Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How fast can you run a mile?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How fast can you run a mile?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-11, 01:32 AM
davids0507

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Runner 1
The mile is by far my weakest event, but it's 4:28 anyways. The 8K is probably my best in 25:27 followed by my 10 mile PR at whatever 5:29 pace works out to be.

Still hoping to PR again if I get over this dumb injury! I watched from the sidelines as everyone else on my team drop from 15:20 to 14:30 5K's this season -- not a good feeling.

Surprisingly, the fitness hasn't translated over to cycling as well as I would have hoped. My best "TT" so far on my road bike is 5.5 miles at 22.5 mph.
Funny how that works, huh? I'm much worse at cycling than I was at running.

By the way, 55 minutes for 10 miles is worse than a 4:28. Your 8K is closer to your mile in quality.
Old 06-25-11, 08:00 AM
Runner 1
Cookies!

Bikes: Red Huffy, CAAD10 Rival

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davids0507
Funny how that works, huh? I'm much worse at cycling than I was at running.

By the way, 55 minutes for 10 miles is worse than a 4:28. Your 8K is closer to your mile in quality.
I guess it's all perspective. On my team, I am by FAR the worst miler. I think the next slowest is like 4:15 (converted from a 1500m). But I can hold my own in the 8K pretty well. Plus, look how many high schoolers can run 4:28, but there's few that can run an 8K or 10 miler that fast.

From a triathlon perspective, though, the 4:28 mile is probably harder, but that's only because these guys don't focus on speed. If they wanted to, they could probably improve their mile pretty quickly by training for it, but there's not much reason to.
Old 06-25-11, 08:05 AM
akansaskid
Freddin' it

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hhnngg1
Then you picked a horrible analogy. Jim Ryun was a legend in running -to group him into your typical 'I gave up because he was faster than I was' is a compelte joke, as he was such an anomaly that his records stood for 20+ years.
No "analogy" was intended, nor was any "grouping." It was the 1960s, in a small Kansas city, our TV got one channel, there was no Internet. The running boom was years away. A kid in your school runs 4:11, some other Kansas kid runs 3:59. You can't see into the future 20 years. You just know you're not a player in that game. Probably before your time, I'd guess.
Old 06-25-11, 10:43 AM
Citadel01grad

Bikes: 2011 Motobecane Vent Noir, 2007 Mongoose Maneuver MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My best mile that I'm aware of was 5:03 when the split was called during a PT test in college. My average pace now in a 5K is around 6:15.
Old 06-25-11, 10:48 AM
hhnngg1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Are all you sub 6min/mile runners triathletes or pure roadies who basically never run?
Old 06-25-11, 11:52 AM
dissident

Bikes: Felt Z85

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can jog a 6 minute but feel no need to do so. Some people are hardcore, live life to the fullest testosterone induced types, but I've always been more relaxed. For the average person, jogging the casual 4 miles I do they think that's really good. For me it's just a way to keep myself sane. I've also never cared much what people think, nor do I constantly analyze and compare myself to others which I'm told is odd, that most people are constantly sizing each other up. Meh.
Old 06-25-11, 12:24 PM
the cyclops

Bikes: 2010 Jamis allegro 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are all you sub 6min/mile runners triathletes or pure roadies who basically never run?
I know its amazing right??? And to think I have trained for 3+years doing intervals,tempos,longruns,hill work,speed work,etc and can only run a 7:40 and even higher than that when I go for distance...These guys must all be prodigys
Old 06-25-11, 03:48 PM
hhnngg1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dissident
I can jog a 6 minute but feel no need to do so. Some people are hardcore, live life to the fullest testosterone induced types, but I've always been more relaxed. For the average person, jogging the casual 4 miles I do they think that's really good. For me it's just a way to keep myself sane. I've also never cared much what people think, nor do I constantly analyze and compare myself to others which I'm told is odd, that most people are constantly sizing each other up. Meh.

Again, I call TOTAL BS here.

Nobody 'jogs' a 6 minute mile. Even one of the world's best marathoners, Ryan Hall, who holds the American all-time marathon record, does easy runs at a 7min/mile clip.

The fact that you even word the use 'jog' shows your lack of true running experience. It would be like saying I'm going to 'pedal' an easy 27mph paceline. Yeah, right.

I think running posts attract the highest BS to fact ratio of any thread on BF.
Old 06-25-11, 04:03 PM
chadwick
Slower than Yesterday

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Specialized Fatboy Carbon Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My best mile time in the past year has been between 7:00 and 7:29. Before doing speed-work for the first time in December & January, my best mile was about 8:30. That block of speed-work was telling for me in just how hard you can push yourself and not actually die.

