Many names of the communities here reflect this: Highland Park, City Terrace, Baldwin Hills, etc.
Old 05-21-11, 09:11 PM
countersTrike
Recumbent Trike

Bikes: WizWheelz TerraTrike with Velo-Kit & 24V motor, completely enclosed (fiberglass/kevlar & Lexan) EZ SX Tad with 36V motor

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CabezaShok
You forgot to mention smog so bad it burns your eyes, throat and lungs, sidewalks/roads caked with homeless people's feces, urine and lung-butter...all of which hangs around all year until it rains.
We don't have the smog as much in coastal central CA., but we are part of the homeless travelers going from San Francisco to Los Angeles. I guess we are famous for our Sidewalk Sit & Lie groups, panhandling bums, peeing and dropping bombs on our streets. Crowding has sure hit the state.
Old 05-21-11, 09:51 PM
CabezaShok

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by countersTrike
We don't have the smog as much in coastal central CA., but we are part of the homeless travelers going from San Francisco to Los Angeles. I guess we are famous for our Sidewalk Sit & Lie groups, panhandling bums, peeing and dropping bombs on our streets. Crowding has sure hit the state.
At least in Nor Cal has frequent rains to wash it all into the sea. Add to that toxic brake+tire dust, from millions of automobiles trucks motorcycles....this dust circulates in the air until rainy season. Brake dust causes cancer.
Old 05-22-11, 12:50 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Gosh it's a miracle that so many of you have survived.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 05-22-11, 01:33 PM
Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Underground
They often put gates on the paths because some of them close at dusk. Several paths around here, the locks go up at dusk and do not open again until 7am. I am not a big fan of it myself.
Why do some of them close at dusk? Town parks that have fences around them in Dublin are locked at night but I've never heard of a cycle path being locked. Is it something to do with anti-social behaviour?
Old 05-22-11, 02:19 PM
travelmama

Bikes: Kona Ute, Nishiki 4130, Trek 7000, K2 Mach 1.0, Novara Randonee, Schwinn Loop, K2 Zed 1.0, Schwinn Cream, Torker Boardwalk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The clip was rather weak and not very bike friendly. It would have been nice if the reporter could have just ridden straight through without stopping to chat or if she would have added more positive responses to it. Also, she could have saved time on her journey by jumping on the Red line to the Yellow line then riding to Glendale. She is definitely not the right person to commute to work for work.
Old 05-22-11, 03:37 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Caretaker
Why do some of them close at dusk? Town parks that have fences around them in Dublin are locked at night but I've never heard of a cycle path being locked. Is it something to do with anti-social behaviour?
Yes. I used to routinely break the law by using a MUP (multi use path) to get from where I worked to home late at night. Many cycle paths in the US are in reality MUP's and are part of a park that closes at dark. Don't know how much has to do with anti-social behaviour, probably more to do with potential lawsuits and liability.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 05-22-11, 04:21 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by wahoonc
Yes. I used to routinely break the law by using a MUP (multi use path) to get from where I worked to home late at night. Many cycle paths in the US are in reality MUP's and are part of a park that closes at dark. Don't know how much has to do with anti-social behaviour, probably more to do with potential lawsuits and liability.

Aaron
That's an important point. Many of these MUPs are classified as parks, funded as parks and regulated as parks. They are often inadequate as bicycle transportation facilities. However, some communities count them as bike facilities and brag that MUPs are part of their non-motor plan or their complete streets project. Don't let your city get away with this!

IMO an adequate bike transportation facility should include:
  • paved surface wide enough for two-abreast riding and overtaking
  • bikes ONLY--no peds. skaters, golf carts, etc.
  • appropriate signs and pavement markings
  • zero or minimum interaction with motor traffic
  • efficient connection of desired destinations

If most of those considerations are lacking, I'd rather just ride on the streets.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 05-22-11, 06:43 PM
Dahon.Steve

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by travelmama
The clip was rather weak and not very bike friendly. It would have been nice if the reporter could have just ridden straight through without stopping to chat or if she would have added more positive responses to it. Also, she could have saved time on her journey by jumping on the Red line to the Yellow line then riding to Glendale. She is definitely not the right person to commute to work for work.
The clip was not to promote bike commuting but to show how long and difficult the process can can be for the average commuter. The only reason it was news worthy was the extreame amount of miles covered in an attempt to make the show interesting. However, it's news articles like this that scare people from bike commuting in the first place.

So now that you seen superwoman spend four hours commuting, you're better off staying in your car. Be safe.
Old 05-22-11, 07:01 PM
CabezaShok

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gosh it's a miracle that so many of you have survived.

And twice as many homicides and rapes as NYC.....https://www.areaconnect.com/crime/com...+angeles&s2=CA
I only wish my commute was in little-bo-peep Indiana.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.