Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Question for female riders - get cat calls?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Question for female riders - get cat calls?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-11, 07:33 AM
Rhodabike

Bikes: Reynolds 531P road bike, Rocky Mountain Metropolis, Rocky Mountain Sherpa 10, Look 566

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sggoodri
One would think that if men liked looking at women cycling, they would behave in a manner that makes women feel as comfortable as possible doing so, which means leaving them alone.
That would require thought and brain cells. Not something that men of that type - and they are fortunately rare - actually have.
Old 05-22-11, 08:55 AM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Liked 109 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by djork
I'm sure sometimes people mistake me for a chick since I have long hair--though I tie it into a ponytail and then loop it to make it shorter--and a small frame. Don't get any whistles...maybe because with my tight jersey I'm a bit "flat chested"! Haha!
I'm sure it's my ponytail that's caused more than one car full of testosterone to pull up along side me, only to have jaws drop when they see my beard, and a quick acceleration from embarrassment... :-)
Old 05-22-11, 10:31 AM
Accordion

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale CAAD10

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A guy started riding with me a couple weeks ago. I do a 50-miler out to the sea and back and about 10 miles in he said he was going the same way and said he'd ride with me. I was HORRIFIED that upon passing every woman riding a bike he would say "Wooo hooooo! Hey baby! Looking good!" He never got a response. Then when we were riding through Huntington Beach and had to stop at the Main Street light he started in on every girl walking across the street. "Hey Baby! Where ya goin'? Lookin HAWTTT!" I was so embarrassed to be lumped in with him that at the turnaround point I told him that I needed to make a few work calls and could be up to an hour. He said he didn't have that kind of time (Thank GOD!) and took off. I waited about 15 minutes and then peacefully made my way back home.

I've never cat-called a woman in my life. That happens to you when you're raised with your Mom and 5 sisters.
Old 05-22-11, 11:25 AM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm a guy and I've gotten "woo hoo" from car loads of girls more than once. Always in the summer when I ride without a shirt. I am a realist. I know they are making fun of me. But I think it's kind of fun.
Old 05-22-11, 01:58 PM
travelmama

Bikes: Kona Ute, Nishiki 4130, Trek 7000, K2 Mach 1.0, Novara Randonee, Schwinn Loop, K2 Zed 1.0, Schwinn Cream, Torker Boardwalk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Accordion
A guy started riding with me a couple weeks ago. I do a 50-miler out to the sea and back and about 10 miles in he said he was going the same way and said he'd ride with me. I was HORRIFIED that upon passing every woman riding a bike he would say "Wooo hooooo! Hey baby! Looking good!" He never got a response. Then when we were riding through Huntington Beach and had to stop at the Main Street light he started in on every girl walking across the street. "Hey Baby! Where ya goin'? Lookin HAWTTT!" I was so embarrassed to be lumped in with him that at the turnaround point I told him that I needed to make a few work calls and could be up to an hour. He said he didn't have that kind of time (Thank GOD!) and took off. I waited about 15 minutes and then peacefully made my way back home.

I've never cat-called a woman in my life. That happens to you when you're raised with your Mom and 5 sisters.
Why lie when you had the chance to call him on his bad behavior?
Old 05-22-11, 02:23 PM
vtjim
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sggoodri
One would think that if men liked looking at women cycling, they would behave in a manner that makes women feel as comfortable as possible doing so, which means leaving them alone.
No kidding. It's embarrassing, as a guy. Why be so boorish? The worst thing I do is a brief head turn to have a look at the stern, so to speak. Even then, I'm scared I'll get caught peeking! I guess if that happens, she's looking at me too, so it doesn't matter.
Old 05-22-11, 02:42 PM
Ira B

Bikes: 84 Raleigh Technium- 89 Shogun Mt. Bike-96 Miyata 914

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by scroca
I'm a guy and I've gotten "woo hoo" from car loads of girls more than once. Always in the summer when I ride without a shirt. I am a realist. I know they are making fun of me. But I think it's kind of fun.
I've gotten a few of those too, but at 51 years old I prefer to take it at face value and let it feed my ego.
Old 05-23-11, 08:01 AM
philski

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
29 year old male, I wind up getting cat-called a few times each summer by the ladies. I enjoy it.

