Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Any Diabetic Cyclists?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Any Diabetic Cyclists?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-11, 06:13 AM
pcaldwell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It will be a year this week after being diagnosed. Still kind of crazy to me. I'm on Humulin N and Metformin. I always make sure to have a good meal/snack before riding. My levels usually get lower than higher.

T-1's, what's your favorite snack during the ride? I've found a few gels that are decently low in sugar and carbs, but haven't tried any out yet. Any suggestions?
Old 07-04-11, 06:42 AM
baj32161
Behind EVERYone!!!

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp 105 Double

Liked 97 Times in 30 Posts
Type II. Diagnosed 21 August 2003 and am missing 2 toes because of it (hence my sig).

― Bruce Lee
Old 07-04-11, 07:25 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Liked 601 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by pcaldwell
It will be a year this week after being diagnosed. Still kind of crazy to me. I'm on Humulin N and Metformin. I always make sure to have a good meal/snack before riding. My levels usually get lower than higher.

T-1's, what's your favorite snack during the ride? I've found a few gels that are decently low in sugar and carbs, but haven't tried any out yet. Any suggestions?
I carry a meter for rides over 60mi. It's the "one touch" and with the case will fit nicely under the seat with a small bungy cord (very small).

Snacks....my wife buys fruit snacks for our grandson's visits and we all like to nibble on them. I'll grab 6 packages and stuff them in the small tool bag. Any more than that and I need to stop for a meal instead. But at least the fruit snacks get me through. One package gives a handfull and with the watering up I'm good for another 60-90min of hard riding. Most of the time I wont let the blood sugar go lower than 75 and with the intense nature of biking in hot weather you can feel yourself getting low before it's critical but really, it's better to be a touch high so you can finish the trip well fueled.

Dont worry about the carbs if it's any concern to you......cycling is different, either you get the carbs or you go down. Easy choice, rough consequences.

I'm on Humulin "N", 30u in the morning and 25u late afternoon. On a ride day I'll be cutting back the afternoon dosage by 5u.

Bike safe and bike strong.

Last edited by OldsCOOL; 07-04-11 at 07:31 AM.
Old 07-04-11, 07:57 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Liked 464 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by pcaldwell
Just me???
Type 2 here for the last 15 years. After I returned to cycling last summer I went from 230 pounds to 180 pounds (and counting down).

I went from 140 units of insulin/day to just 20 units/day.

My mom died two years ago of complications from diabetes. She never learned to ride a bike, but this is what she bought me (more than 20 years ago):

When I die, it won't be of complications from diabetes.

Grazie Mami!
Old 07-04-11, 08:06 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
Type 2 here for the last 15 years. After I returned to cycling last summer I went from 230 pounds to 180 pounds (and counting down).

I went from 140 units of insulin/day to just 20 units/day.

My mom died two years ago of complications from diabetes. She never learned to ride a bike, but this is what she bought me (more than 20 years ago):

When I die, it won't be of complications from diabetes.

Grazie Mami!
Ohhhhh.....myyyyy.....wow. That sure is pleasing to the eye.
Old 07-04-11, 08:39 AM
Spam16v

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did a local cancer institute charity century, lined up in the AM. Guy ahead of me had a small seatpost mounted rack, and a small bag which wasn't abnormal for this event, lots of racks and bags as it's not a race. But he had a bunch of **** on his handle bars... I peeped further, my interest peeked on bike goodies, he had a meter zip tied to his left bar, a zip tie and rubber tube with a "pricky thing" for testing stuffed into it, syringes in a head tube bag and I presume insulin in the bag on the rack on ice... I was in awe, dedication.
Old 07-04-11, 07:27 PM
OldsCOOL

Originally Posted by Spam16v
I did a local cancer institute charity century, lined up in the AM. Guy ahead of me had a small seatpost mounted rack, and a small bag which wasn't abnormal for this event, lots of racks and bags as it's not a race. But he had a bunch of **** on his handle bars... I peeped further, my interest peeked on bike goodies, he had a meter zip tied to his left bar, a zip tie and rubber tube with a "pricky thing" for testing stuffed into it, syringes in a head tube bag and I presume insulin in the bag on the rack on ice... I was in awe, dedication.
Wow. Sounds like he brought the whole diabetic supply from home. And really, insulin does not need to be cooled as was thought in the old days. I hope someone would tell him.
Old 07-05-11, 01:10 PM
Spam16v

