Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

First Tri was fun

Search
Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

First Tri was fun

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-05, 11:39 AM
drunix
Are we having fun yet?

Bikes: Felt F75, Gary Fisher Big Sur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First Tri was fun

I was in my first triathlon this past Sunday (6/12/05). The event was a sprint-ish (500 yard swim/13 mile bike ride/3.4 mile trail run) tri that I entered to learn the ropes and to practice my transitions between the different segments.

Anyways, it was a blast. The swim was initially a little hairy since there was a lot of getting bumped, jostled and kicked in the first couple hundred yards, but once I got settled in it was great. I wish that they would encourage slower swimmers to start toward the back of the pack--it would certainly cut down on the initial bumping.

The bike was fun, but I think I'm going to have to invest in some aero bars (suggestions anyone?). So far, I can't see spending the money for a tri bike, but maybe that will change if cash flow loosens up and if I feel like I really want one after getting a few more events under my belt.

The run course was very nice--most of it was on the cross country course for the local high school. It had lots of small hills, but nothing too daunting. The only issue with the run was the heat. The event started at 8:00am, and it was already getting hot. The cloud cover burned off as I was starting the bike, and by the time I got to the run, it was pretty warm.

The winner finished in 1:05:55--it took me 1:19:06. Overall, I was quite pleased with the result and I'm looking forward to Olympic length events later this summer.

Dru
Old 06-16-05, 12:00 PM
^*^BATMAN^*^
I get high on lactic acid

Bikes: 2003 Cervelo P3/2003 Trek 2000/2005 Norco EXC 2.0ht

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congradulations. I would say for aero bars, i have syntace clip ons, dont work to bad for me.
Old 06-16-05, 12:06 PM
TriBob

Congrats.

I have Profile Airstryke.

Old 06-18-05, 11:56 AM
ht001

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I second the suggestion of the Syntace. They cost a little more than others though. I have the C2s and really like them.

Congrats on your first race...you know this is how the addiction starts...!
Old 06-20-05, 08:51 AM
drunix
Are we having fun yet?

Bikes: Felt F75, Gary Fisher Big Sur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ht001
I second the suggestion of the Syntace. They cost a little more than others though. I have the C2s and really like them.

Congrats on your first race...you know this is how the addiction starts...!
Funny, I think the addiction was starting even before the first race--the race was just the icing on the cake.
Old 06-21-05, 08:22 PM
ZackJones
On Your Right

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats on the first triathlon! When's the next one . As far as aerobars go I'll add another vote for Profile Airstrykes.