There is a line between complimentary and sexual innuendo. Not all women (or men) are alike and I know some women who don't mind cat calls that don't cross that line. It's an ego boost for them, too...
Old 05-23-11, 08:24 AM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Decades ago at a bus stop a car pulled up to the stop sign and a guy leaned out of the passenger window and said to a girl nearby, "Hey baby, wanna f$%# ?". Her reply was classic, "No, but my dad does, is your mom home?".

They drove off without another sound.
Old 05-23-11, 09:02 AM
Accordion

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale CAAD10

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by travelmama
Why lie when you had the chance to call him on his bad behavior?
Because he wasn't doing anything illegal. I just disagreed with his actions. Why start a big thing - he was about 55 years old and anything I would say wouldn't make him change his ways - you'd have to be there.

So much easier to just part peacefully and enjoy my ride rather than get into a whole big thing for no reason whatsoever.
Old 05-23-11, 09:21 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I'm feeling a bit self-conscious here - whenever I ride in a dress people tend to avoid me like the plague...they don't even make eye contact, let alone say anything to me. I wonder why that is?

"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 05-23-11, 09:24 AM
sggoodri

Bikes: 1983 Trek 500, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2023 Litespeed Watia

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Because he wasn't doing anything illegal. I just disagreed with his actions. Why start a big thing - he was about 55 years old and anything I would say wouldn't make him change his ways - you'd have to be there.

So much easier to just part peacefully and enjoy my ride rather than get into a whole big thing for no reason whatsoever.
I think the most effective approach requires being subtle, calm, and non-confrontational enough to avoid putting the buffoon on the defensive, and inviting backlash, yet being clear enough that you're not enjoying spending time with him when he behaves that way. You can't change what he does on his own, but you can disinvite yourself from his company when he behaves inappropriately, and this seems like an important enough reason to be truthful about it. You don't even need to say that he's wrong, just that it makes you feel uncomfortable to be around it.
Old 05-23-11, 09:26 AM
tjspiel

Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
I'm feeling a bit self-conscious here - whenever I ride in a dress people tend to avoid me like the plague...they don't even make eye contact, let alone say anything to me. I wonder why that is?

Sorry Dude, not everyone can pull off purple eye shadow.
Old 05-23-11, 09:42 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Liked 4,094 Times in 1,516 Posts
I'm a guy and I got a catcall from a car load of guys once. I guess at automobile speeds long hair is enough to do it for them. I'm thinking the guy who yelled got some serious ribbing from his buddies when they saw my beard.
Old 05-23-11, 09:46 AM
colleen c
I am a caffine girl

Bikes: 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp...2010 Scott CR1 CF...2007 Novara FS Float2.0...2009 Specialized Hardrock Disc...2009 Schwinn Le Tour GSr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tjspiel
Sorry Dude, not everyone can pull off purple eye shadow.
The purple eye shadow is for the Hi Viz "see and be seen" plan.
Old 05-23-11, 10:04 AM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I'm a guy and I got a catcall from a car load of guys once. I guess at automobile speeds long hair is enough to do it for them. I'm thinking the guy who yelled got some serious ribbing from his buddies when they saw my beard.
Same here. I used to keep my hair long, and my pony tail would throw people off. I wish I could have taken pictures of some of the expressions I saw on the faces of folks realizing they had just ogled a man's ass.

Now (with short hair), I get occasional thumb's ups and comments from females, which I don't mind.
Old 05-23-11, 10:05 AM
Rhodabike

Bikes: Reynolds 531P road bike, Rocky Mountain Metropolis, Rocky Mountain Sherpa 10, Look 566

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by scroca
Decades ago at a bus stop a car pulled up to the stop sign and a guy leaned out of the passenger window and said to a girl nearby, "Hey baby, wanna f$%# ?". Her reply was classic, "No, but my dad does, is your mom home?".

They drove off without another sound.
Brillant! I love it! Almost makes me wish I still got catcalls so I could use it some time.
Old 05-23-11, 10:13 AM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Originally Posted by chipcom

This one's a winner, Chipcom. Definitely one of your best.

