Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Favorite mod or accessory

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-11, 10:32 PM
Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

I`ve got a few bikes and they`re all different and each has its own charm, But switching from one to another really brings to my attention some small but important differences and there are some things I`d do to any bike in the future and some accessories that I`d add to more than one bike. I`m sure everyone with more than one bike has their own favorites and I`d like to hear about them.

Cut down flatbars:
Since I`m driving in the city and don`t need the mechanical advantage of wide bars - the bars on my mtb and hybrid have been cut down to the minimum possible width. There`s just enough bar left to mount controls, grips and bar ends. Makes getting through doorways easier, makes the stance more aero and doesn`t affect stability at all. I`d do that again!

Taped over bar-ends:
Ended up taping over my barends with roadie bar tape and found the result more comfortable in both hot and cold weather. I`d do that again!

Ergonomic grips:
Tried a few different kinds of ergonomic lock-on grips and aren`t interested in going back to regular grips ever! My favorates are Ergon GC3s which incorporate their own bar ends which are even better when taped over. I`d do that again too!
Old 05-22-11, 12:15 AM
commo_soulja

Bikes: are fun to ride

Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
*ding, ding, ding* an incredibell on the handlebars *ding, ding, ding*
Old 05-22-11, 07:12 AM
wiredfoxterror

Bikes: 2006 Trek Rail 2007 Diamondback Dellacruz 1.0 2009 Trek Lime 2009 Jamis Boss Cruiser 7 1980s Nishiki Road Bike 1993 Cannondale R700 (Criterium) 1993 Cannondale V1000 1995 Cannondale M1000 1996 Cannondale Killer V900 1996 Cannondale M900 CAD3 1997 Ca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I switch off using different types of bikes. I HAVE to have ergo grips - rapid fire shifters are the way to go for shifting bikes - no cranky cranks. I sold my crank forward bikes because it took too much adjusting to get used to it again each time I rode any of them. I'm thinking about trekking bars for a couple of my bikes......
Old 05-22-11, 07:28 AM
xizangstan

Location: Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama

Bikes: Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a vintage GT Xizang mountain bike, and on her I do have the Ergon grips with the carbon bar ends. I also have the carbon riser bar with Shimano Rapid-Fire XTR shifters, and they're all great. I even have a Brooks titanium Pro saddle on a carbon post. And yes, I have a ding-dingy with a built-in compass, plus a Night Rider computer out there on the carbon bars. Shimano XTR SPD pedals with plastic platform inserts on one side of each. All the good stuff.

But probably my favorite item is my custom-built titanium rear rack. About a year ago, Black Sheep Cycles in Ft. Collins, Colorado built a rear rack for me, out of thick gauge titanium tubing. I've been studying the thing for a year now, and I still can't find any flaws or imperfections. And the thing is so durable, a 300-lb. friend once sat on it and the only thing that happened was the front wheel tried to come up!

Yeah, a custom-built rear rack has made my prized bike perfection in metal.

Last edited by xizangstan; 05-22-11 at 07:32 AM.
Old 05-22-11, 07:37 AM
clasher

Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
One of my favourite accessory is a front mudflap... feet stay much drier but more importantly there is far less crap in my chain now. I went the homemade route but I've seen fancy leather ones for sale.
Old 05-22-11, 08:01 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
I love fiddling with my bikes. Nothing stays stock for very long.

My all time favorite was putting a compact double crankset on my Klein road bike. That took away a couple of high speed gears that I never used and replaced them with a couple of hill climb gears that I desperately needed.

I'm also a fan of incredibells for bike paths. I find they are about 75% effective while remaining unobtrusive.

I was interested in the comments about the Ergon grips. My beater may get a set of those. I'm thinking they might also let me cut an additional 3/4" off each end of the handlebar.
Old 05-22-11, 08:21 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Fenders, Lights and racks. All the bikes I ride regularly have dyno powered LED lights on them. My other favorite accessory is the AXA Defender rear wheel ring lock with the plug in optional chain. I treat many of my bikes like a second car, I want them ready to go at a moment's notice in any kind of weather at any time of day or night. I also love Brooks saddles...

