Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Bike sale frenzy

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Bike sale frenzy

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-11, 01:35 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Bike sale frenzy

So, three weeks ago I picked up a new 2009 Felt X:City-D (1x8) for a song to be my rain bike. Converted to drops and smaller tires and tested her in a downpour yesterday. She did great. I also have another road bike that gets most of the commuting work, but the Felt rides oh so nice.

Now, Nashbar has this once a decade sale on bikes and frames, free shipping, even oversize. I thought I'd build me up a nice crosser from the frame and fork, but I happened by the Nashbar flat bar road bike and instantly regretted the Felt purchase. For the same price I get a decent crank, mini-V brakes, 9 speeds, and a carbon fork. Slap some commuting cowhorn bars on there, cover neatly with bar tape, and I'm set. Upgrades over the summer.

The bike arrives in a week. All I need now is another set of hooks to screw into the garage ceiling.

What have you purchased recently?
Old 05-19-11, 01:42 PM
monsterpile
This bike is cat approved

Bikes: To many to list...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was tempted by the Nashbar cross bike now that I can get free shipping and its just $499 in the latest catalog. I don't really have the money AND I don't need another bike.
Old 05-19-11, 01:47 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by monsterpile
I was tempted by the Nashbar cross bike now that I can get free shipping and its just $499 in the latest catalog. I don't really have the money AND I don't need another bike.
You are a pillar of discipline. My fail resulted in a third bike. I'll see what the CL brings for the Felt since it was on deep discount to begin with. I should be able to get more for it than I spent as it was converted using parts laying around my garage.
Old 05-19-11, 01:59 PM
monsterpile
This bike is cat approved

Bikes: To many to list...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RTDub
You are a pillar of discipline. My fail resulted in a third bike. I'll see what the CL brings for the Felt since it was on deep discount to begin with. I should be able to get more for it than I spent as it was converted using parts laying around my garage.
LOL You have no idea how many bikes I have around here. I would hate to order another bike the folks at work would wonder what the heck is going on. I have received 2 bikes in the past couple weeks, a Windsor Clockwork that I ended up selling just a couple days later because it just wasn't for me and one of the prototype Nano's that BD sent out in November that I bought from a BF memeber. In addition to the bikes I have received a couple largish sized boxes of bike parts in that time frame. I wish I could sell a couple of the bikes that are on CL.
Old 05-19-11, 02:44 PM
waynesworld
Papaya King

Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So, three weeks ago I picked up a new 2009 Felt X:City-D (1x8) for a song to be my rain bike. Converted to drops and smaller tires and tested her in a downpour yesterday. She did great. I also have another road bike that gets most of the commuting work, but the Felt rides oh so nice.

Now, Nashbar has this once a decade sale on bikes and frames, free shipping, even oversize. I thought I'd build me up a nice crosser from the frame and fork, but I happened by the Nashbar flat bar road bike and instantly regretted the Felt purchase. For the same price I get a decent crank, mini-V brakes, 9 speeds, and a carbon fork. Slap some commuting cowhorn bars on there, cover neatly with bar tape, and I'm set. Upgrades over the summer.

The bike arrives in a week. All I need now is another set of hooks to screw into the garage ceiling.

That Felt is a great bike. It's what I commute on. I have the stock bars, and like them. Stock tires too. I got mine on clearance in late 2009, and thought it was cheap then, but it must have been dirt cheap now.
Old 05-19-11, 04:22 PM
waynesworld
Papaya King

Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
BTW, what are you doing with those Felt Albert bars? They're sort of like a more rounded Mary style bar. I like them a lot.
Old 05-20-11, 08:16 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by waynesworld
BTW, what are you doing with those Felt Albert bars? They're sort of like a more rounded Mary style bar. I like them a lot.
They are sitting in my garage, in line for the Craigs List. PM me if you're interested!
Old 05-20-11, 08:22 AM
waynesworld
Papaya King

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
They are sitting in my garage, in line for the Craigs List. PM me if you're interested!
Thanks, but I don't think I have an application for them at the moment. There was a thread not long ago, where someone wanted to try something like them. I could maybe put them on my old MTB, but I have no idea whether they would work with the quill stem.
Old 05-21-11, 07:41 AM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well I was about to ***** again about Nashbars cross frame being 130mm spacing. I have enough parts here to build a bike with 135 spacing Dirt drops and bar ends. Well they brought back the 135 spaced frame.

Hmmmmmm you suck for posting this I really DON'T need another bike. LOL
Old 05-21-11, 09:17 PM
quazimodo

Bikes: 2006 Madone 5.2, Trek 7600 Multitrack, Trek Soho DLX, GT Ruckus DX, Pashley Speed-5 (soon)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I sprung for the GT Ruckus DX. I have been keeping my eye out for a decent priced mountain bike. I love it so far. My wife is now wondering when I will be building ramps in the back yard ; )
Old 05-21-11, 09:40 PM
Fairmont
Out

Bikes: two-wheelers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My rain bike is my car.
Old 05-23-11, 10:40 AM
Praxis
Not a legend

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My rain bike is my bike.
Old 02-21-15, 01:19 PM
Mwthomson3@gmai

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Felt X-city D

Hi,
I know this is a long shot, but do you still have your Felt C-city D and if so would you be willing to sell it?
Thanks,
Mark
818-983-1575
Mwthomson3@gmail.com

Originally Posted by RT

Old 02-26-15, 10:50 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Liked 3,680 Times in 2,381 Posts
you've got a fever, and the only prescription is more bikes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idO3VjT8sjk
Old 02-26-15, 11:21 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
It won't be for commuting, but I bought a Proflex 756. It isn't complete (and won't have a Girvin fork, cause I don't feel like forking over [haha] the kind of money people want for one). For reference: https://www.bikejournal.com/images/GnomeDSCI1391.jpg

The price was right for it and it should be a fun ride once I build it up