Old 05-23-11, 10:21 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by canyoneagle

This one's a winner, Chipcom. Definitely one of your best.

Not me...I am photochop challenged and just a pretty face. This one is an AllenG masterpiece, if I recall correctly.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 05-23-11, 10:21 AM
canyoneagle

I understand what you are saying but there is a reason I said you had to be there. I don't want to get in a whole thing but this guy had been in 10 fights with roadies this year. Two are suing him currently for assault. He rides their wheel and when they tell him to back off he challenges them to a fight. Instead of a bike pump he keeps a retractable cop nightstick affixed to his downtube. I found this all out as I rode along and just listened. He challenged one guy to "Get the #@$# back here you @#$@ and I'll kick your #%$@" when the guy said "Move Over" because we were riding two abreast and he was coming the opposite way and felt like my partner didn't give him enough room.

There was nothing subtle about this dude and anything other than a "Have a nice day" would have proved troublesome.
Holy crap. This guy sounds like a tinder box of testosterone ready to blow.
Perhaps the karmic wheel is about ready to unleash on his ass. at least I hope it does - he deserves whatever he has coming.

Good call on your part to gracefully let him move on - guys like that are not capable of taking in what you have to say when they're all pumped up on themselves.
Old 05-23-11, 10:36 AM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MNBikeCommuter
I'm sure it's my ponytail that's caused more than one car full of testosterone to pull up along side me, only to have jaws drop when they see my beard, and a quick acceleration from embarrassment... :-)
I had this happen back in the 80s when I was younger, much thinner and had long hair. IROC-Zs and Monte Carlos would pull up from behind and the guys would shout out all kinds of crude stuff. But when they would pull along side and see that I was a guy they'd call me a ****** (bundle of sticks) and threaten me.

I still witness the crap some women have to put up with when they're just trying to get from one place to another or enjoy a bike ride. I mean sure, a bike can be like a fashion accessory and really make a woman look even more attractive but I sure don't think it's necessary to vocalize my thoughts. I'm sure glad I'm an old guy (who keeps his mouth shut).
Old 05-23-11, 10:48 AM
Praxis
Not a legend

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ira B
The only thing that bothers women more than men always making wolf whistles at them is never having men make wolf whistles at them.
Bull. It's harassment. And while you (the generic "you") may shrug it off as no big deal, that doesn't mean it isn't a big deal.

I see a lot of responses that seem to trivialize the issue; it's not going to change unless people speak up about it. Women (and men) deserve to be able to cycle (and everything else) without being harassed.
Old 05-23-11, 10:53 AM
buzzman
----

Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
Sorry if I slightly divert here but this thread reminds of a funny story of riding with my extremely socially gregarious brother-in-law. He's one of those riders who keeps a running commentary on anything and everything- almost always very positive, often self-deprecating and always encouraging to those around him.

One early morning we're setting off on a 3 day tour and are riding in a sparsely populated but still residential area with lots of nice houses and beautiful lawns and gardens. He's quite a gardener himself and we're commenting on the hard work it takes to maintain these lawns and yards. Ahead he spots a woman bent over at the waist, weeding her gorgeous flower garden, she was middle aged and a bit wide in the beam and I'm sure on this early Sunday morning she was convinced she was blissfully alone in her garden. My brother-in-law in full-voice very brightly shouts- in praise of her gardening, "Looking GOOD!!!"

Well, the woman bolted upright instantaneously and shot us a look like she was using all her restraint from removing our manhood with a pair of gardening shears. I've never seen my brother-in-law at such a loss for words, we were moving at quite a clip at the time and just rolled on but he was far more judicious in his commentary the rest of the day.
Old 05-23-11, 10:59 AM
snowman40

Bikes: Fuji

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vtjim
I've had "nice legs" yelled at me from time to time. I don't mind.

I just smile politely and/or say hi to women as we pass. I try not to be a creepy old guy.
That. but I'm not 'old', unless it is that car full of teenage girls screaming "Hey hot stuff!" Then I know I've become that old creepy guy.....

O man, if the wife found out the calls I get when riding.... Good thing I keep those things to myself and you guys!
Old 05-23-11, 11:01 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
One of my female coworkers likes it when people don't notice she's female when she's out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.