I wouldn't expect improved times from the speed-work without more strength training and a less body mass to haul around, but I may be wrong there.

I ran my first mile, ever, in November of 2006 at age 35, so being able to do this at all has been great fun.
Old 06-25-11, 04:08 PM
runner pat

Bikes: Invacare Force 3 handcycle

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Nobody 'jogs' a 6 minute mile. Even one of the world's best marathoners, Ryan Hall, who holds the American all-time marathon record, does easy runs at a 7min/mile clip.

The fact that you even word the use 'jog' shows your lack of true running experience. It would be like saying I'm going to 'pedal' an easy 27mph paceline. Yeah, right.

Where do you get a seven minute pace for a world class runner? Hall would run around six minute pace for an easy run unless he's warming up.
Old 06-25-11, 04:18 PM
hhnngg1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by runner pat
Where do you get a seven minute pace for a world class runner? Hall would run around six minute pace for an easy run unless he's warming up.
In an interview about a year and a half ago, he said he did his easy runs with his wife (also a national-caliber runner) at 7min/mile.

Considering he runs marathons at 5:05/mile, this is an expected pace. Experienced marathoners generally will run their easy runs approx 1:30-2min/mile slower than race pace.
Old 06-25-11, 04:21 PM
runner pat

And his wife's proper easy pace is probably close to seven minute pace. He probably does that to have time together and he may have problems keeping himself at the correct pace and may tend to go too fast on his own.

And his marathon PR is at 4:49 pace.
Old 06-25-11, 04:25 PM
hhnngg1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ryan also just rode Old LaHonda nearby , a popular short time-trial hill, on a bike. Did it in 18:50ish, about what a Cat2 would do it in.

Record is 12:50, and most pros cyclists who have done it are under 17:00.

Ironically, I'll bet he could RUN up that hill faster than he can bike it!
Old 06-25-11, 04:39 PM
gazelle5333

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
used to be able to run a 5:4x mile in high school...now it's a little higher...still running 3 mile triathlon legs in sub 7 min mile splits though. Once pulled off a 12:25 two mile in high school too
Old 06-25-11, 04:47 PM
SBRDude
Godfather of Soul

Bikes: 2002 Litespeed Vortex, 2010 Specialized Tricross Expert,2008 Gary Fischer Hi Fi Carbon, 2002 Specialized S-Works hard tail, 1990 Kestrel KM 40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, only that every time this type of question is asked on a roadbike forum, you get tons of guys blowing smoke out of their a$$ about how they ran a 4:xx mile in HS or a low 5min mile with no training, but sad them, now they're 40 and even with training can't run faster than 8min/mile for a 5k. Sorry, but if you're running 4:xx in HS for a mile, you're gonna still be kicked MAJOR butt on the run, even at age 50 with minimal training. I don't know anyone in real life who ran that fast and let their pride allow them to be an 8min/mile 5k runner, let alone 9 & 10 min/mile.

James_Amtrak sounds legit, though. That's exactly what type of training it takes to even be a contender for that type of pace. And yes, a 4:13 mile should put you in national class for HS, if not outright going for the national championship 'back in the day.'

I rarely believe folks who say that on no training and no endurance background, they went out and ran a sub 5:20 mile in HS. That just doesn't happen, and when it does, they'll invariably find themselves competing in and/or recruited for track and field as a natural. Odds are that people who do that don't have their memory correct or are confusing 1500m with the mile.
I ran track and cross country in high school and for a year in junior college. As far as garden variety runners went, I was decent, but I was pretty slow compared to my teammates. I think my best mile in high school was 4:50 and my fastest 10k was 37:12 (exactly a 6 min mile). When I did triathlons (in my mid to late 20s), my fastest runs were at a 6 min mile for some tris with 5 mile run legs (probably about a 20 mi bike leg). I was a good amateur, but not great. I don't run much anymore because I tend to get injuries. The last time I tried to get back into running (2 years ago, so I would have been 43), I was in decent shape from cycling and swimming, but could only manage about an 8 min/mile pace for a few miles. Some of it was due to being heavier - about 20 lbs heavier then than at my peak of doing triathlons, but my triathlon weight was also about 20 lbs higher than my high school/college weight, and I was a better runner when doing triathlons than when I ran track and cross country. So, the combination of age, weight, and not running anymore has - no surprise here - left me slower!

