Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is Campagnolo becoming rarer?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Is Campagnolo becoming rarer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-11, 09:22 PM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AlexZ
Campy were innovators.......A long time ago. Now they are surviving on the legend while making expensive , mediocre crap.
I guess you haven't been following this thread because Campy Record can be purchased for less than Dura Ace or SRAM Red. As for a it being crap, it is the only group that isn't disposable. Anyone that has used or looked at all the groups will tell you that none of the top level groups are crap. However, my bike shop tells me that they have had more issues with SRAM than the other two groups.
Old 07-10-11, 09:27 PM
Vicelord
Banned

Bikes: BMC RoadRacer SL01, Kona Kula FrankensteinDeluxe, Schwinn Powerglide.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Jr59, 25 miles was more than plenty for me to figure out I didn't like the thumb shudders. That's really all I said about my experience so go pound sand.
Old 07-10-11, 09:34 PM
Carbon Unit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't undstand why everyone needs to get in a pissing contest over which group is better, cheaper, lighter, etc. Would you prefer that only one company makes groups? Without competition there would be no innovation. It is the same with pedals. Everyone likes something different or there would only be a need for one pedal manufacturer.
Old 07-10-11, 09:48 PM
Jay-W

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbon Unit
I don't undstand why everyone needs to get in a pissing contest over which group is better, cheaper, lighter, etc. Would you prefer that only one company makes groups? Without competition there would be no innovation. It is the same with pedals. Everyone likes something different or there would only be a need for one pedal manufacturer.
Because their small egos are tied to brand loyalty. They don't want to be seen to have made the "wrong choice". This despite the fact that all three groupset makers and most bike makers produce good stuff so it's pretty ridiculous.

New riders are prone to this. Nothing wrong with that, everyone has to start somewhere. However being willfully ignorant is another thing, especially after being shown over and over and over...
Old 07-10-11, 10:06 PM
crhilton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jay-W
Because their small egos are tied to brand loyalty. They don't want to be seen to have made the "wrong choice". This despite the fact that all three groupset makers and most bike makers produce good stuff so it's pretty ridiculous.

New riders are prone to this. Nothing wrong with that, everyone has to start somewhere. However being willfully ignorant is another thing, especially after being shown over and over and over...
But but but, I made this leap and now I'm not sure I can jump back over the gorge!!! Must force others to jump with me!
Old 07-10-11, 10:40 PM
jayp410

Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by dgasmd
I seriously don't know where you guys get your info or maybe it is that most of you make up as you go along. Or mabye you are just repeating what you heard some punk at a LBS say. Either way, Top end Campagnolo group is without a doubt the lightest. Campagnolo is also not only cheaper to purchase, but it is cheaper to maintain too. That is assuming you are not limited to only buying stuff at your LBS. I personally buy qhere it is cheaper and let one of my LBS do some work if I need it, otherwise I do it myself. It is not rocket science. I say it is cheaper to maintain as wel because chains and cassettes last far longer than Chitmano and SRAM, therefore, in the short and long run you save money there. Jut about everything else that wears over time last far longer on Campagnolo components, and as said before, everything is rebuildable. On top of it, this stuff simply last forever. I have a Croce group from back in the 80's that not only looks like new, but it works like new too. Parts are readily available too in a number of places, but you have to look for them. They will not be advertised at your LBS either as they would rather sell you a new SRAM briefter rather than telling you to get the parts to rebuild it as you could with Campagnolo.

I have actually started to see more bikes with Campagnolo as of late since the 11 sp stuff came out compared to previously. I'm talking about both at the LBS new bikes and out from bikes built from frame sets. Obviously, they seem to be more common in some areas of the country than in others for different reasons. South FL for example, is big into bling. So, you'll see $10K bikes dime a dozen and you tend to see more Campagnolo than in let's say GA, where Shimano seems to be king. No research into that comment. Just simple observation.

Oh, and the reason Campagnolo will NEVER go to the Shimano design for cassette placement is because Shimano is the poor design. This has been shown and proven and talked about over and over. Do a search here or in any other forum and you'll find more than plenty of info on it.
I've got no experience with Campagnolo, but use Shimano a lot and anyone referring to it as "Chitmano" loses a few points of credibility with me... and tell me your strong opinions come from riding somewhere other than South FL.

