Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Texas
Reload this Page >

Anyone planning on riding the Austin Livestrong Challenge?

Search
Notices

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-11, 09:26 AM
Underground
Ride On.

Bikes: 2010 Trek 1.5, 2010 Specialized Langster, 2010 Specialized Hardrock Sport 29er, 2011 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I signed up for the 5k and the 65-mile ride the following day (I think that was the length I signed up for, either that or the century). I have never done this ride before, but I figured it would be MS-150 like. I also heard that you need to get out to Dripping Springs super early to avoid the traffic jam before the ride.

Curious if anyone else was planning on doing the ride as well. If anyone has done it, should I be aware of anything prior to the run/ride?
Old 06-03-11, 09:33 PM
joshuac

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Tarmac Pro SL2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
did the century last year - really nice route except for a few spots -

the beginning (within first 10 miles?) had a spot that had running water over the road. everyone had to stop and walk their bikes over it. this caused a bit of a traffic jam if you rolled into the area after the first group, and took awhile for everyone to get through it. hopefully they will go around this part this year.

the next 20-30 miles (or so) had lots of cattle guards to go over, but generally they weren't too bad. of course, it was around this time where i had my first flat (of 5) for the day. still, aside from the insane amount of flats, i ended up with a decent ride time... just add an hour for all that nonsense

the support was great, and at the halfway point they had some live music.

here's the route for the century (well, 90..) - https://connect.garmin.com/activity/54294746

if you're coming from central austin, you'll hit a lot of traffic. if you're coming from north austin, take the back way and you'll hit 0 traffic. 620 to hamilton pool road, then a couple fm roads will get you there and you'll avoid the long lines on 290/71
Old 06-07-11, 10:56 AM
Underground
Ride On.

Bikes: 2010 Trek 1.5, 2010 Specialized Langster, 2010 Specialized Hardrock Sport 29er, 2011 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info

I'm assuming packet pickup for the 5k and the ride will be held on that Friday before the event?
Old 06-27-11, 08:55 AM
H-Bear

Bikes: Scott

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Underground,

Congrats on signing up! In case you missed it, here's a thread from last year's ride:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...in-10-23-10-24

Feel free to view my photobucket from previous years:

As for your questions....

I signed up for the 5k and the 65-mile ride the following day (I think that was the length I signed up for, either that or the century).
There are several routes to choose from:

https://www.livestrong.org/Take-Actio...se-information

If you sign up for the 90-mile route but don't make it to the 36-mile rest stop by 11 am, they divert you to the 65-mile route. This will be my third year doing the 90-mile route and the past two years, made it to the check point with at least 30 - 45 minutes to spare.

I have never done this ride before, but I figured it would be MS-150 like.
I would relate it more to the second day due to several steep climbs, though a tad more challenging. If you didn't have any major issues during the MS150, especially in the park, shouldn't have any with this ride.

I also heard that you need to get out to Dripping Springs super early to avoid the traffic jam before the ride.
I get there about two hours prior and head to the starting line about an hour before. Coming from downtown, take 290W all the way to CS and it's a +/- 45 minute drive.

If anyone has done it, should I be aware of anything prior to the run/ride?
joshuac covered that pretty well. Expect a lot of congestion at the start, slowing down at cattle guards, and if the area gets rain, there will be some high water spots within the first +/- 10 miles. If you're doing the 90-mile route, keep these in mind so you can compensate for the delays.

Long answer short: Lots of hills and swirling winds. Good times.

I'm assuming packet pickup for the 5k and the ride will be held on that Friday before the event?
Packet pickup is at the convention center on Fri and Sat.

FYI - Last year, Mellow Johnny's had a group ride Friday morning. I came up early from Houston, did the 40(?) mile ride, took a shower at MJ's, checked into my hotel, and then went to the packet pickup.

Sorry for the long post but hopefully that covered most of your questions. If you need anything else, please do not hesitate to ask.
Old 06-28-11, 04:27 AM
Jamesw2

Bikes: Trek 1420 triple, Mercier Corvus, Globe 1 700, Surly Disc Trucker, GT Avalanche, GT Grade, GT Helion, Mercier Corvus, Motobacane Boris X7 Fat Bikes,

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Would like to ride

Transportation and accommodation are my reasons for not riding.
Can anyone organize a charter bus from Houston and hotel rooms?
Get a package price

Just an idea to rally around to save gas and congestion. ( sounds like an ad for an antacid)