Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Helmets cramp my Style - part n+1

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Helmets cramp my Style - part n+1

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-11, 12:52 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Liked 8,019 Times in 4,262 Posts
Wow! The "splatter" two-page spread reminds me of :

Old 05-22-11, 12:53 PM
mconlonx

Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by 98TJ
I'm going to throw this out here; my story of one time where I didn't wear a helmet. It's in the current issue of Dirt Rag (issue 156)
...oh no you di'n't just come into this thread and post your unsupported by fact, first-hand experience, IRL, anecdotal nonsense...

:
Old 05-22-11, 01:18 PM
98TJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
...oh no you di'n't just come into this thread and post your unsupported by fact, first-hand experience, IRL, anecdotal nonsense...

:

Old 05-22-11, 01:23 PM
mconlonx

Wow, that sucks.

...and you think a helmet would have helped out with that...?
Old 05-22-11, 01:30 PM
98TJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, that sucks.

...and you think a helmet would have helped out with that...?
Without a doubt.
Old 05-22-11, 02:40 PM
Six jours

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
C'mon, mconlox, you know that nothing bad can possibly happen to a cyclist who's wearing a helmet.
Old 05-22-11, 02:58 PM
mconlonx

Originally Posted by Six jours
C'mon, mconlox, you know that nothing bad can possibly happen to a cyclist who's wearing a helmet.
Really?!? I hear they die and/or get head injuries, too...
Old 05-22-11, 04:20 PM
Six jours

No. Never. When was the last time you saw somebody post here about how they were wearing a helmet and got killed in a fall?
Old 05-22-11, 09:29 PM
silmarillion

Bikes: 2012 Cinelli Mystic Rat, Nashbar CX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You know, I personally wear a helmet. That's my choice. I don't really know if it helps me out much if I'm hit from behind at 50+ mph and end up in the car seat next to the driver.

One thing I would like to say is this...One thing that is a peeve of mine is when I see people wearing a helmet, and it's hiked back on the riders head like Dale Rodgers cowgirl hat exposing all of the frontal lobe. Whats the point of wearing a helmet if you aren't going to wear it properly? I don't normally like to tell people what to do...but if I see the kids in the neighborhood riding like that,, I will usually stop them and explain why we wear helmets in the first place. I try to encourage them to think about their own safety..

Hi six, I do have a friend who is still recovering from an endo he did nearly 3 years ago. It injured his spine, and he has been working very hard to regain the use of his lower motor skills. Doctors say that if he didn't have his helmet on, the impact on his skull in the crash would have killed him. He hit the front part (frontal lobe) of his skull on the hard ground while riding a single track just north of Atlanta. He had to be life-flighted to the hospital because the damage to the spine had effected his ability to breathe on his own.
Old 05-22-11, 11:40 PM
kludgefudge

Bikes: late 80's bianchi campion d'italia, early 90's trek 2100, early 90's shogun selectra, mid 90's aluminum marin xcMTB, dept. store grade but upgraded columbia double eagle tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
i like

Be careful when speeding down hill on your antique. Be sure to listen for a guy on a "clown bike" yelling ---on your left--- and speeding by.
...Only to be passed by said antique rider a few minutes later when the terrain turns up hill instead of down.

But you wouldn't know anything about climbing hills, would you, what with being from Nebraska....

Edit: One more thing; the accepted shorthand for "I like to bike" is "ILTB", not "I like". Get with the program! And on a similar note, I preferr "fudge" to "kludge"

Last edited by kludgefudge; 05-22-11 at 11:45 PM.
Old 05-23-11, 07:09 AM
berserker19

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Put the bike in my car yesterday and drove out to the trails to do some cyclocross training. Accidentally left my helmet at home, decided to ride anyways. I have a TERRIBLE sunburn on my forehead and upper ears... I certainly would not have sustained these debilitating injuries had I worn my helmet.
Old 05-23-11, 07:20 AM
closetbiker

Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts

<graphic shock-inducing photo>

the trouble with posting pics like that is that anyone can post the same pic from someone who was wearing a helmet at the time of injury.

Someone can also post pics like that from falls that came from being off the bike as well.

Posting pics like that is a display of an immature and incomplete understanding of the limitations of helmets, and the risks we all run, all day long.
Old 05-23-11, 08:21 AM
closetbiker

Originally Posted by silmarillion
...One thing that is a peeve of mine is when I see people wearing a helmet, and it's hiked back ... Whats the point of wearing a helmet if you aren't going to wear it properly?
There's no point in wearing it if it isn't worn properly, and it's not jst poor position on the head that can be wrong, straps are often poorly adjusted, far too loose, or not even done up

I don't normally like to tell people what to do...but if I see the kids in the neighborhood riding like that,, I will usually stop them and explain why we wear helmets in the first place. I try to encourage them to think about their own safety..
maybe helping them with getting them to ride more safely would help matters more. Ahelmet is a means to an end, not the end itself

Hi six, I do have a friend who is still recovering from an endo he did nearly 3 years ago. It injured his spine, and he has been working very hard to regain the use of his lower motor skills. Doctors say that if he didn't have his helmet on, the impact on his skull in the crash would have killed him...
I call BS on the docs. Anything can happen, but what does happen is what most often happens, and the impact forces from an endo rarely causes death. Cyclists nearly always die from impacts with motor vehicles, whether they're wearing a helmet or not.