Last edited by jayp410; 07-10-11 at 10:44 PM.
Old 07-10-11, 10:51 PM
Carbon Unit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jayp410
I've got no experience with Campagnolo, but use Shimano a lot and anyone referring to it as "Chitmano" loses a few points of credibility with me... and tell me your strong opinions come from riding somewhere other than South FL.
I have no experience with Shimano either but a few weeks ago I had an opportunity to test ride a new brand of bike. The bike didn't impress me but it had new Ultegra and I was nice stuff. I need to buy my wife a bike and I think the bike will have Ulegra on it.
Old 07-10-11, 11:13 PM
jayp410

I have no experience with Shimano either but a few weeks ago I had an opportunity to test ride a new brand of bike. The bike didn't impress me but it had new Ultegra and I was nice stuff. I need to buy my wife a bike and I think the bike will have Ulegra on it.
I've ridden a 105/Ultegra mix and am currently using DA7800. Living in the rolling hills of MD, I am constantly shifting. On a typical 50 mile ride I shift hundreds of times...1000 shifts is well within the realm of possibility. I've had to adjust my RD barrel shifter maybe 3 times in the past year, and dropped my chain once in the past year. There's not much to complain about really.
Old 07-10-11, 11:36 PM
Carbon Unit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've ridden a 105/Ultegra mix and am currently using DA7800. Living in the rolling hills of MD, I am constantly shifting. On a typical 50 mile ride I shift hundreds of times...1000 shifts is well within the realm of possibility. I've had to adjust my RD barrel shifter maybe 3 times in the past year, and dropped my chain once in the past year. There's not much to complain about really.
I am relucant to spend a lot of money on a bike for my wife in case she doesn't get into like I have. Does 105 perform like Ulltegra but heavier?
Old 07-10-11, 11:45 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Vicelord
I think many people find Campy to be too expensive.
Don't know how to shop.

Sure, it's 11 speed if you get the SR stuff,
Or Record or Chorus.

but it's heavier, costlier,
Incorrect.

and personlly I hate the shifters. Thumb? How sora-esque.
Have you actually ridden a Campy equipped bike?
Old 07-10-11, 11:51 PM
jayp410

I am relucant to spend a lot of money on a bike for my wife in case she doesn't get into like I have. Does 105 perform like Ulltegra but heavier?
Maybe someone else can answer. My only experience with 105/Ultegra is the older 9-speed generation (105 shifters/FD, Ultegra RD). From what I've heard, both series have been refined since then but not sure how they compare. I will say that the DA7800 FD is noticeably better than the old 105 FD...maybe they have improved the 105 one now though.
Old 07-10-11, 11:55 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I rode 270 miles on Ultegra in March and 160 on Tiagra in June. I'll stick with my Record, Chorus and Centaur bikes.
Old 07-11-11, 12:27 AM
rollin
Sua Ku

Bikes: Trek 5200, BMC SLC01, BMC SSX, Specialized FSR, Holdsworth Criterium

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
More or less correct. The new Ultegra is really very very good.

That said in my opinion it's better to commit to a compatible brand so you can share wheelsets. So I would say go Campagnolo
Old 07-11-11, 12:32 AM
LemondFanForeve
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ahsposo
Oh, yeah.

. While it is innovative it lacks the "soul" of Campy and is generally regarded as suspect among cyclists.
I gotcha...I misread it.....I thought you were saying that Campy partts were "suspect" to bike riders? i was like "WTF ARE YOU ON DUDE"? then, i realized you were saying SRAM was suspect, as compared to Campy parts?

Campy stuff is "regarded by most cyclists"(at least by myself and everyone i know that has ridden a bike), as the "holy grail" of bike comps......

Last edited by LemondFanForeve; 07-11-11 at 12:38 AM.
Old 07-11-11, 12:33 AM
LemondFanForeve
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flip
huh?
LOL, said the same thing...wtf?
Old 07-11-11, 12:46 AM
Carbon Unit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rollin
More or less correct. The new Ultegra is really very very good.

That said in my opinion it's better to commit to a compatible brand so you can share wheelsets. So I would say go Campagnolo
Yes, it does make sense. I have considered buying my wife a frame and putting my Chorus triple on her frame. I would probably need to replace the crank arms to a 170 but everything else would be fine for her. I have been wanting to buy a Record 11 compact for a while but the Chorus triple I have works great. I would only need to buy handlebars and a seat post. I have a set of Mavic CXP33s that would work for her in the short term.
Old 07-11-11, 12:53 AM
rollin
Sua Ku

Bikes: Trek 5200, BMC SLC01, BMC SSX, Specialized FSR, Holdsworth Criterium

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yes, it does make sense. I have considered buying my wife a frame and putting my Chorus triple on her frame. I would probably need to replace the crank arms to a 170 but everything else would be fine for her. I have been wanting to buy a Record 11 compact for a while but the Chorus triple I have works great. I would only need to buy handlebars and a seat post. I have a set of Mavic CXP33s that would work for her in the short term.
CarbonUnit - this is not an excuse to upgrade everything you have! Man I can hear the cogs turning from here, she'll be riding Record in no time - Super Record anyone??
Old 07-11-11, 06:20 AM
kergin