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Wow. Sounds like he brought the whole diabetic supply from home. And really, insulin does not need to be cooled as was thought in the old days. I hope someone would tell him.
That was my assumption... I didn't look inside his bag, I have no idea, I only assumed b/c I was acquainted with my old boyscout friends who had their crap on ice years ago.
Old 07-05-11, 10:32 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Liked 464 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Ohhhhh.....myyyyy.....wow. That sure is pleasing to the eye.
Thank you...she gets lots of looks (and comments).
Old 07-05-11, 11:47 PM
Hapsmo911

Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
Heres a good meter to carry on the bike. Its the smallest meter out atm.

https://www.northcoastmed.com/true2go.htm

Its about as small as a quarter.
Old 07-06-11, 04:06 AM
mortenfyhn

Bikes: Nishiki International

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by engstrom
I just can't imagine how difficult it would be to maintain good BG during cycling using multiple daily injections rather than a pump. Not that it's a breeze with a pump but at least I can turn down my basals (for me I turn them down a LOT) a couple hours before I ride and that keeps me in the right ballpark. If I was still using Lantus I imagine I'd have to be consuming carbs as quickly as I could while riding to keep from crashing.

I can't put up with a tubing leash on a pump so I ended up with an OmniPod (tubeless pump - you stick it on your body and control it with a wireless controller). Even then I had lots of problems with it coming off due to sweat from long rides in the heat until I started using Mastisol - now the pod stays put even through 3 hours rides in 90+ degree heat. Still, it's annoying to be wearing this thing 24/7 but it does make cycling possible for me and it does improve control so it's worth it to me.

My advice is to do your research, talk to your doctor and then try out a pump. Most of the pump companies offer trial periods where you get a full refund if you end up not liking their product. That way you could try a few a find the one you like best.
That's quite interesting. I've been thinking about getting some sort of pump for a while now, and I've got an appointment to schedule soon anyway. I'm very lucky in terms of costs, though, as I live in Norway. In a year, I don't pay more than a fixed sum of circa 180 quid for diabetic supplies.
Old 07-06-11, 09:12 AM
jdom

Bikes: 08 LHT and 13 giant defy 2 composite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by engstrom
I just can't imagine how difficult it would be to maintain good BG during cycling using multiple daily injections rather than a pump. Not that it's a breeze with a pump but at least I can turn down my basals (for me I turn them down a LOT) a couple hours before I ride and that keeps me in the right ballpark. If I was still using Lantus I imagine I'd have to be consuming carbs as quickly as I could while riding to keep from crashing.

I can't put up with a tubing leash on a pump so I ended up with an OmniPod (tubeless pump - you stick it on your body and control it with a wireless controller). Even then I had lots of problems with it coming off due to sweat from long rides in the heat until I started using Mastisol - now the pod stays put even through 3 hours rides in 90+ degree heat. Still, it's annoying to be wearing this thing 24/7 but it does make cycling possible for me and it does improve control so it's worth it to me.

My advice is to do your research, talk to your doctor and then try out a pump. Most of the pump companies offer trial periods where you get a full refund if you end up not liking their product. That way you could try a few a find the one you like best.
Last year I didn't worry too much about my blood sugars and just rode.I thought they were pretty good,it turns out my A1C was 8.0.This pathetic control was with multiple injections.

I'm still struggleing this year with riding but am doing better before a 2 hour ride it was 126 after it was 113,thats much better.

I'm still working on getting a pump,not just for cycling but for the rest of life,such as work,picnics and stuff.
I'll be seeing a pump educator in a couple of weeks.Hopefully by the end of summer I'll have one and can start figureing it out to get a jump on next year.
Old 07-07-11, 07:47 PM
pcaldwell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone know of a good low sugar gel or any ride snacks for Type 1s?
Old 07-07-11, 08:17 PM
jdom

Bikes: 08 LHT and 13 giant defy 2 composite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On short rides 2 hours and under I just drink gatorade and carry at least one gel pack just incase.
Gel packs do tend to be a bit much though and have just recently got some chewable gel shots.These come with about 10-12 chewable things in a pack so you can adjust how much sugar you are getting.

For longer rides I like to snack on trail mix regularly,with this you get some carbs and some protien and fat to help slow the carb absorption.This work for me for several hours but I still need to stop and eat a regular lunch or something.

Really the best thing to do is figure out what works for you.In the mean time carry more of those gel packs than you think you will ever need just for emergencies.
Old 07-08-11, 12:59 PM
tfg111

Bikes: Specialized Ground Control Mtn Bike, Cannondale CAAD9 6 Triple

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a type 1 for 13 years. Using a mini-med pump. I tend to eat before I go, and I eat about every 10 miles or so, unless I am racing. The stress of the race keeps my blood sugars up. I have a hard time telling if I am low on the bike. Whenever, it seems harder than it should I usually check and am low. I have to mess around with the temp. basel again. I am running now more than biking, so I am a little out of practice.