I like to think that if I could back into running (which I hope to this fall and winter), that I could still routinely hold a 7 min/mile pace for training and something faster for a 5k/10k race, but I don't know how realistic that is.
Old 06-25-11, 07:45 PM
therhodeo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
5:54 in high school. 55 second on the quarter which was my best distance. This was all as a 220lb football player. Definitely not a runner.
Old 06-25-11, 09:21 PM
Runner 1
Cookies!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by therhodeo
5:54 in high school. 55 second on the quarter which was my best distance. This was all as a 220lb football player. Definitely not a runner.
Beats my 400!

Ryan also just rode Old LaHonda nearby , a popular short time-trial hill, on a bike. Did it in 18:50ish, about what a Cat2 would do it in.

Record is 12:50, and most pros cyclists who have done it are under 17:00.

Ironically, I'll bet he could RUN up that hill faster than he can bike it!
That is very interesting. All the (snobby) runners like to ask why Lance wasn't running 15 minute 5k's, but it's obvious the reverse trend (running to cycling) applies as well!
Old 06-25-11, 09:32 PM
runner pat

Beats my 400!

That is very interesting. All the (snobby) runners like to ask why Lance wasn't running 15 minute 5k's, but it's obvious the reverse trend (running to cycling) applies as well!
Don't forget Lance was a national champion in the sprint triathlon as a teenager(18 and 19 yo) so he was no slouch at running. He's just better at cycling.
Old 06-25-11, 10:15 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Liked 3,612 Times in 2,360 Posts
10 minutes per mile whether it's 3 or 2 miles. I never tried longer than 3 miles. I'm very fond of the 2 mile cuz it's quick. 20 minutes and I'm done.
Old 06-25-11, 10:34 PM
hhnngg1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Beats my 400!

Actually, though I haven't seen any of his early race results, I'm fairly certain that to compete as a national caliber triathlete, your standalone 5k should be 15:xx, and definitely no slower than 16:20. This is even 'back in the day' during Lance's early years. I'd bet 99% that when he was competing as a triathlete, he could throw down a 15:xx 5k. His most recent marathon results are not representative, as he really never trained more than lightly casual for the ones he did - which is a world away from training as a competitive budding professional triathlete.
Old 06-25-11, 10:48 PM
the cyclops

Bikes: 2010 Jamis allegro 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tell him man!!! Either these people are seriously mis-judging exactly how far they are running,or are straight out spitting BS...Who knows,all I know is I could not honestly tell you how fast I cycle(Well I am waiting on my new Knog nerd 12 computer to arrive so I can know) but I do know my run times,and I cant believe my eyes on some of these posts.
Old 06-25-11, 11:18 PM
sharrn

My fastest mile in high school was 7:14-7:30 ( I don't remember exactly.) but I wasn't big on P.E. back then. I've just never been into running, hence the slow time.

Old 06-25-11, 11:21 PM
happa95

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey everyone! I'm still in high school, just started actually (I just finished freshman year). Coming from an entirely non-athletic background in middle school, I decided that I wanted to be in shape during high school so I started running a few miles every day on my own and then with the cross country team for summer training. I actually started cycling as a way to cross train for running because I began to get aches and pains when I bumped up the mileage. I finished freshman track with a 5:31 mile which isn't fast by any means, but I was injured for the second half of the season so I feel like I could have gone 10-15 seconds faster. Either way, I've found cycling to be much more enjoyable and I intend on focusing entirely on cycling after sophomore year.
Old 06-25-11, 11:25 PM
Runner 1
Cookies!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, though I haven't seen any of his early race results, I'm fairly certain that to compete as a national caliber triathlete, your standalone 5k should be 15:xx, and definitely no slower than 16:20. This is even 'back in the day' during Lance's early years. I'd bet 99% that when he was competing as a triathlete, he could throw down a 15:xx 5k. His most recent marathon results are not representative, as he really never trained more than lightly casual for the ones he did - which is a world away from training as a competitive budding professional triathlete.
I'd agree with this. I feel like I've seen his youth results before but I can't remember where.
Old 06-26-11, 02:48 AM
JAMES_AMTRAK
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The funny thing is, with the proper inreval workout these guysthat run in the low to mid 5 min miles could be in th 4s easily. Like I said in my earlier post I would do 10 to 12 400m repeats and try to do them all uber a minute with limited recover then 2 day later go to 800m repeatss. It made my mile and 2 mile times drop significantly. My specialty was the 2 mile. 8 ran a excellent tine for the mile but hated it. I liked the more drawn out races. 3200m and 5000m. Of coruse you need a good base mileage fist. I love cyclig. I've ink been at it 12 or so weeks but it is awesome. Can't wait to compete in my first race

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.