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 05-22-11, 11:52 AM
surfrider

By far, my favorite mod is putting on a crankset with 170mm pedal arms. Bikes in my size tend to come with 175mm crank arms, and changing the crankset makes riding a whole lot more comfortable. After stumbling across this by chance (a friend had done this to one of his bicycles) I've done it to two used bicycles I've bought in the past two years, and an older bicycle I was rebuilding.

Other favorite mods depend on what a specific the bike is used for; drop bars on my MTB and SS, and fenders on my commuter.

Old 05-22-11, 12:20 PM
daven1986

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
A mirror and crank brothers pedals.
Old 05-22-11, 12:34 PM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Dinotte zombieburners front and back.
Old 05-22-11, 01:00 PM
mr geeker
Day trip lover

Bikes: '16 Giant Escape 3 (fair weather ride), Giant Quasar (work in progress), 2002 saturn vue (crap weather ride)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my trekking bars. that or my coffee cup holder. its a toss up between the 2.
Old 05-22-11, 02:06 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by surfrider
By far, my favorite mod is putting on a crankset with 170mm pedal arms. Bikes in my size tend to come with 175mm crank arms, and changing the crankset makes riding a whole lot more comfortable. After stumbling across this by chance (a friend had done this to one of his bicycles) I've done it to two used bicycles I've bought in the past two years, and an older bicycle I was rebuilding.

Other favorite mods depend on what a specific the bike is used for; drop bars on my MTB and SS, and fenders on my commuter.
My most comfortable road bike has 170mm cranks. And a 66cm CTT Seat Tube. Super comfortable over long distances.

Lights are the most important accessory for me. I ride on lit roads, so I only need see-me lights, but in the busy Northeast Corridor, they're a must when commuting in the dark or in marginal light.
Old 05-22-11, 02:25 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
Hub generator in the front wheel..
Old 05-22-11, 04:11 PM
Big_e
Strong with the Fred

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I reached in my spare parts box and put my SPD SL pedals back on after swearing off of them. I think I like them better now! I also like my new Catseye Velo 5 speedometer.
When I bicycle around the lake, I sometimes get tired and fall in behind a rider ahead and end up playing follow-the-leader. The speedometer lets me know that I'm slowing down and I need to pick up the pace.
Old 05-22-11, 06:10 PM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
The custom made lay back seat post really made my Cruiser easy/comfortable to ride.

Funny thing is for the good a lay back post can do in making a bike easy to ride quality post are very hard to find which is why I had to have one made to my specs.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 05-22-11, 08:00 PM
AlmostGreenGuy
Intrepid Bicycle Commuter

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, Austro Daimler 'Ultima', 2012 Salsa Vaya, 2009 Trek 4300, Fyxation Eastside, State Matte Black 6, '97 Trek 930 SHX, '93 Specialized Rockhopper, 1990 Trek 950

Liked 94 Times in 34 Posts
My absolute best of the best no-regret accessories:

Brooks B68 saddle

Mountain Mirrycle mirror

Power Grips:

Kenda K-Rads

ODI Rogue Grips

Bell Muni helmet

Pearl Izumi Elite Tri Shorts

Dakine Apex hydration pack

Planet Bike Comp floor pump
Old 05-22-11, 09:51 PM
xenologer

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Brake Boosters
instant additional brakeing power, but why doesn't anyone manufature the anymore....
Old 05-22-11, 10:02 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
I cannot really nail down a single favorite mod since they all serve a useful purpose, and each one can be my favorite depending on the time and situation.

Old 05-23-11, 09:34 AM
alienbogey

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail Sport Disc, Brompton M6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. Brooks saddle
2. Kickstand
3. Fenders
Old 05-24-11, 08:12 AM
Glynis27
Spinning @ 33 RPM

Bikes: '89 Fuji Saratoga, '97 Schwinn Mesa SS, '07 Felt F1X, '10 Transition TransAM, '11 Soma Analog SS

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Fenders, especially this wet, wet spring. A good headlight lets me ride as fast at night as I do in the day.
Old 05-24-11, 01:59 PM
daven1986

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Oh yeah mudguards too