Bikes: 1994 Proctor Townsend Reynolds 753, TT S3 True North, Kona Major Jake, Kona Honky Tonk, Marinoni Puima, Cannondale BBU

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would argue that Campagnolo has never even approached ubiquity in North America. Others have stated various reasons, and I essentially think it comes down to lack of OE distribution. Campy likely doesn't care about this mass market, because they're able to do a healthy business as they are (why grow for growth's sake?). Going back to the OE argument: most people will never change the gruppo that came on their bike, and road biking is a relatively expensive sport as it is. When you add up the lack of OE involvement with the previous assumption that people don't change their gruppos, and add the overall expense of the sport, you quickly see why Campagnolo is rare(r).

If Bob D is right, and I think it's very likely that he is, Campy is in no trouble, because they're selling basically everything they can make. There must be a market out there for this stuff, and I would guess that it's entirely high-end and aftermarket. These customers are likely buying campy for any combination of exclusivity, durability, performance or nostalgia; for myself, it comes down to the first three.

Lastly, at the risk of coming off as a zealot, my experiences with Campy, SRAM, and Shimano have shown me that, overall, Campagnolo parts do last longer; chains, cassettes, shifters, and especially rear derailleurs wear much longer than SRAM or Shimano. Given two 7 year old rear derailleurs, one being Ultegra, and the other Chorus, both having been ridden hard, I guarantee you that the Chorus could be re-built, whereas the Shimano is going in the garbage.

Aside: I personally laugh at everyone that derides Campy yet rocks a set of Fulcrum wheels. I know you're out there.
Old 07-11-11, 06:26 AM
dgasmd
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh my god, I lost my credibility with a bunch of anonymous people in a web forum? I just hope I don't hang myself today............

Bottom line is that they all are functional. Some have some features others don't, some have some abilities or lack of that others don't, and in the end it comes down to preference. People tend to choose things they are familiar with and see a lot of because it makes them comfortable. Choose what you think is best for you regardless. I rode Chitmano equipped bikes twice for a year. The rest of the time I have used Campagnolo. There is no going back!!!
Old 07-11-11, 07:05 AM
MegaTom

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL3, Lynskey Cooper CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LemondFanForeve
LOL, said the same thing...wtf?
WTF is wrong with you people? Did you just not notice the bits about NASA, DoD, 'blacker agencies' and underfed children? Clearly the entire post is in jest, yet somehow all you can process are those last 3 words. As 2ndGen posted in another thread: www.rif.org.
Old 07-11-11, 07:08 AM
Walter
SLJ 6/8/65-5/2/07

Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexZ
Campy were innovators.......A long time ago. Now they are surviving on the legend while making expensive , mediocre crap.
Of all the statements in this thread, the smart ones and the not so smart ones this one might be the dumbest. Congrats.

For years Campy was the standard for racing bikes. Even when Japanese components like SunTour Superbe and then Shimano Crane (later became DuraAce) matched Campy in performance and at least got close in durability Campy was still the standard.

Then Shimano got SIS right and things changed. Goodbye SunTour and hello DuraAce as a "legit" racing group. Racing legitimacy (as well as market dynamics that favor a huge company like Shimano) opened the door for market domination.

I still like my Campy.
Old 07-11-11, 08:01 AM
AndyK 

Bikes: '11 TIME NXR Instinct, '03 De Rosa Planet '79 Paris Sport (Moulton)

Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter
Of all the statements in this thread, the smart ones and the not so smart ones this one might be the dumbest. Congrats.

For years Campy was the standard for racing bikes. Even when Japanese components like SunTour Superbe and then Shimano Crane (later became DuraAce) matched Campy in performance and at least got close in durability Campy was still the standard.

Then Shimano got SIS right and things changed. Goodbye SunTour and hello DuraAce as a "legit" racing group. Racing legitimacy (as well as market dynamics that favor a huge company like Shimano) opened the door for market domination.

I still like my Campy.
Well put! I also love Campy, and use it on all my road bikes . I guess I am used to resting my fingers on my brake levers, and can't understand how you would want to swing your brake lever to shift!?

Old 07-11-11, 12:27 PM
tanguy frame

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have nothing to add. Campy was the gold standard in the 70's and some of us are just stuck. I use campy on all my bikes and that's the end of the story.
Old 07-11-11, 12:53 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Liked 278 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Silvercivic27
True, but Ferraris are pretty sweet too!
Why, yes they are!
Old 07-11-11, 12:56 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Liked 278 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Vicelord
It's always the last place you look.
Of course it would be the last place...why would you keep looking after you find it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.