Most docs buy into the 85/88% promotional material funded by the helmet industry and know very little about those numbers. If they did understand more about that bit of promo,they wouldn't be making such claims.
Old 05-23-11, 09:25 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
It would seem to me that anyone that has over 20,000 posts on this site would fit the definition of a troll. It indicates that they cant or wont let any post that doesnt agree with them go unchallenged.
well you're also the guy who thinks people are trying to convince you to ride without a helmet, so it's hardly surprising that you have lots of other wacky, incorrect theories too.

Now please, quit trying to make me ride a hammock, you anti-wedgie people are really persistent!
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 05-23-11, 09:27 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I really need to stop enabling your behaviors, but I note that your "posts per day" number is quite similar to Chips. Beyond that, I note that Chip tends to address a variety of subjects while your posting seems limited to proselytizing about your clown bike and trolling the helmet thread.

Chip does have one mark against him, though: he's an able-bodied man, so he doesn't have a reasonable excuse to spend all day on the internet.
He hates me cuz I'm purdy
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 05-23-11, 09:53 AM
Six jours

Originally Posted by silmarillion
Hi six, I do have a friend who is still recovering from an endo he did nearly 3 years ago. It injured his spine, and he has been working very hard to regain the use of his lower motor skills. Doctors say that if he didn't have his helmet on, the impact on his skull in the crash would have killed him. He hit the front part (frontal lobe) of his skull on the hard ground while riding a single track just north of Atlanta. He had to be life-flighted to the hospital because the damage to the spine had effected his ability to breathe on his own.
Several problems here. The main one is that helmets don't do anything to protect the spine. For that you need a neck protector, commonly worn by downhill mountain bike racers. If we were serious about safety - rather than just being fashion lemmings - we'd be wearing serious safety gear, not just a few ounces of Styrofoam.

Another problem, as noted by CB, is that doctors have absolutely no training in understanding the dynamics of bicycle helmets in crashes. They are no more qualified to discuss their effects than any other Joe off the street.
Old 05-23-11, 10:24 AM
closetbiker

Another problem, as noted by CB, is that doctors have absolutely no training in understanding the dynamics of bicycle helmets in crashes. They are no more qualified to discuss their effects than any other Joe off the street.
and when someone who is qualified (as the director of one of the largest helmet testing labs in the world) make a few statements like,

The tests that cycle helmets currently go through mean that they should offer similar protection to a pedestrian who trips and falls to the ground.

and that the earlier and superior helmet standards, were principally concerned with protecting from falls from a cycle without any third party involvement, and generally at lower speeds...

the standard specifies requirements for helmets intended for use by pedal cyclists on ordinary roads, particularly by young riders in the 5 years to 14 years age group, but which may also be suitable for off the road. It is not intended for high-speed or long distance cycling, or for riders taking part in competitive events...

the docs are blissfully unaware.

Helmets mitigate injury from the type of simple falls that rarely result in death, something ignorant doctors should educate themselves about so as to not give out bad advice and opinion.

But don't take the directors word for it. He only upholds the standards to which the industry is held. It's not like he knows anything about the subject, like some docs do.

Last edited by closetbiker; 05-23-11 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-23-11, 10:47 AM
Six jours

Originally Posted by chipcom
He hates me cuz I'm purdy
Huh. I'm pretty sure I woke up next to you once.
Old 05-23-11, 11:13 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Huh. I'm pretty sure I woke up next to you once.
Not unless you had the arm you chewed off reattached.
Old 05-23-11, 12:36 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
Not unless you had the arm you chewed off reattached.

Damn my eyes, Chip your UC bar dancing song would be this one.

Old 05-23-11, 06:12 PM
mconlonx

Originally Posted by closetbiker
blah, blah, blah
Awwwww yyyeeeaaahhhhh, now tha's what I'm talkin' 'bout!

You go, girlfriend--you tell that brain-injured cyclist a thing or two about helmet use!
Old 05-23-11, 06:37 PM
closetbiker

You go, girlfriend--you tell that brain-injured cyclist a thing or two about helmet use!
Can't argue with real world results (although those who base their belief on faith, will)
Old 05-23-11, 07:16 PM
Six jours

Does falling off a bicycle make one a bicycle safety expert?
Old 05-24-11, 07:02 PM
RazrSkutr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Without a doubt.
Says the brain-injured guy. Yeah. Guess I'll take your word over that of the hundreds of thousands of counter example statistics.
Old 05-24-11, 07:03 PM
RazrSkutr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Did you get that display stand in for the menthol cigarettes yet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.